How often to turn bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably depends on how much you use it. I use mine heavily on a daily basis, so i turn mine on a daily basis. I also use several different chains during the day. Evens out the wear. Welcome to AS. Hang on, its gonna be a bumpy ride!!:D

I didn't know how often to turn it. I have been turning about every other cord but maybe I need to do sooner.

I just do it randomly, no particular pattern. ie, when I have the bar off, I put it back on depending on which way the chain needs to go. Just knowing that it needs to be run with the print up sometimes and down sometimes will be adequate for most people's needs. As far as changing out chains, sprockets, etc I just do that on condition. I have too many saws to keep track of which chain has been run on which bar with which sprocket and haven't noticed any issues as long as the pitch and gauge is correct.

However, I have found that if you are taking pics of a saw to sell, it is better to put the bar on with the writing up because some people will think that you are an idiot and put it on upside down. lol

However, I have found that if you are taking pics of a saw to sell, it is better to put the bar on with the writing up because some people will think that you are an idiot and put it on upside down. lol

This is so true! I've had 3 or 4 neighbors come up to me and want to know why that bar is upside down, then I explained that if you always leave the bar letters up and never flip it, that it will not wear evenly (not that it will be perfect). Now all of their bars are flipped upside down lol. :rock: Im pretty sure they thought I was dumb until I told them. :chainsaw:

Local dealer recommendation: flip bar when changing chains after 4 sharpenings. Rotate 3 chains.

are you saying you only get 4 sharpening's per chain

I could have been clearer. I rotate chains and flip the bar after 4 sharpenings. Keep rotating chains until the cutters get filed down to the wear mark or start breaking. I'm guessing 100 hrs. for the last set of 3 semi-chisel chains on the MS260.

I just cut half the log with top of the bar so i dont have to flip it.

Latest posts

Back