How old to use a chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to rain on any of y'alls parades or anything... But umm it really depends.

Being fully honest, I started cutting at 14. Wearing an oversized Stihl helmet, with muffs, and a face screen. And some leather steel toed boots. There was also a pair of older stihl chaps i have nearly doubled the weight of... Bar oil and such, have nearly replaced the fabric....its time for new...

Im 17 now, and running saws as much as I can. We heat with propane, and have about 3 cord of seasoned red oak found dead in the woods, bucked it, and split 3/4s by hand. I started on an 034super, with a 20" bar, and stihl semi skip chisel...

Depends on knowledge. i say 16

Im 25, and the first time I ran a saw was only a few months ago.. Id say around 14-16 though you should be able to operate one without help. Weve always had property, but I think my family enjoyed cutting too much themselves, and making me haul the wood.. so I said screw it and bought myself a saw.

I was 14 or so, but really didn't get any instruction. I always helped my uncles, one day they were taking a break and I asked if they wanted me to cut for a while. I got told to be careful, and started cutting. It was with a little 021 stihl. I still have the saw, nice and light for the little stuff.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I'm prepared for some flaming on this, but I say 16 / 17 at an absolute minimum. Reason being.... no way, NO WAY a 13 yr. old can possibly grasp the danger / extent of injury possible with a chainsaw regardless of how many times you express it to them. Really I say 18, but I suppose it will depend on the kid.

I agree 18 min. They help with splitting and stacking (splitter no axe!) thats enough. And I am lucky to get them to help with that.:msp_smile:

It is really going to depend on a few factors, age being low on the list. The operator must be responsible, have enough strength, common sense and integrity. I have met 10 year olds with more of the just mentioned traits than some 30 year old grown folks. I would say if the individual has demonstrated those attributes in spades then running a saw should not be a problem for say a 10 year old. Of course proper training, ppe and close supervision should be a no-brainer. I did not run my first gas powered saw until I was nearly 30, I had no desire or need until then.

started at age 13 on a 42cc poulan pro... proceeded to blow her up made dad get a dolmar ps 5100 and then bought my self a 044 at age 15... paid 450 for it and is still my favorite by far... ive owned 372xp's and a few stihl 046 mag's but that saw is special and will on always be. That is also the saw i almost cut my foot off with... thank god for steel toe boots.

Maturity... IMHO
My dad always told me one thing in gun saftey, once you pull that trigger you can NEVER take that shot back. Also totally true about chainsaws. Once you decide to take that cut and squeeze that trigger there is no taking it back. If you think your kid is mature enough to be able to understand that to the fullest start slow and dont force it down their throat. But only YOU know your kid the best and only YOU can tell when he or she is ready to take the leap over that "right of passage bridge".

Last edited:
It is really going to depend on a few factors, age being low on the list. The operator must be responsible, have enough strength, common sense and integrity. I have met 10 year olds with more of the just mentioned traits than some 30 year old grown folks. I would say if the individual has demonstrated those attributes in spades then running a saw should not be a problem for say a 10 year old. Of course proper training, ppe and close supervision should be a no-brainer. I did not run my first gas powered saw until I was nearly 30, I had no desire or need until then.

Good point, I work with guys, some almost twice my age, and I would be scared to death if they told me they were going to run a chainsaw this weekend, much less teach their kid how to use one properly. All depends on the kid's upbringing and exposure. All else equal, a farm boy is going to be much more adept with this stuff than an accountant's kid, IMO.

Great advice all - some more info

My son has been riding quads since he was 5 (a 90cc) now he has a 500cc, he has been riding solo on his 550 snowmobile since last year. He has attention span (except in school - go figure), not quite sure if he grasps the danger though.

It would definitely be a him cutting an me at arms length at most supervising, helmet, gloves, boots, chaps are mandatory (if I have to wear them - he does).

I started with an electric McCulloch at 10 maybe - on my own, my folks might have been outside, but it was a chore that didn't get much supervision. I moved to an old Craftsman 90lb 36" bar monster at 17 - man I loved that saw. No sprocket cover, no chain catcher, no chain brake, a throttle lock button - man I loved that saw.

He really want in on the chainsaw action though - he might have to wait, but within the next couple years maybe.

I'd say it depends on the kid. I think my dad let me use the saw some when I was 11 or so. That being said, start them out with easy stuff such as bucking, and make them wear the proper PPE. A smaller saw will be easier to control, but may be more likely to kick around easier.

Best of luck, and stay safe.

#1 son just was not interested in noisy, smelly 2-strokes until he had to use one in a college forestry course. Then he was okay with it, so I got him a little Poulan 2150, which he liked.

#2 son at age 12 was interested. On the road to a wood-cutting party in the Berkshires, I gave him the half-hour safety lecture and seminar. He paid rapt attention and passed my informal inline quizzes, so with leaders okay I let him prep and run my little Echo 315, while others fed rounds to him on a sawbuck. Full PPE, of course. Leader comment: "He's okay." Big smiles after 4 hrs runtime.

Bottom line: kid's gotta be interested, and show concern for his own safety. Lots of supervision helps.

Last edited:
Growing up in a logging family, age had nothing to do with saws or axes it was a case of if you could you did , and even the girls were not immune to getting the work done.

Really no "correct" answer to the question. It's one of those judgement issues that parents make all the time with their children. My younger son got a new Husky 455 for his 15th birthday and has been using it since (along with the rest of the lineup) He also owns a deer rifle, pump shotgun, .22 semi auto and turns 18 next month. I let him drive my 63 Falcon to school every day and last year he commuted in our 1965 Mustang. I know others that I would never let run a saw for fear they would injure themselves and for sure they wouldn't drive any of my vehicles. From living with your kids all their lives, you know what they can do safely and go from there. I think if someone has to "ask" then they aren't convinced the kid is ready and they need to remain an observer.

It's really ironic that I would come home from work this evening and see this post...

A young man in his early 20s came into my work today, I needed him to print and sign his name on an invoice. He informed me that he could only print it, I said no problem and made an exception.

He pulled up his sleeve and from the horrible scars on his wrist you could tell that it had been nearly severed. I asked him how he did it, he said he was trying to cut wood with a "big old" chainsaw my dad had when I was 12 years old. No, he didn't say if his dad was with him or not when it happened and I didn't ask.

I don't have any children but It made me stop and think... If I did have a child that wanted to use a chainsaw, what would be a safe age to teach them? I thought about it at length as the day progressed. I guess I'm just rambling here and my post really has no relevance to this thread but you've posed a very interesting question and I've enjoyed reading the replies.

I think it depends a lot on you. If you are good with a saw and can teach him the proper ways to use it than that will help him. I took a game of logging course and that is a very great course. Made me more confident with a saw. Your wife on the other hand depends I think again with you. if she knows you are good with a saw then she will know you will teach your son the correct ways. For an example if she knows you sit behind a desk for a living and that you know nothing about saws and cutting trees than she may not want a saw in your sons hands. Hope this helps. Good luck.

My son who is 9.5 and has been playing football for 4 years now wants a saw. He spied a Stihl MS170 at the saw shop the other day, he picked it up and it doesn't seem too heavy for him (he can pick up my saw with no issues - not running).

If your kids cut with you, when did they start? How did your spouse view this activity?

I am fully aware that saws are dangerous and bad things can happen, but bad things can happen on a quad or snowmobile too.

running a chainsaw means alot of things... are we talking bucking up a big log or heading off in a dropped tree? I asked this question when my son was 2, he is now 5 and actually begs to run "his echo 330t" He's noticed its a back up saw and i never use it so he's claimed the "mighty echo" he can start my 200t, 330t, 338xpt and every once in a while my 346 if it's real hot outsiden n the saw has been run hard... But hey lets be honest all kids are different, some 5 year olds that grow up on farms and actually do work at home can do more work and drive machinery than alot of 25 year old i-phone aholics kids that are being produced now adays. I sure hope i can hold mine off till he's at least 14 or so. Oh and echo's make good first saw- easy to start, and suffer from low t

My son who is 9.5 and has been playing football for 4 years now wants a saw. He spied a Stihl MS170 at the saw shop the other day, he picked it up and it doesn't seem too heavy for him (he can pick up my saw with no issues - not running).

If your kids cut with you, when did they start? How did your spouse view this activity?

I am fully aware that saws are dangerous and bad things can happen, but bad things can happen on a quad or snowmobile too.

Dunno,

Always amazes me when people buy their kids (8-12) 500+cc four wheelers.

Saws ARE dangerous, one small lack of judgement, or slight lapse of attention can and will bite the operator.

Age is not a guarantee of either.

How old is too old?

View attachment 262501

My 90yr old Mom checking the mess I made in her side yard, I wouldn't start the partner 55.

Two new hips & a right knee, she's outta control (still driving her 32v, dual exh Taurus)

luck,greg

my late neighbor (died at age 98) was still in the woods cutting firewood until age 95!!, i was always concerned about him, he fell over in my driveway one day when he was dropping off a chain for me to sharpen, got right back up and acted like nothing happened!, he was a great guy, i do miss him, i always stopped and talked to him in the woods when he was out, while i was on my atv, always had a smile and wanted to talk.:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back