How old to use a chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son got the 500cc after 4+ years on the 90cc, he handles it very well (better than me). He stays on my property, I have a huge lawn (300'x300') and over 400yds of trails in the woods. I also supervise him while on it, as my daughter who is now 5, rides the 90cc.

He's been watching this thread with me and he does want to get a saw box, strap the saw on his quad, and head out in the woods to cut, I'll go with him, but he'll be on the quad.

Using a saw for cutting cookies or already felled trees is one thing.

Felling, limbing and trees/limbs under tension is quite another.

You are his Parent, only you can make the call.

I do know in this small area which is mostly rural, over the last 7-10 years there have been at least 10 deaths contributed to under-age youths on Quads.

No doubt 10 times that amount of injuries.

Kids don't always want what's best for them!

my late neighbor (died at age 98) was still in the woods cutting firewood until age 95!!, i was always concerned about him, he fell over in my driveway one day when he was dropping off a chain for me to sharpen, got right back up and acted like nothing happened!, he was a great guy, i do miss him, i always stopped and talked to him in the woods when he was out, while i was on my atv, always had a smile and wanted to talk.:)

May be part of the reason he lived to be 98

Using a saw for cutting cookies or already felled trees is one thing.

Felling, limbing and trees/limbs under tension is quite another.

You are his Parent, only you can make the call.

I do know in this small area which is mostly rural, over the last 7-10 years there have been at least 10 deaths contributed to under-age youths on Quads.

No doubt 10 times that amount of injuries.

Kids don't always want what's best for them!

Kids don't do the same things when you aren't watching either.

age is not the same as expirience,nor knowledge. pulling a trigger ,mashing the gas pedal,popping a clutch. anyone can figure out how to do these . will they learn and continue to learn the rest of their lives or just figure out the basics and never fear death. its great to teach and show kids how things work . but it is a parents decision and ultimately their responsibility for their childs future and safety.

id be willling to bet based on alot of threads here that over one third of the operators of chainsaws should never offer to teach anyone else till they themselves learn the proper ways.

Latest posts

Back