How Short of a Life Span Have You Seen On a Sparkplug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking from my past experince. I'm sorry i don't agree with you.
It's OK, you don't have to!

I've never had a bad new plug, although I saw one with a loose ceramic center that a freind had some years ago - made quite a racket in his car. Even the Chinese plugs that came in my Earthquke and G621 clone work just fine. All the bad plugs I've experienced had been fouled by bad mixture. I just think prople make way to much fuss over spark plugs in general. Whatever the problem is, most often it's not the plug.

It's OK, you don't have to!

I've never had a bad new plug, although I saw one with a loose ceramic center that a freind had some years ago - made quite a racket in his car. Even the Chinese plugs that came in my Earthquke and G621 clone work just fine. All the bad plugs I've experienced had been fouled by bad mixture. I just think prople make way to much fuss over spark plugs in general. Whatever the problem is, most often it's not the plug.

Unless it's a champion. :)

Had them shorted out from the factory, easily chipped insulator, loose insulator, too high resistance...you name it.

Funny how we all have different experiences with brands of plugs. Same goes with oil I suppose.

All I know is that NGK has been a great brand for me, and they came as OEM plugs in my Stihl OPE.

I currently have a bunch of BOSCH plugs. Got a great deal on them on E-Bay.

Different engines will like different plugs.
Changed cam grind on the race car and found that the motor now liked a champion plug.
They ran good with that specific combination.

Most small 2 strokes like NGK and BOSCH
A brush cutter has had 2 plugs in it for over 15 years. The first was changed because it was 10 yrs. old, not because it quit working. They are BOSCH

PP4218 refurb, as rcvd with "torch" plug was really iffy on hot restarts. Swapped that for cj-8 Champion of unknown origin, definitely too hot, after I got the high-speed mixture right. At least hot restarts were now doable.

Then went one step colder. NGK BM7A, after hearing of some (brazilian?) Champions releasing their ground electrodes. Next experiment is to go a step colder- don't need a glow plug. Definitely don't want bits coming loose.

I have had more than one plug go bad,,at differing usage rates. and had bad ones in cars also..and not my own. friend of mine,,if a ac delco rep would have been standing by him,,would have beat him to death over bad BRAND NEW plugs.....cant go bad,eh??? right...........

If it's a champion it's bad out of the package. I wouldn't put a champion in anything but the dumpster. NGK or bust.
I guess that in the case of ours just a couple of months ago would be bust with NGK, out of a box of 10, 3 would not spark at all, & a further 2 failed in the first tankful after service, the whole box was returned so I have no idea if the other 5 were OK. We have just today received credit for them & a note acknowledging the fact that there was a problem with some of the units, from my observations this seems to be a more regular problem than in the past. Bosch are easier for us to source, than other brands, so they are the choice at the moment, we also have had no problems with Champion. We found the most reliable plugs we have ever used were KLG but the stockist ran out & I understand they are not produced any more. Nippon Denso gave no problems but they became more difficult to source. I would guess that with so many units being produced, failures will occur whatever the brand.

I guess that in the case of ours just a couple of months ago would be bust with NGK, out of a box of 10, 3 would not spark at all, & a further 2 failed in the first tankful after service, the whole box was returned so I have no idea if the other 5 were OK. We have just today received credit for them & a note acknowledging the fact that there was a problem with some of the units, from my observations this seems to be a more regular problem than in the past. Bosch are easier for us to source, than other brands, so they are the choice at the moment, we also have had no problems with Champion. We found the most reliable plugs we have ever used were KLG but the stockist ran out & I understand they are not produced any more. Nippon Denso gave no problems but they became more difficult to source. I would guess that with so many units being produced, failures will occur whatever the brand.

Glad to see it wasnt just me and the NGK failing when new. I gave what I had left away and went strictly Bosch now.

:rolleyes:This kinda stinks like an oil thread.

Never had a faulty plug new out of the box, but have sure fouled them up by running too rich. Call it luck, as there have been some catastrophic center ceramic failures and near misses posted here on AS.

However, most Champion plugs' (Mexico made) outer electrode nowadays have to be centered back up, and some even trimmed back, to make a proper plug. Put a piece of masking tape over the end to keep the grinding dust out.

Dads got an original stamped "Poulan"' plug in a 306SA that's over 40 years old, and it's still kicking azz! Looks like a Champion, or possibly an AC branded plug, and he occasionally cleans it off with a brass brush & gas, old school style.

Agree on plug "brand" Run the right heat range plug with a tuned carb. I had wear on my truck plugs at 100+K, but in OPE? I have read of a benefit of fine wire plugs for old ignition systems, but not a performance increase. Saying all this I still buy a 5$ finewire precious metal plug, knowing it will not work any better than a $2 champion. Damn marketing and I am an idiot.

BTW, ist there another way to clean a plug?

Back