How Small do you Split? OWB Gasifier

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J1m

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know a lot of guys just throw whole logs in to their OWBs. I've decided that if the log fits on my splitter, I'm going to split each and every log once. (Some of my logs are 1/2" to 2" too long to fit on the splitter, so I just don't bother getting the chainsaw out - it just goes on my stack) My thought is that when I split at least once, it'll speed up the drying process.

For those of you who split, what is your small/big cut off size before you split? For those of you who don't split, how much longer do the logs take to dry?

After running my gassifier for a couple of weeks now I am going to do a whole lot less splitting for next year. The rounds I cut up late this summer are burning fine and last a lot longer than the split pieces, and less ash too. The logs had been cut last spring so some drying may have taken place over the summer.

I usually only bust them in half.... My boiler will take and burn the biggest round you can throw in there but it does speed up the drying process ALOT splitting them in half.. Which reduces the cresote build up.....

I split down to approx. 6" dia.......do u know you are denying yourself the joy of making cookies when they are too long?:rolleyes2:

Back