HOW TO BE AN EXCELLENT GROUNDMAN

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Job Nick. I wouldn't mind translating it but things are going to have to slow down first.-How does Dec. sound?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Hey Glen that's pretty cool. Thanks for taking the time to do it!

Is there a way you can do it where there will be a title on the cover page?
Sure.  Make a cover page however you want it, or describe it sufficiently for me.

Don't forget to proof the document and let me know what changes to make.  When I'm done, I'll put it up as I did, in PDF, and if you want, I'll give you the RTF "original" as well.

Glen

I added a title, changed the heading of section 1, pulled the sleeping bit out of section 4 and put it in section 6, separated some ideas into separate points in section 9 (the last point could almost be moved up into section 8), made a clarifying (to me) alteration to a point in section 11, exploded section 21 into more points, combined the last two points in section 26 into one point, changed the heading of section 29 and moved the last point from it up to section 28, changed the last section from being a "point" to just a paragraph, and finally, modified the authorship line and included a date.

The reason for the points in the first place was to facilitate re-organization and to help the ideas appear in a ready-to-locate manner.

Here's a ZIP file with:<dl><dt>handbook.doc<dd>RTF file (I hope your MS stuff can use it)<dt>handbook.pdf<dd>PDF version (should look and print the same on any computer system, hence <i>Portable</i> Document Format)<dt>handbook_book.pdf<dd>use this for printing the booklet if your printer can automatically print both sides of a page<dt>handbook_book_odds.pdf<dd>odd pages for manually printing book<dt>handbook_book_evens.pdf<dd>even pages for manually printing book</dl>The instructions for manually printing the booklet are to print the "odd" pages file, then pick up the stack, flip it lengthwise, stick it back into the feed hopper, and print the "even" pages.&nbsp; The whole stack can then be folded as-is to form the booklet.&nbsp; A long-reach stapler would be nice for binding the pages in the center.

The RTF file has the odd blank line added or deleted to make page breaks work some better.&nbsp; If you modify something, you may have to address that matter as well.

Enjoy, and don't hesitate to let me know if you need any further help with the project.

I just added the date to the RTF and made all the PDFs and the ZIP file anew in a matter of moments using the most excellent tools that came with my Linux distribution.

Glen

Butch, you'll <i>never</i> get that $20 bill to attach...

What?&nbsp; Are you having troubles with the ZIP file or something?

Glen

There were 5 options to work with, and three looked the best. I figured out the one that prints it in regular format, I just gotta figure out the other ones.:Monkey:

Option paralysis.

Have a beer and mull it over.&nbsp; I just printed the odd pages file, picked up the complete stack of three pages and endo'd them back into the printer, then printed the even pages file onto their backsides.&nbsp; Then I picked up the stack of three pages again and folded them half in two towards me.&nbsp; I'm thumbing through a nice new little booklet...

Out of curiosity, how's your MS do with that RTF file?

Glen

Originally posted by glens
Option paralysis.

Out of curiosity, how's your MS do with that RTF file?

Glen

Oh, it does just fine. It's me. I'll dog them hatches!:p

hanging.gif

Thanks Glens, and you especially Mb, you've both done a real nice job. I can't wait for the spanish version which should be coming out some time this coming winter.;)

I asked a friend of mine in Mexico if they could translate. They said they didn't have the vocabulary.:(

It looks cool in that 'lil pamphlet version!:blob2:

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Hey Glen that's pretty cool. Thanks for taking the time to do it!

Is there a way you can do it where there will be a title on the cover page?
Hey Butch.

Here's a horse I'd like to <i>give</i> you.

You notice <i>what</i> about his teeth?

hahaha

I noticed you said not to arrive drunk.&nbsp; You didn't say anything against being stoned.&nbsp; Is there a particular reason for that?

Hope <s>so</s>not,
Cheech

Originally posted by TreeJunkie
Thanks Glens, and you especially Mb, you've both done a real nice job. I can't wait for the spanish version which should be coming out some time this coming winter.;)
I just signed up for Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition I for this fall since I don't want to stop learning that language!

It'll probably cost an arm and a leg for just 3 undergraduate credits, though.....

I will try to get this translated as soon as I can, though. There are a lot of tools for easing the process, but you have to proofread it with your brain on so you don't let stupid things go by! It's pretty funny if you translate something into English from another language on babelfish.altavista.com or www.freetranslation.com.

I figured it out

Hey Glen, you got the last three out of order. Thats what was messing me up last night... check it out;

Here's a ZIP file with:

handbook.doc
RTF file (I hope your MS stuff can use it)
handbook.pdf
PDF version (should look and print the same on any computer system, hence Portable Document Format)
handbook_book.pdf
use this for printing the booklet if your printer can automatically print both sides of a page
handbook_book_odds.pdf
odd pages for manually printing book
handbook_book_evens.pdf
even pages for manually printing book

Actually, the odds and the evens are 3 and 4. THAT was messing up my printing.

It's cool. I've made up enough pamphlets to give to every groundie I work with. If just ONE of them live up to it, I'll be a happy camper.

Anyone else tried the booklet format?

Good to hear you got it to work and that you like it, Butch!

Strictly, the order of the files in the archive is:

<tt><font face="fixed">bash-2.05a$ unzip -l handbook.zip
Archive:&nbsp; handbook.zip
&nbsp; Length&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; Date&nbsp;&nbsp; Time&nbsp; &nbsp; Name
&nbsp;--------&nbsp; &nbsp; ----&nbsp;&nbsp; ----&nbsp; &nbsp; ----
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 0&nbsp; 05-10-04 20:17&nbsp;&nbsp; handbook/
&nbsp; &nbsp; 33806&nbsp; 05-10-04 20:15&nbsp;&nbsp; handbook/handbook.pdf
&nbsp; &nbsp; 50688&nbsp; 05-10-04 20:15&nbsp;&nbsp; handbook/handbook_book.pdf
&nbsp; &nbsp; 28222&nbsp; 05-10-04 20:15&nbsp;&nbsp; handbook/handbook_book_evens.pdf
&nbsp; &nbsp; 31138&nbsp; 05-10-04 20:15&nbsp;&nbsp; handbook/handbook_book_odds.pdf
&nbsp; &nbsp; 94002&nbsp; 05-10-04 20:11&nbsp;&nbsp; handbook/handbook.doc
&nbsp;--------&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; -------
&nbsp;&nbsp; 237856&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 6 files
bash-2.05a$</font></tt>

So we're both wrong...&nbsp; The reason I gave them in the order I did was that was the order they were shown in the software I was using at the moment, but in it the sort order is variable.

Funny, though, I'd have thought the file names (with descriptions that match them) would be informative enough to prevent problems.&nbsp; That'll learn me to assume anything around here.&nbsp; <tt>:</tt><tt>)</tt>

Glen

Last edited by a moderator:
Back