How to build a folding sawbuck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been wanting to make one about 17" long for a while because I have friends that have called me asking if I want the wood they have paid to get cut down in their yards. Sure I want it, so I tell them to either leave it all for me to cut up or cut around 16"-18". Every time they cut it too long to fit in my stove, so it would be handy to have a little saw buck to just lay it in and cut. Definitely nice for saw vids too. ;)

When I was in college, I could never get ahead on firewood. On the weekend, I would be lucky to get a load of poles on the trailer. I would then buck them, on a SAWBUCK, as I had precious time throughout the week. Thanks for posting, mine's about junk these days and I need to make a new one. I can't believe some of the negativity in this thread. Dang. Oh, and THANKS seems appropriate. DW

The sheet-steel one the HF sells is a good option too. No tubafores in harm's way, that you have to duck the saw under, serrations from punching the steel before shearing it lets it grab the wood. Around $30.
Folds super-compact, too.
I often stack a lot of sticks on it and cut them en masse.
I agree entirely. However, they do have their place for those that need to test or demonstrate a saw.

As with everything in this life, people always think their way is better. If something like this works for you, fine. If not, move on. There's no need for negative comments, my way is better than yours, Husqy vs. Stihl, or whatever else comes along.

I think we need a new oil thread to create a diversion. o_O

If they are anything like mine they will appreciate the bed
you built for them.Try using hay nets like the horse folks use.

I have yet to come up with a good feeder system that keeps them out of the hay. I had built some large hay feeders and had 6'' cattle panel across the front. One of my yearling does (which was the prettiest dapple color/pattern I have ever seen) got her head caught in it. The others panicked with her cries for help and started butting her in the side trying to free her. She wound up getting her neck broke. Broke our hearts to loose that litle doe. Buried her back in my wood lot processing area.

I could have used a saw horse a while back when I was timing cuts against my buddies 260 pro. My ne 346 probably would have Beaten him even worse if we weren't cutting logs on the pile. :rock:

I have yet to come up with a good feeder system that keeps them out of the hay. I had built some large hay feeders and had 6'' cattle panel across the front. One of my yearling does (which was the prettiest dapple color/pattern I have ever seen) got her head caught in it. The others panicked with her cries for help and started butting her in the side trying to free her. She wound up getting her neck broke. Broke our hearts to loose that litle doe. Buried her back in my wood lot processing area.

At the stock auction place here they have like an overhead wide V shaped bin, opened at the bottom, and a regular trough underneath. The goats have to reach up and yank hay out, and any that spills falls into the trough. I don't know if it is perfect or not, but seems to work, I watched some goats feeding from it before.

Not being a wood snob, I process everything possible down to about 2" diameter. From 2" up to about 5" I cut into 6' poles for quick loading into p/u. The larger sticks go onto sawbuck in a pile. The metal NT one works pretty well to keep them from spinning. Works well and safely, for me and the saw. I don't cut no steeenkin' cookies- that's saw abuse. :rolleyes:

I cut a lot of fire wood and I also enjoy playing with my saws. I recently welded up a nice aluminum sawbuck at work, its nice for cutting small sticks or I can put a big one on it with the Skidsteer and use it for playing or tuning a saw. I think its cool people race and play with saws. Some of you might think its a waste of wood or gas, but its my gas and wood. Cookies burn real good in the boiler.

While I was in Germany I saw many of the sawbucks , different styles and shapes. Pretty much most people had them because the wood is split to 2 meter lengths and then cut via the buck..

I used a few like these.

d20068_detail4.jpg

original-Atika-Sgebock-Neu-230944807917.jpg

Here is a low tech, easy to build folding sawhorse. I have made them in a few sizes, mostly from scrap wood.
You can use a 'T' nut to make the bolt less of a target. The plywood braces are more rigid than 1x material (especially if you use construction adhesive) and prevent racking.

Note that the top of the plywood also butts against the upper log supports - this limits how wide the sawbuck will open, without the need for chain or rope at the bottom.

SawBuck.jpg

I like the one Rockjock posted. NT has a version they sell.
Screen shot 2014-02-21 at 7.56.17 PM.png

Oregon also has one they sell in Europe, but not in the US - I asked Bailey's if they would look into carrying it.

Screen shot 2014-02-21 at 8.06.37 PM.png

Philbert

Here is a low tech, easy to build folding sawhorse. I have made them in a few sizes, mostly from scrap wood.
You can use a 'T' nut to make the bolt less of a target,

View attachment 334927

I like the one Rockjock posted. NT has a version they sell.
View attachment 334928

Oregon also has one they sell in Europe, but not in the US - I asked Bailey's if they would look into carrying it.

View attachment 334929

Philbert

I tell ya they are super handy! I have even seem much bigger ones that hold 6-8 foot logs. they have their place for sure.

Thanks brad and everyone for the ideas. I use a sawbuck for branches about 2" to 5" diameter. It's much faster, neater and SAFER this way. I wish I had access to as much free firewood as I need, but I have to use even the scraps I can get.

Work good for candles... :)

Question I am going to make a few of those and I was wondering how do you get the fire started down in the center ? Do you stuff some newspaper and shaving in on top of the paper? use a little oil fill me in. It looks like the place for the fire would have no room for kindling of any kind, is newspaper enough to get one going ?

Back