How to clean a dolmar air filter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How is the best way to clean a 7900 filter? It looks very fragil and I am afraid if I clean it it will distroy some of the filtering ability. I plan on getting the new style filter when it comes out. I have been tapping it to knock off the loose stuff. What is the best way to clean it without distroying the filtering ability?

spray with carb clean or a quick dip in some gas then blow with compressed air..
Scott

:agree2:
I use filter oil on mine as I cut in some pretty dirty conditions. I keep a few oiled filters on hand then when they're dirty soak them in clothes detergent/water overnight. They look pretty filthy going in but a few stirs here and there and in the morning they look new again. I always give the inside of the white plastic filter cover a squirt with filter oil too, just as an indicator if any particles are getting through. None have been since using filter oil. If not real dirty of an evening I use an air compressor directed at an angle to blow off the loose stuff - bit worried I may damage the screen if hitting it with 120psi directly.
P.S. As I've mentioned in other threads Huskys and Stihls have the exact same problems in the conditions I cut in. Numerous warranty claims against Stihl here (Southern Australia), mainly on their 880's.

I use simple green mixed with water for a short soak. When I use compressed air I blow from the inside out. WARNING if you soak it in the sink, take it out before the wife get home. Just sayin'

Roger

Thanks for the great info. What is filter Oil? I remember using regular oil for lawn mower sponge filters. I did not think of it for chain saw filters. it does seem like a good idea to keep the smaller particles from getting into the carb. I would not think oil would be good for DOLMAR filters?

the Dolmar filters seem to have a kind of fiber filter. I was afraid of removing some of the filter material off with too much handling. I do not have compressed air.

Thanks for the great info. What is filter Oil? I remember using regular oil for lawn mower sponge filters. I did not think of it for chain saw filters. it does seem like a good idea to keep the smaller particles from getting into the carb. I would not think oil would be good for DOLMAR filters?

the Dolmar filters seem to have a kind of fiber filter. I was afraid of removing some of the filter material off with too much handling. I do not have compressed air.

I've used an aerosol filter oil called "Motoline Air Filter Oil 655". Its made in Switzerland by Motorex. It comes in a 750ml can. Not sure if its available in the states but around USD$15 in Australia. Best place to find it is in motorcycle shops that sell dirt bikes. I do a fair bit of cutting and a can such as this will probably last me about 3 years. It hasn't done my Dolmar filters any harm at all. The easy version is to dip the filter in premix - the fuel evaporates leaving the oil to catch dust (just like filter oil). Lots of people use that technique in Australia to good effect.
I've found just a sniff of oil works best - early on I put too much on and for a few minutes the saw really struggled and smoked like a steam train. I think it was working too hard to pull air through the filter :) You don't need much as I found out.

I've used an aerosol filter oil called "Motoline Air Filter Oil 655". Its made in Switzerland by Motorex. It comes in a 750ml can. Not sure if its available in the states but around USD$15 in Australia. Best place to find it is in motorcycle shops that sell dirt bikes. I do a fair bit of cutting and a can such as this will probably last me about 3 years. It hasn't done my Dolmar filters any harm at all. The easy version is to dip the filter in premix - the fuel evaporates leaving the oil to catch dust (just like filter oil). Lots of people use that technique in Australia to good effect.
I've found just a sniff of oil works best - early on I put too much on and for a few minutes the saw really struggled and smoked like a steam train. I think it was working too hard to pull air through the filter :) You don't need much as I found out.

I'd never heard of Motorex until our new laser (swiss made) came with Motorex lubricants. Seems to be high quality stuff. I used their dealer search here: http://www.motorexusa.com/howtobuy.asp I noticed a lot of parts stores can order it, but only about 2 dozen places in the US stock it.

I would imagine any light oil (gun oil comes to mind) would work well for filters.

I'd never heard of Motorex until our new laser (swiss made) came with Motorex lubricants. Seems to be high quality stuff. I used their dealer search here: http://www.motorexusa.com/howtobuy.asp I noticed a lot of parts stores can order it, but only about 2 dozen places in the US stock it.
I would imagine any light oil (gun oil comes to mind) would work well for filters.

The gear I've got is obviously good quality but at the same time I'm sure most of the well known brands are equally effective. The Motorex comes out Blue so easy to see where you've sprayed it.

After MCW first posted about using the filter oil way back whenever, I went and bought some too, just that I use Silkolene in an aerosol can as that's what the nearest bike shop had on the shelf.
It goes on the mowers foam pre-cleaner too, and I just have a spare Dolmar filter as a changeover was well.

Filter oil has a tackifier in it to keep it in place, just like chain oil.

After MCW first posted about using the filter oil way back whenever, I went and bought some too, just that I use Silkolene in an aerosol can as that's what the nearest bike shop had on the shelf.
It goes on the mowers foam pre-cleaner too, and I just have a spare Dolmar filter as a changeover was well.

Filter oil has a tackifier in it to keep it in place, just like chain oil.

Good to hear it was some help Rick. I got sick to death of people bagging out Dolmar filter setups when (as I've mentioned) the exact same issues were being reported by Stihl and Husky users in Australia but particularly larger model Stihls. Mainly because the larger saws are used under tougher conditions such as milling etc (generally dry wood, lots of dust), not because they are a bad saw or worse than the smaller models.
I've cut in green wood with my Dolmars and hardly get any crud on the filter but dry hardwood is a different story.
I've been that upset by my Dolmar 7900 that I'm gonna order another one soon to just sit in it's box and look pretty. Maybe one day I may have to use it. It might be like stocking up on an M4 assault rifle and could be just as illegal soon ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back