How to clean inside of muffler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Im working on the burnt 044 and took muffler off to inspect. I have the engine side of it at work with access to a glass bead cabinet. I was going to glass bead the carbon off the inside before I put it back. I dont feel like soaking. What do you guys think?

I would soak before putting anything that could contain glass beads near a saw. Have you thought about soda blasting, or something else soluble?

No I have a bead blasting cabinet at work and its full of glass media. I figured I would blast it then rinse off with breakparts cleaner. When I was in school I heard of guys glassbeading intake manifolds for V8 engines,not getting all the media out and ruining their engines eventually. I know glass beads and engines dont mix.:)

I have done a couple hundred with no problems and most of the saws are still in use, cleanup should be the most important aspect after blasting . Also have painted every one with high heat barbecue paint. I clean every muffler I mod as well to make welding easier, just finished this one this afternoon.

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

Pioneerguy600

It's a type of coating applied to (ferrous) metal to inhibate corrosion. Parts appear to have been painted black when in fact it's actually a coating of "controlled rust". Not much different from what you see on a gun barrel,

These heads are black oxided. While this finish holds up well in industry, I'm not sure how it will hold against the high heat of a muffler.
attachment.php

Furnace or header paint works better..... IF baked on with a short time after application.

Black oxide is the factory finish - poor for muffler...

Last edited:
Oxide finishing or parkerizing relies on oil retained in its pores to ward off rust, as Lake noted poor choice for a part that gets hot enough to burn the oil off.

Back