Saw running poorly after deep clean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revving13500

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Yesterday I took apart the clutch to repair my oil pump and cleaned everything out during the process. I also ended up pulling the carb and giving it a light cleaning and inspection (everything looked fine). Now when the saw is idling it very slowly drops in RPMs until it shuts off. If I hit the throttle the saw will stick around 3000 rpm’s for about 30 seconds or so and then begin dropping again.

I pulled the carb back apart and everything was put back together correctly. Not sure what’s causing my issue now

Yesterday I took apart the clutch to repair my oil pump and cleaned everything out during the process. I also ended up pulling the carb and giving it a light cleaning and inspection (everything looked fine). Now when the saw is idling it very slowly drops in RPMs until it shuts off. If I hit the throttle the saw will stick around 3000 rpm’s for about 30 seconds or so and then begin dropping again.

I pulled the carb back apart and everything was put back together correctly. Not sure what’s causing my issue now
Did you blow high pressure air through the carb ?

Continue the diagnosis. Anything visible cracked or leaking? Fuel clean? Cylinder and case screws tight?
On a saw of this age all rubber parts are suspect. Don't fire the parts cannon until the diagnosis is done.
A carburetor can only control what goes through it, not what comes after.
This is why we preach a vacuum and pressure test. Not a suggestion. A MUST!

It sounds like the fuel at idle is incorrect. Possibly because the tune is wrong as suggested - low jet - or because of an air leak, etc. I would try to tune it correctly and see how it responds. It may be loading up from too much fuel on the low jet. If 1/4 turn to the right fixes it and, and everything else functions correctly, that was it. This is what a "normal" properly functioning saw would do. If it doesn't respond correctly to tuning, something else is wrong. Do you have a good amount of tuning experience? if not, find someone who does. good luck

It sounds like the fuel at idle is incorrect. Possibly because the tune is wrong as suggested - low jet - or because of an air leak, etc. I would try to tune it correctly and see how it responds. It may be loading up from too much fuel on the low jet. If 1/4 turn to the right fixes it and, and everything else functions correctly, that was it. This is what a "normal" properly functioning saw would do. If it doesn't respond correctly to tuning, something else is wrong. Do you have a good amount of tuning experience? if not, find someone who does. good luck
Just set the H and L to the stock setting 1 turn out each, if it still isnt better is something else.

Most often the cause to problems is the last work that was done. Sounds like it was running fine before carb cleaning. Go back through the carb and assembly. The clutch - oil pump assembly was fixed / cleaned, was it removed and could the seal been compromised?

Re visit all the things you touched and the associated components in the area that could have been damaged and not known. Vacuum and pressure test the saw. Re-read the posts that came before, some good advice.

Most often the cause to problems is the last work that was done. Sounds like it was running fine before carb cleaning. Go back through the carb and assembly. The clutch - oil pump assembly was fixed / cleaned, was it removed and could the seal been compromised?

Re visit all the things you touched and the associated components in the area that could have been damaged and not known. Vacuum and pressure test the saw. Re-read the posts that came before, some good advice.
Man I feel like an idiot. Finally got the tools to do a vacuum test. Hooked it up to my carb and it was leaking pretty good. Took 10 seconds to make sure all the bolts were snugged down good and voila, no more leakage! Fired her up and she’s running great again. Glad I at least have a kit for vacuum testing now. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back