How to destroy a fence while felling a tree!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all I really enjoy a good fail video so thank you for that. Second After cutting down thousands of trees and spending hundreds of hours learning as much as I can form others I have a few ideas of what went wrong and what could have been done differently. I also know that no matter how good you are things just go wrong. I approach every job with the idea that this is the tree that is going to try and kill me and then try and remove as many of those variables as possible. Never quit learning and be safe.

The best laid plans of mice and ranchers...
Video and photographs rarely tell the whole story or present the situation in a manner in which a tree can be properly evaluated. In this video, there was enough information to see what went wrong. It seemed obvious to me that the tree's COG was going to make it go where it went. A pull rope ... or at least an anchor rope positioned 90° from the preferred direction of fall ... should've left the fence intact.

Enjoyed watching your video, Fritz.
You seem to be a good sport, and appear unlikely to start a feud or kill anybody intentionally.

Hope there are no trees near Trumps proposed boarder wall.

Sounds like your bar has no oil and/or the chain is way too tight near the end of that vid.

My question is, why didn't you drop it to the right, away from the fence?

Hypoxylon killed oaks like that are so brittle they have no holding wood. Once it started coming over the hinge snapped and it followed the lean.
That's what it looked like to me as well. Possibly a wider notch, thicker hinge, wedges, and a pull rope would have made it go where he wanted.

trees top back limb caught the tree top beside pulled it over and onto your fence and luckily not on to you,, pls get a bucket on your noggin, some rope and some saw operator training, i enjoyed your vids and good ya nature but gravity and saws dont have a our sense of humor...

Latest posts

Back