How to get into a logging career?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipknot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am tired of being a firewood cutter on the side and working in a factory, I love working with chainsaws and cutting wood and would love to be a logger by profession. Do I have to go to school for it or can I do an appenticeship or something? My main question...If i wanted to be a logger here in ohio how do i go about doing it? I've been told you have to be grandfathered in or "know" someone to be logger. I seen Knuaf Bros. logging from Bainbridge, Ohio log our land out, and ever since i have been thinking "wish i was a logger".
They seemed like a bunch of good ole boys when i tagged along watching.
I know not every logging firm is the same, but to make an honest living working with a bunch of guys like myself would be the way i wanna live.
I know you have to put up with some **** and you don't exactly get rich doing it, but thats what i wanna do with rest of my life. That skidder i think is what sold me besides using high powered saws. :rock: :hmm3grin2orange:
I have some heavy equipment back ground, i use a International TD15 for a skidder for my firewood operation (the trees they left all had to come out because of the lake we are building on my family's land)

I learned from people that logged. Some lumber companies will hire you and let you learn. You will be limbing for another cutter though, usually no felling. As for being a skidder operator....that just takes time and experience to be a good one. Also if you can get into a class like the game of logging to learn ways to cut and directional felling, that will also help you.

mike

Best way is to just get out there and talk with every logger out there till one hires you. Can also try mills see if they will add you to a crew.

I offered Knauf Bros. to work for free for a week just to show my ambition and will to learn. They said I would need some expierience first. Also mentioned some kind of a school.(thats why I brought that up)I wouldn't mind being a limber for someone...as long as i was one of the crew and it gets my foot in the door. A mill you say? I thought that was where the loggers took the wood? In most cases do you have to own your own saw or are they provided? That would give an excuse to buy a new 346xp I've been wanting:rock:

Alot of mills buy standing timber. Then either hire a contract logger to go in and cut skid or send there own crews out. I dont know of any schools per say. But there are courses you could take like game of logging. You might want to get ahold of the Ohio loggers assc. They might put on classes to become certified.

mike385 said:
I learned from people that logged. Some lumber companies will hire you and let you learn. You will be limbing for another cutter though, usually no felling. As for being a skidder operator....that just takes time and experience to be a good one. Also if you can get into a class like the game of logging to learn ways to cut and directional felling, that will also help you.

mike

this class "the game of logging" where is that at? Can you give more details about it? I appreciate the feedback you guys have given me so far. I plan to follow up on it, I guess I could look up in the phonebook and call all the logging companies to see if they need any limbers, would that be a smart move? I just want to get my foot in the door. I am fully confident with a chainsaw and my ability to prove myself to them. Right now I have all the gear a logger would need(chaps, logging helmet W/face shield& ear muffs and some "good" saws) They wouldn't need to provide anything for me is what i am saying!

Do a web search for game of logging.

I myself always preferred to go to job sites to meet face to face. Don't be bashful make your presence known you will find work.

There is always a job as an arborist, then you can still work in a city and maybe local to where you are now, if that's what you want.

DeanBrown3D said:
There is always a job as an arborist, then you can still work in a city and maybe local to where you are now, if that's what you want.

I'm affraid of heights somethin fierce, can't get me up in a boom or get me to climb, I wish i could get past that but haven't been able to so far. Good thought though, I've actually been a groundie at one time but the guy didn't have insurance or a license so that went south after he got caught. That job i didn't get to play with my saw enough, I was always rakin' up sticks or stuffin' them in the chipper which sucked. That job IS still on my list though if I can't find any logging work, at least then i have some expierience. Well I better quit yackin' i'm gonna go research "the game of logging" cause i deffinately wanna play that game.

I'm far from a logger or CA, but I work with a Gypo (again, no, not THE Gypo Logger) and he lets me cut for him when our schedules work out. That's where I've gotten my timber experience. My climbing/arbo work has been on my own. Myself personally, I'd much rather work for/learn from a small gypo outfit where it's maybe you and one or two other guys handling it all. A larger outfit will maybe let you limb for a faller or do stuff here and there starting out. A friend of mine got started fueling the skidder and shovel, then moved to limbing, and never did get to fall timber. Working with a gypo who's willing to teach you would be ideal in my book. You're as likely to be put to work falling and skidding as you are running to get lunch or go pick up chains. Getting in with a gypo, you'll likely earn squat (I work for free!) but you'll get the experience you need.

Jeff

What is a gypo? or what does it stand for?

I guess my big worry is I"m about out of wood to cut for firewood (30-40 trees left) I just need to keep cutting wood (it's my drug of choice) So I need to be a logger in some form.

slipknot - I was once terrified to climb on my roof, as it was quite steep. But necessity called and I had to do it, and then again and again and now I am quite comfortable climbing up and onto the roof. The point being, I was very (for want of a better word) scared of the heights, but I got used to it quite quickly once I got started for real.

slipknot said:

Gypo is a term for the solo or one man operation. From what I understand, (and you'll hear different opinions) it comes from "gypsie" in that the gypo logger often has to move around to where the work is, compred to a larger outfit that has long standing contracts with the state or paper companies for large tracts of land.

Often gypos are a one-man operation. One guy falls, limbs, bucks, skids, loads, and often hauls the timber. But sometimes they'll consist of a couple of guys, or brothers, or something like that. "Gypo" is not a derogatory term in the least bit, like many think. In fact most gypos are proud of being gypos.

So you see, I'd rather work for/with/learn from one guy, rather than a whole crew and some large outfit, but that's just me.

Jeff

Last edited:
slipknot said:

I guess my big worry is I"m about out of wood to cut for firewood (30-40 trees left) I just need to keep cutting wood (it's my drug of choice) So I need to be a logger in some form.

A gypo is usually an independent logger...as opposed to a large corporation. He usually contracts his services (logging, falling,trucking,etc) to a sawmill or landowner or a bigger logging outfit. The origin of the term is unclear and theres as many stories about it's derivation as there are loggers;)
Something else to think about...You say you want to go logging. Why not get yourself a good trade of some kind and log part time or on week-ends or whatever. I don't know what logging is like in Ohio but I know what its like out here and I don't know if I"d advise a young guy to get into it anymore. Wanting to log is fine and I admire your ambition but there are a lot better career paths for a young guy.
Logging for a living is living in a world of ever spiraling complexity and government regulation. The future of logging is one of uncertainty and financial insecurity...at least in my part of the country. I stay with it because I like what I do and retirement isn't that far off....they'll be enough logging to last me 'til I've had enough. But a young guy,just headed in? I wouldn't count on anything.
Now that I've rained on your parade let me say something else. Go ahead and try logging because if you don't you'll always wish you had. Give it a good try and see if having to cut wood is as much fun as getting to cut wood. Good luck Bob

Slipknot, I'm getting out of full time logging because of low log prices, high fuel and parts. Its just getting unreal and of course the government BS. The mills around here have all gotten to gether and fixed the price of logs and measure however they want to. This week I got screwed out of 1mbf on my log check and that hurt but there is nothing I can do about it around here. If you really want to get into logging then find a small company and pester the crap out of them till they let try out or what ever. If nothing else ask if you can hang around and watch. I'm always leary of getting some one green because about the time you get them trained the ungrateful punk goes somewhere else. Even if you work for ''free'' its still going to cost the boss logger in time and lost production to teach you so keep that in mind. I've been fortunate in that I've had almost no turnover in help but other loggers around here are constatly looking for some one. If fuel (read when) goes up to $4 a gallon thats it, it'll put most loggers out of business.

If you are interested in talking in person PM and I'll give you my phone # and we can talk.

I have also gotten out of logging professionally, I since went back to welding and fabbing like I also went to school for. I now work at Ingersoll Rand. I too got out of it for most of the same reasons, low prices, fuel, and just nothing to be gained by working that hard anymore. I have gotten older as we all have and I want something that I can save for the future.

So Ya Wanna Be A Logger??

Out here in my neck of the woods(northwest CA)as long as you are fairly young (under 40 ish) and have a heart beat they will give you a shot at logging. We have a couple of big companies that own hundreds of thousands of acres of prime timber land each, with dosens of logging outfits around.Good hard workers are very few and far between.None of the young men are willing to do physical labor jobs.The people they hire dont last long due to the physical aspect and danger.We do alot of yarder logging(cables strung out across a canyon a couple thousand feet and you fly the logs out)you genrally start out as a choker setter(i lost 25 pounds my first two months)after a year or two of that you can get on the landing where you cut limbs and buck logs to length with a company supplied chainsaw(046 or 372xp). After you put your time in doing these entry level jobs,and if you are good there are lot of other directions you can go from there.Alot of people say logging is a dieing industry,which may be true,but we will alwaysneed wood and paper products and they will always be logging some where.I am lucky to live in the logging capitol of the world(possibly)but if logging ever dies out here. I will go where ever I have to to continue doing the only job I ever want to do. Some people go there whole life and never have a job they like. That is no way to live!! I have been in the woods 10 years now and have tried my hand at almost every job out there.(the hardest is climbing old growth redwood) If you love chainsaw work you may want to be a timber feller,but you have to put your time in learning the basics of logging first.Timber felling is extremely hard and dangerous. every year about 3 or 4 timber fellers around here get a ride to town in a helicopter or ambulance.You need to know what you are doing!!! They get paid by the board foot, so you have to bust your a#@ to make good money!!! All of the timber fellers around here use stihl 046 and 066 for the bigger wood! I hope I gave you some inspiration if nothing else! there is a saying we use alot out in the woods,IF IT WERE EASY THERE WOULD BE A BUNCH OF WOMEN AND KIDS OUT HERE DOING IT!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!! PEOPLE THAT CANT FIND JOBS DONT WANT ONE BAD ENOUGH!!!!

Preach it brother!

redwood logger said:
Out here in my neck of the woods(northwest CA)as long as you are fairly young (under 40 ish) and have a heart beat they will give you a shot at logging. We have a couple of big companies that own hundreds of thousands of acres of prime timber land each, with dosens of logging outfits around.Good hard workers are very few and far between.None of the young men are willing to do physical labor jobs.The people they hire dont last long due to the physical aspect and danger.We do alot of yarder logging(cables strung out across a canyon a couple thousand feet and you fly the logs out)you genrally start out as a choker setter(i lost 25 pounds my first two months)after a year or two of that you can get on the landing where you cut limbs and buck logs to length with a company supplied chainsaw(046 or 372xp). After you put your time in doing these entry level jobs,and if you are good there are lot of other directions you can go from there.Alot of people say logging is a dieing industry,which may be true,but we will alwaysneed wood and paper products and they will always be logging some where.I am lucky to live in the logging capitol of the world(possibly)but if logging ever dies out here. I will go where ever I have to to continue doing the only job I ever want to do. Some people go there whole life and never have a job they like. That is no way to live!! I have been in the woods 10 years now and have tried my hand at almost every job out there.(the hardest is climbing old growth redwood) If you love chainsaw work you may want to be a timber feller,but you have to put your time in learning the basics of logging first.Timber felling is extremely hard and dangerous. every year about 3 or 4 timber fellers around here get a ride to town in a helicopter or ambulance.You need to know what you are doing!!! They get paid by the board foot, so you have to bust your a#@ to make good money!!! All of the timber fellers around here use stihl 046 and 066 for the bigger wood! I hope I gave you some inspiration if nothing else! there is a saying we use alot out in the woods,IF IT WERE EASY THERE WOULD BE A BUNCH OF WOMEN AND KIDS OUT HERE DOING IT!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!! PEOPLE THAT CANT FIND JOBS DONT WANT ONE BAD ENOUGH!!!!

Inspirational piece of writing redwood logger I come from the same background and agree on every point and from a massive timber background 20 years ago... The old guy who liscenced me for down south 10 years ago was in his sixties and nearly cried when he asked me where I had learnt to fell big timber (after watchin me blitz a loggin coupe in exam) when i mentioned the old growth area I had cut my teeth in, his words were "I reckon the biggest wood in the world came outa there..."... No women out there fur shure!! (Blowin up D9 dozers and deliberately spining spade tracks boggin thu D10 "high track" with 50 ton winches to pull up 1/4 cut "billets" above landing to roll down hill and load...Full and half logs too big too pull any way known...) Can't go out there now without heaps of experience and massive kahunas...Heaps of regulations now, was very fortunate to experience what I did...

Last edited:
Back