how to get longer burn times?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big wood.

Don't split it too small. Bigger chunks have less surface area, so they burn slower. Keep some smaller stuff in your collection for when you need to get a cold stove going, but once the coals are good, use bigger wood. Most of what I'm burning is about 5-6" across these days.

Saves the woman a heap of splittin', too. :D

That's pretty much my way of doing it. I load it up and get it going good at night with big wood and then shut the dampers down quite a bit.

the wood is hardwood and seasoned, the stove is brand new, the draft is awesome.

the stove will take a 20 inch log, but my average size is around 18"

i have a decent bed of coals, but could have better

i would like to get up with some coals, but really i would just like a few more hours with good heat output

Are you sure the wood is truely well seasoned? What you describe honestly sounds like your wood is not fully cured? Personally I think 8 hours is a real stretch for that stove anyways but you ought too be able too get 5hrs with decent heat. You'll never get long burns with good ouput, it's always a trade off. Longer the burn, the lower the output. :cheers:

You'll never get long burns with good ouput, it's always a trade off. Longer the burn, the lower the output. :cheers:

I get 10 hours with no problem - longer with the old, hard oak I'm burning right now. And it's usually too much heat. We keep windows open or roast ourselves.

The secret is to have an old Fisher stove that is waay too big for your house, run it damped ALL the way down, and keep an eye on the creosote buildup.
:D

Well, it works!

My method is similar to Bore Pig's. I always look for a 6" to 8" dia. log for an all-nighter burn. I surround my "big mama" with two or three smaller logs and be sure they are all on a bed of hot coals. The smaller logs get big mama hot and keep her going about all night.

Does that sound a little sexy? :censored: :dizzy:

Back