How to paint a Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_andersen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Assuming that you have Stihl saw that is scratched. How do you paint the plastic and the cast parts? Which paint? How do you make the paint stay? How do you arrive at the very same color?:help:

Thanks
Tom

I don't know about painting plastic. I guess you could, but I'd just as soon find something new or used to put on it. For metal, Stihl sells spray paint that'll match perfectly. There's a couple of thread around here already where guys talk about baking it, and at what temps, and dry times and so forth. I just let it dry over night before putting another coat on. It works really well, and is only about $6 a can. And painting a saw, a can will last you quite a while.

Jeff

CaseyForrest said:
How does the paint hold up on the Mag, compared to powder coating?

Nothing holds up like powder coating, but it's hard to touch up a saw with powder coat!

The Stihl paint is a really tough polyurethane that drys to the touch in 30 seconds. It's not as tough as the factory epoxy paint, but pretty good if baked for 30 minutes at 225F (convection, not radiant). If you can't bake it, go easy on it for a month.

I'm assuming this is a display saw, but if not, why bother painting it? it'll only get scratched more through the course of time anyhow.

I got the stihl grey matched at a local auto shop. 1 litre for £10, less than $20 US and it will go a long, long way. Trial and error at first, too many coats can take weeks to dry. It can be really annoying when you think it's ready and start to rebuild the saw only to find that your fingers start leaving impressions on the paint. I've found that it's better to keep the thickness to a minimum. I've also found that when using cellulose paint don't just use thinners buy the hardener too. It really makes a difference on the cure time. I can now handle parts after 24 hours where before it was days/weeks.

I started out painting cars a long time ago. Paint technology has probably advanced somewhat since then, but I think you need a specific primer on the plastic first if you want the paint to stick and stay there for any reasonable amount of time.

Last edited:
Lawn Masters said:
I'm assuming this is a display saw, but if not, why bother painting it? it'll only get scratched more through the course of time anyhow.

Same reasons you paint your car after an accident, or the trim on your house. That assumes that you do these things? ;)

I like all my saws to look good. Any saw I do a major rebuild on gets a paint job. If I'm building them for resale, it sure helps the sale.

t_andersen said:
Hi Guys,

Assuming that you have Stihl saw that is scratched. How do you paint the plastic and the cast parts? Which paint? How do you make the paint stay? How do you arrive at the very same color?:help:

Thanks
Tom

I missed part of your post. Painting the plastic parts is difficult. The only paint I've seen that will stay on the plastic and look good is an epoxy paint, but first the plastic (nylon in the case of stihl) has to be cleaned and primed with a primer specific to the plastic.

I don't bother to paint it, and just buy new plastic or if that's difficult clean it with a car cutting compound, buff it with a wheel and apply Armorol or a similar protectant. Sell the old plastic on Ebay.

Back