PO painted Stihl plastics. How to remove paint?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Brake fluid worked better than Diesel...but just on the underside where the paint was, maybe, impacted by heat.

It turns out my GF has considerable stripper experience, and she had a jug of this stuff on hand. While the product says "No Plastic"...it worked great. It even left the Mag sticker intact...say what you want about Stihl, dudes make some great stickers.

IMG_20230128_165905.jpgIMG_20230128_165926.jpg

On plastics? :popcorn2:
I'd try it, it's just a friggin piece of plastic that directs air flow and keeps crud out. Worst case your plastic winds up looking a little lighter. I use solvent on all kinds of saw parts, if it lightens the color a bunch usually a quick rub down with oil gets it shiny again. If you're really picky follow the acetone cleaning with some "Back to Black" or another plastic restorer.

I'd try it, it's just a friggin piece of plastic that directs air flow and keeps crud out. Worst case your plastic winds up looking a little lighter. I use solvent on all kinds of saw parts, if it lightens the color a bunch usually a quick rub down with oil gets it shiny again. If you're really picky follow the acetone cleaning with some "Back to Black" or another plastic restorer.

Its just a 441- soak the lot in a bucket of lye I say.
:happybanana:
Acetone on plastic usually corrodes the surface into a sandpaper like texture- maybe we only get strong solution stuff here and you guys get varying grades?

Back