How to reload an Oregon chainsaw grease gun?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is why i aways liked my stihl bars no greasing for them and the poulan bar i have to grease it every 3 trees or so. but to really fill a greaser up is to go and get a bearing needle. and take the cap off and the plunger out and put the needle in there and pump the grease in untill full. again and then put the plunger in and the cap back and your ready to go.
Why is the Poulan so gungry for grease and the Stihl doesn't need any?
John

well the poulan has got the greasing hole in the bar.but i took and ran a poulan bar with greasing it. and the end too and fell apart in the log i was cutting and i never did grease it before then.and now every 3 or so trees i take and grease it. but my stihl bars don't need to be greased because it get lubed real good by the chain oil. and thats why the stihl bars don't have the greasing holes in the bars and knock on wood i never had one fail yet.

I tried refilling one of these with some bearing grease just by taking some out of the end of a tube with a screwdriver. That didn't work. I can't get the air out no matter how much pumping I do. I'll have to try the bearing needle next time.

Hmmmm..... Ive always greased my husky bars and never had one fail. On the other hand, a good friend of mine runs burnt motor oil in his bar oil, and never greases his tips and I dont know that hes ever had a tip go out either.

Its probably a waste of time cause I doubt that the grease would stay in there that long spinning that fast...... I guess its what ever floats your boat.;)

So bar tip grease is like sta-bil for your bars? is it just meant for long time storage? I would think bar oil would sling the dirt and grit out cleaning it and making bar grease useless...I think its meant for homeowners maybe...either way i dont use it...I just rev my saw up a little to clean out any chips and to oil my chain..during that it also oils the tip bearing and also slinging grit out...thats my theory!

So bar tip grease is like sta-bil for your bars? is it just meant for long time storage? I would think bar oil would sling the dirt and grit out cleaning it and making bar grease useless...I think its meant for homeowners maybe...
[snip]

Every bar manufacturer except Stihl provides a grease hole in their tips on their pro bars.
Tsumura's actually come from the factory really well greased.

Whether you grease or not is up to you.

IMO semi-regular greasing helps purge crap out of the rollers, but I come from a heavy preventative maintenance background. (Ok, I'm anal :monkey: )

I have a couple of Stihl bars on the 036 and 066, no option for greasing the tips and they have lasted for 12 years of my occasional cutting.

I also have much older Carlton and Total bars on my older Jonsered saws with provisions to grease, so I always have and always do. Again, no bar tip failures.

Frankly speaking, if it has the provision for it I grease it and have never had a problem. I don't run any saws for hours on end, most of them spend a lot of time just setting around.

By the way, I still have the original grease gun that came with my first Jonsered 621 in 1981, the saw has since gone by the by but after innumerable refills the grease gun is still in my tool box.

Mark

Last edited:
Deffently regularly oil your tip i only do like 3 squirts every two tank turning it about a quarter turn beetween squirts and moving chain back and forth a few times after husky recommends 3-5 squirts after every tank but i dont think u need neer that much and the people saying if stihl doesnt need it my husky doesnt it but look at the drive links of an oregon, stihl and husky chain u will notice the only one that is solid metal is the husky the other two arent because thats their delivery system for oiling the tip of the bar and thats why u grease husky and not stihl every tried putting a stihl on a husky or visa versa doesnt work if u use oregon chains on your husky I think they make them for husky idk forsure I always buy husky chains then your good not to grease your bar just dont over grease it and do it every other tank and u be gravy and have a bar that last longer because its not A necessity like putting oil in your fuel but it is something recommended to make your bar last longer

Latest posts

Back