husqvarna 162sg oil seals ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain dangers

partner 1633B (skil) chainsaw
Reaction score
Hi guy's I have a an old Husqvarna 162sg which has been in the shed a long time. it's kind off a puzzle saw as I bought it in bits, some bits missing, it's something I pick up now and again to test my mind etc.as a hobby. well I decided to pick her up again this week and have another look at why she wouldn't tick over properly, has very good compression, I changed the old cracked black carb block/manifold for a jonsered 630 white one and she ran slightly better ;o) I then decided to remove the clutch and check the "o"ring on the oil pump, which is when I found what I thought was the problem ? what I discovered is that the oil seal was just spinning inside it's housing (meaning it wasn't a press fit into the housing (it is a husky oil seal as I offered a new one up to it and it is the same ) the oil pump fitted has 4 fixing bolts (allen head) and I was wandering if it was an early type ? and if this type takes a different outside diameter seal ? or has the old seal spun in the housing rendering it useless ? or has someone fitted a different oil pump from a different model at some time in the past ?

I did have a spare used 3-bolt mount oil pump of an old husky 61 which I fitted along with a new seal, and the saw ticks over a lot better, but not perfect, so I'm going to pull the flywheel off and fit a new seal to that side tomorrow (hopefully) and fingers crossed it will run tick over like a goodun ? i suspect the seal has gone on that side as I have to richen the L jet up to get it ticking over 1.5-2 full turns out. it's a rough old saw but if I can save it from being broken for spares so much the better ;o)

I will get some photos in the morning of the housing and seal when the light is better 11.30 pm here in the u.k at present.

thanks in advance captain dangerous

Hi guy's I have a an old Husqvarna 162sg which has been in the shed a long time. it's kind off a puzzle saw as I bought it in bits, some bits missing, it's something I pick up now and again to test my mind etc.as a hobby. well I decided to pick her up again this week and have another look at why she wouldn't tick over properly, has very good compression, I changed the old cracked black carb block/manifold for a jonsered 630 white one and she ran slightly better ;o) I then decided to remove the clutch and check the "o"ring on the oil pump, which is when I found what I thought was the problem ? what I discovered is that the oil seal was just spinning inside it's housing (meaning it wasn't a press fit into the housing (it is a husky oil seal as I offered a new one up to it and it is the same ) the oil pump fitted has 4 fixing bolts (allen head) and I was wandering if it was an early type ? and if this type takes a different outside diameter seal ? or has the old seal spun in the housing rendering it useless ? or has someone fitted a different oil pump from a different model at some time in the past ?

I did have a spare used 3-bolt mount oil pump of an old husky 61 which I fitted along with a new seal, and the saw ticks over a lot better, but not perfect, so I'm going to pull the flywheel off and fit a new seal to that side tomorrow (hopefully) and fingers crossed it will run tick over like a goodun ? i suspect the seal has gone on that side as I have to richen the L jet up to get it ticking over 1.5-2 full turns out. it's a rough old saw but if I can save it from being broken for spares so much the better ;o)

I will get some photos in the morning of the housing and seal when the light is better 11.30 pm here in the u.k at present.

thanks in advance captain dangerous

Attachments

• husqvarna 162sg oil pump housing 003.JPG
    husqvarna 162sg oil pump housing 003.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 6
  • husqvarna 162sg oil pump housing 001.JPG
    husqvarna 162sg oil pump housing 001.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 6
  • husqvarna 162sg oil pump housing 002.JPG
    husqvarna 162sg oil pump housing 002.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 6
I have a early 162 that has the 4 mounting screws. Other than the forth screw on the upper left corner, I believe the oil pump is the same.

Back