How to remove clutch on Jonsered 910 910E

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiss4aFrog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 910E that looks like the sprocket is pretty badly worn. Which way do you turn the bolt that holds the clutch to the crankshaft to get it off ?? Besides the bolt is there anything else in there to remove to get the cultch and sprocket out ??

I also seem to have excessive play in the bearing and or the clutch hub. It may be normal but it feels loose and the clutch housing rocks back and forth. I measured the movement and it's .025 at the edge of the clutch when I rock it.
Does that caged roller bearing between the clutch and the crankshaft get lubricated from the chain lube or ??

Attachments

• DSC00347.JPG
    DSC00347.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 30
If clutch is ringing it isn't because it needs greasing. It's because the springs are getting weak or as in this case, because the bearing is shot and the drum is slapping against the clutch. I would oil the new bearing upon installation and then check it occasionally. Usually they will get enough lube from the bar but not always.

I would agree your bearing is likely bad. If you have an impact you can spin the clutch clockwise, using the compression of the engine to provide resistance. Hit it a couple of times, don't keep banging away. Most will pop loose with a couple of blips. If that doesn't do it, you need to use some heat/penetrant and let it sit for a couple of days and try again.

Thank you , , , clockwise got it off. I have an impact but I was reluctant to use it. Stuffed some pull cord in the spark plug hole and laid it on the floor and stepped into the handle and down on a six point box wrench. I watched a video where a guy did it on a bench but he had a three or four foot cheater bar on his wrench. On the floor worked really well for me. It is indeed reverse threaded. Will need to get a new sprocket and bearing. That was an easy decision to make. Bearing $10, bearing in a drum with a sprocket $20 - sold !! This way I can measure the old drum to see if it's still good and either I have a spare part or I have just the new part. Either way I feel I win. I want to do as much for the saw now while I can still get parts for it. The sprocket looks original as it's badly chewed up. May order an extra bearing and sprocket once it's up and running.
From the photo looks like the chain was hitting the clutch drum too.
What's the advise on how often to change the bearing and the sprocket ??

Attachments

• DSC00355.JPG
    DSC00355.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00357.JPG
    DSC00357.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00360.JPG
    DSC00360.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 15
Ok, I see the horizontal lines, how do they indicate wear ?? This is the first time I've been this deep in a chainsaw.

Attachments

• 910E sprocket wear bars.jpg
    910E sprocket wear bars.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00358.JPG
    DSC00358.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 16
The Oregon sprocket maintenance manual cover it. Wear starts at the radial port and works its way toward the wear indicators. Replace the sprocket when the wear reaches the indicators. Oregon like to say every 2 chains.

Attachments

• Oregon Sprockets Maintenance.pdf
    189.4 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back