How to remove large stumps from ditch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendr1x

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
The arborist I hired dumped a bunch of stumps into my drainage ditch. I pulled most of them out with my tractor but there are some big ones that I don't have a way to wrap a chain around. Any ideas? I looked at tongs but they are super expensive and everyone is complaining how they bend etc.

Attachments

• PXL_20231011_122243976.jpg
    PXL_20231011_122243976.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 2
haha....yeah you guys know what's going on. I knew there was an easy way. Thanks...this place is always good for a laugh.

Hey everyone,
The arborist I hired dumped a bunch of stumps into my drainage ditch. I pulled most of them out with my tractor but there are some big ones that I don't have a way to wrap a chain around. Any ideas? I looked at tongs but they are super expensive and everyone is complaining how they bend etc.
3/8 x 6" lag bolts through your chain into the logs or surface D-rings screwed into the logs

Takes a long time to roast knots like that. I know, been roasting a couple in the burn pile. They like to smolder forever even with accelerant added. They smolder for days, sometimes weeks.
Yes, it would be near impossible to burn them as they sit. You would end up with a much larger mess. Last winter there were folks on here lambasting me for using tires to start brush piles on fire.

Hey everyone,
Good quality tongs are not cheap and don't bend if you stay within their load rating. That said, there are plenty of other ways to get those logs out of the ditch. Cut them into manageable pieces. Lay the chain on the ground in a L shape and use the tractor to push the log over the chain. Cut notches for the chain to grab. Bore a hole for the chain to go through. Wrap the chain around the log long ways. Tough to tell from those pics how big those logs are (they're logs, FYI, not stumps). What's the diameter, roughly? How big of a tractor are you using?

Hey everyone,
Firstly, why dump them in a ditch?

Back