How to Shine a Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oologahan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I don't want to paint this bar, I was wondering if there was a process to bring it back shiny, I've sanded it pretty good and this is as good as I could get it.

Attachments

• 20230619_182505.jpg
    20230619_182505.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230619_182524.jpg
    20230619_182524.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230619_183301.jpg
    20230619_183301.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 1
The ,"process", would be have it chrome plated. Shiny steel would require it to be polished with ever finer grit until there were few if any sanding scratches left, a very time consuming process for a chainsaw bar.
Thanks, I didn't want it chrome shiny, but clean steel looking, what time of machine would be best DA orbital sander or belt sander or both

I don't want to paint this bar, I was wondering if there was a process to bring it back shiny, I've sanded it pretty good and this is as good as I could get it.
If that's the original finish on the bar -- the lengthwise grain pattern -- then it was probably done with a belt on something like this:
https://timesaversinc.com/products/31-series
A belt sander with coarse belt (80 grit?) would come close. Careful not to rock the sander and taper the edges of the bar.

If you can find a sympathetic fabricator that makes stainless kitchen equipment, architectural details, or other ornamental work they may be willing to run the bar thru a Timesaver or stroke sander (sort of a manual Timesaver) for a box of donuts for the crew.

Harbor Freight sells a surface preparation tool that uses a Scotch Brite type drum that put a near perfect brushed finish on chainsaw bars. I have done 25+ bars so far with the first 40 grit drum that came with the unit. I am very pleased with how well it works and how little material it actually takes off. Only one bar so far had any noticeable deterioration of the etching and I'm not even sure it was etching, it may have simply been screen printed.

20230508_155002.jpg

20230508_155007.jpg

20230508_155138.jpg

I wipe them down with some WD40 or other light oil when I am done.

Mark

I have also done many with the DA sander and while you can produce a very bright finish, it is a time consuming process and requires multiple sanding discs. I have a few that started with 80 grit and worked down to 220 or even 320 that were almost mirror like. Since many of my saws are in a display and the building is temperature and humidity controlled, there is no discernible rust.

I would try to post some photos but they cannot really capture the look and effect.

Mark

Harbor Freight sells a surface preparation tool that uses a Scotch Brite type drum that put a near perfect brushed finish on chainsaw bars. I have done 25+ bars so far with the first 40 grit drum that came with the unit. I am very pleased with how well it works and how little material it actually takes off. Only one bar so far had any noticeable deterioration of the etching and I'm not even sure it was etching, it may have simply been screen printed.

View attachment 1094613

View attachment 1094614

View attachment 1094615

Mark
Awesome, thank you!!!!

View attachment 1094613

View attachment 1094614

View attachment 1094615

Mark
They (HF) have a big sale on today. Don’t know if the 25% code is still active, but the 20% is.

As noted, photos don't really show these well. The first one was done with the DA sander down to 220 grit and has a nice, smooth polished finish. That was probably 10 years ago and I haven't done anything further to protect the surface other than an occasional (2-3 years??) wipe.

20230704_065353.jpg

This one was done with the HF surface prep tool. You can't really see the brushed finish but it is there.

20230704_065440.jpg

The HF tool is very fast at removing old paint, rust, etc. yet does not harm any well defined etching. This bar was an Oregon and did not have the logo like the McCulloch branded bars do.

Mark

Latest posts

Back