How to size a log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a nice spiltter, and I've sure been happy with every purchase I've made from Northern. Hmmm. Well, all but one. Bungee cords were junk.

Anyway, enjoy, and we expect a full report when you get it.

Someone posted a while back about the pivot (that lets the beam go vertical) giving out on him. You might want to keep an eye on that. The trailer of that Northern doesn't look to be as stout as I'd expect for a beam that hefty, but then, if you don't tow it, I guess it doesn't have to be.

Now you'll want to get yourself a tow dolly!

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=71995

Man, I love mine!

Mark...wow..thanks for the heads up on that pivot issue! It confirms the fact for me that unless I'm just towing it over to a neighbors house or something...I'm better off putting it up onto the utility trailer and ratcheting it down.

I looked at the tow dolly and will most likely purchase that at some point as well. I'm able to push/pull my utility trailer (5x10) around by the tongue and it's fairly manageable so I just wanted to see how the splitter would be. I know it's apples and oranges though...despite the trailer weighs more than the splitter...that long lever arm to the wheels makes all the difference!

I'll give the report as soon as it comes in!

Thanks,
Kris

truth is... the smallest splitter will do... it's all according to many cords one is planning on splitting.. one of the main advantage of high end splitters is fast cycle times.

go with the most reliable brands... for low end... Speeco and Northern has an excellent reputation... the speeco 35ton version is having bent foot issues, but speeco has stepped right up and warranting with zero fuss. zero problems reported for 22/25 ton version of speeco.

for handling large rounds... unless you are prepared to step up with big $$$ for hydraulic log lift. you really want a splitter that operates vertical/horizontal.

if you have the $$$... any of the high end splitters will work.. iron & oak, timberwolf, American, etc... entry level for these folks starts at $2k and go up. vs Speeco & Northern $2k will get a much larger splitter.

again feedback indicates most folks with speeco 22 ton splitters cannot find any wood it can't handle. last time I looked... 22ton speeco at TSC was $950 on sale. I paid $1600 on sale for my 35 ton speeco w/12.5 HP at TSC (max bang for $$).

with 3ft+ diameter hardwoods... what you need to be thinking about is at least a mid sized chainsaw... like a Stihl MS 460/ husky 372 with at least a 25in bar....

don't be a hero...... cut em down to size... sideways cutting with lots of curly q's is the easiest on your saw of any cut.

split those large rounds up.... easier to handle... less chance of injury... faster too..

you'd be better off buying a 22 ton speeco and a MS460 with your $2300 budget
watch craigslist..... a 22 ton speeco just sold for $500... they don't come up often used and go quick...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back