How to start a saw without grip or starter rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maccall

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a used MS280, looks real nice and clean, price is close to 1/2 of new, is said to work fine but is missing the starter rope and and the Elasto-Start grip.

So, does anyone have a bright idea on an easy way to try to start it without having to mount a new rope and grip for the seller? I don't have such things lying aound so I would have to dismount one from my own saw, or sort of invent something from the lost-and-founds around the house. Also, I think I would be a bit uncomfortable with first fixing the saw for the seller, and then, if I find I don't want it, I would have to disassemble it again to get my stuff back...

Anyhow, I had an idea on using a cordless drill/driver to start the saw, it has worked well with really small bike engines, but I don't know if there´s a nut or something it could get a grip on if the cover was removed.

I'd also contrive an idea to use a cordless drill to start it up, but that would require pulling the cover off, and Im not too sure how happy the sell would be to see you attack his saw with a drill to 'test drive it'.

I have wrapped a rope around the flywheel, when a saw had no recoil at all. Takes a few trys, but you will get it started.

One of these will work. I dont see why the owner should mind you removing the starter if he wants to sell the saw.
Mark

I'd be more concerned that the guy can't be arsed to take 5 minutes out to put a new cord on it in the first place.

One of these will work. I dont see why the owner should mind you removing the starter if he wants to sell the saw.
Mark

If I was selling the saw you wouldn't use that unless you were going to pay for it after the crank broke. A drill would be OK, but an impact wrench is a little more shock than the end of a crankshaft is made for.

But then again, his loss might be your gain...

It's an M8 nut by the way.

I'm considering buying a used MS280, looks real nice and clean, price is close to 1/2 of new, is said to work fine but is missing the starter rope and and the Elasto-Start grip.

So, does anyone have a bright idea on an easy way to try to start it without having to mount a new rope and grip for the seller? I don't have such things lying aound so I would have to dismount one from my own saw, or sort of invent something from the lost-and-founds around the house. Also, I think I would be a bit uncomfortable with first fixing the saw for the seller, and then, if I find I don't want it, I would have to disassemble it again to get my stuff back...

Anyhow, I had an idea on using a cordless drill/driver to start the saw, it has worked well with really small bike engines, but I don't know if there´s a nut or something it could get a grip on if the cover was removed.

Rope is 10cents a foot, handle is 2.00, do it and spare yourself a headache. $2.30 won't break the bank but if you devise a way to start that saw without the starter cover on it it may well cost you thousands at the hospital, after they get your shirt untied from the flywheel and the saw off your belly. Put a rope in it and put that starter cover back on before you start that saw, be safe, not sorry..

Put a rope in it and put that starter cover back on before you start that saw, be safe, not sorry..

:hmm3grin2orange: Someone's kidnapped Thall and put a safety manager in his place:hmm3grin2orange:

I'd say buy a new rope and grip. try to fire it off, NO GO= lower price.

IMO, it's an easy fix so do it. if you still don't want it after you repaired it he may be more willing to drop the price.

Or buy, fix, sell!

1wildthing is right! Don't use an impact wrench on it! those things are rotating hammers. If I were selling you that saw I wouldn't let you come near it with one of those (provided it worked before you got to it).

good luck!

:hmm3grin2orange: Someone's kidnapped Thall and put a safety manager in his place:hmm3grin2orange:

Hahaha, not really Dan, I'm about as unsafe as they come. However I did see a TS400 concrete saw get used without the flywheel cover on once. The starter is on the right on those and only a cover on the left covers the flywheel. Guess what happen, yup, you got it, it sucked the guys shirt into the flywheel and gave him a good ole whipping. Does not pay to mess with a open flywheel hauling buggy at 7000 plus rpms, nope, not good at all. Even this crazy bas=tard won't attempt that...

Rope is 10cents a foot, handle is 2.00, do it and spare yourself a headache. $2.30 won't break the bank but if you devise a way to start that saw without the starter cover on it it may well cost you thousands at the hospital, after they get your shirt untied from the flywheel and the saw off your belly. Put a rope in it and put that starter cover back on before you start that saw, be safe, not sorry..

I need to type faster...

+1, and +1 to the post about NOT using an impact... even an 18v cordless drill can break the crank end off.

Pull the starter cover and wrap the rope around the fly wheel,,,2 feet of 1/4" rope and a stick and a couple of knots will work!!!!!! Rednecks dont always use Duct tape for everything OK!!!!!!!!!!! The emergency pull rope from an outboard motor cowl is perfect!!!!!! No impact,, no drill,,,, :notrolls2:

Last edited:
Mark

Impacts and flywheel keys don't like each other... but it's how I learned the price of a flywheel key for a Homelite.

OK, thanks everybody, good input.

I think I'll give up on the idea to use som other powertool to start it then, not only for your concerns about it might actually damage the saw, but also if the saw doesn't start and I've been messing with powertools inside it I'm pretty sure the seller won't hesitate to point out that it must be my fault. Can become a quite boring discussion.

Think I'll just have to mount some more proper equipment then, if the rest of the saw looks like it's worth it.

I saw someone on this site posting a pic on a stihl-something with a fairly ugly large yellow plastic thingy for starter grip, looked like something taken from a toy. If I get a real cord (yeah, you're right thall, they're quite in-expensive, even here) and something like that for a handle, the seller might maybe go lower on the price in fear of me leaving the saw with such an ugly thing mounted, if I seem to hesitate about the deal... :biggrinbounce2:

start

The impact won't work, it will remove the nut before it will rotate the motor (experience), not to mention the flywheel key issue. The drill would have to be very strong and very fast, and it will have the same problem (experience).
The rope around the flywheel may work, just keep all loose clothing away.Thall isn't playing safety guy, just stating the obvious.

By the way, experience. Once in a while you get a basket case in such condition. In doing an estimate, you would like to know if there is ignition. About the only thing that works is a starter.

Back