How to take off external clutch to remove sprocket? Stihl 031

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got cocky about never having trouble getting one off. Now I ran into a new 667 Solo I can't get off. They must have really impacted that thing on there at the factory. (the third Reichs revenge)

How to take off external clutch to remove sprocket?

I had to remove the clutch on the 020 to change out the sprocket a few days ago and had it changed out on no time. When in the shop an air wrench works but I can have it off before most people can get the air hose hooked up. I grab a wrench to fit the nut on the clutch, rotate the crank until I feel the resistance from compression and whack the wrench with a hammer. Be careful though, the clutch will spin off real fast and sometimes hit the floor. this works for me on larger saws too. :cool:

Hey Tony,
I have had to use a 1/2" air impact at times to get them off
usually use a 3/8 butterfly impact but some times it doesn't have enough "wham". 19mm socket and usually just a few raps with the impact.

Hi there, I picked up a used 031 yesterday. It looks like it was hardly used. It appears it will run, but the clutch is a bit fubard though.
It seems that there is a cam arrangement that engages the clutch, kinda like a spring loaded slide. My dealer says this part is no longer available , so I will try to see if I can resurrect it by finding used parts.
I read that Fish would really like to own one of these saws, so maybe I can trade him some other saw parts for it. However, he better move fast, because Otto is quickly becoming a Stihl lover.
Otto, with regards to your avitar, is that you blasting away at a Stihl wall display of saws and accessories? If so, please dont hurt the 066 ok?
Gypo

031 clutch

John
The big creep had me looking for your 031 clutch.My inventory card said that I had one left in N.O.S. but I must have used it an never marked my card( like I never did that one before).
I can fix you up with used ones that will fit your 031.
There was a few different designs of clutch's on that saw,you have one of the older ones.The newer design will work in your existing drum and they look like a normal clutch.
You can use the clutch from a 031,032 and some of the 041s,not sure about the 030.
Later
Dan

What you might have on your 031 is an old-style "de-clutching" chainbrake. Instead of the modern style that just holds the clutch drum tight, old 031s used to have one that actually had the effect of pushing in the clutch on a car/truck. You could rev the saw freely with the brake activated. It was quite unique, but I doubt parts would be available now and the newer style should fit.

Otto has finally obtained a worthy avvaaattaaar.
It shows his kinder/gentler side.
Makes my litho/avvaaattaaar look kind of poor!

Perfect a Thread about this here 031av saw .

Now im used to removing clutches on newer Stihl's old Husqvarnas Jonsereds etc but what the heck is this ?

And how do i get this contraction of the saw ? Its some kind of sprint should i just cut of or what ?

I think i have some never clutches laying around that i can use instead .

Any of the Tinkerers have some thought ? I found a tubeclip but it didnt show the removal of this lock?

Would really need a word of advice here .

Regards Paul-Roger

Attachments

• IMG_20240325_104536_701.jpg
    IMG_20240325_104536_701.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Perfect a Thread about this here 031av saw .

Now im used to removing clutches on newer Stihl's old Husqvarnas Jonsereds etc but what the heck is this ?

And how do i get this contraction of the saw ? Its some kind of sprint should i just cut of or what ?

I think i have some never clutches laying around that i can use instead .

Any of the Tinkerers have some thought ? I found a tubeclip but it didnt show the removal of this lock?

Would really need a word of advice here .

Regards Paul-Roger
The whole thing turns off like a regular clutch all in one piece no need to disassemble it, the two holes near the center act as the leverage point. A tool with two points fits in the holes, fairly easy to make something to work if the tool is not available. A punch and hammer has been used to remove many clutches like this one.

The whole thing turns off like a regular clutch all in one piece no need to disassemble it, the two holes near the center act as the leverage point. A tool with two points fits in the holes, fairly easy to make something to work if the tool is not available. A punch and hammer has been used to remove many clutches like this one.
Hello Pioneerguy
So i dont have to remove those horseshoe things before ? Just whack away as usual as on any clutch ?

i think ive seen those tools with the two pegs somewhere where i cant remember but still .

Thanks for the Input
Regards Paul-Roger Nilsson

Hello Pioneerguy
So i dont have to remove those horseshoe things before ? Just whack away as usual as on any clutch ?

i think ive seen those tools with the two pegs somewhere where i cant remember but still .

Thanks for the Input
Regards Paul-Roger Nilsson
If you are going to try the punch and hammer method do not hammer against the outer cover,the moveable part, you must hammer against the inner solid clutch core. The two pin type tool is best and I made mine from a length of 1/4' flat stock, drilled two holes to accept 5/16 bolt, threaded them and turned in two bolts that protrude about 3/4" out from the flat bar. Block the piston and apply force clockwise but the punch will work if done carefully.

Find 2 pin punches that fit the holes. Block the piston with a stop of some sort (rope?). Take a long tool (screwdriver, punch, etc.) And turn clockwise (LH thread). Please don't go beating on it. Most likely won't work and parts are NLA. You can replace it with a regular clutch off and 031 or 042.

Find 2 pin punches the holes. Bloch the piston with a stop of some sort (rope?). Take a long tool (screwdriver, punch, etc.) And turn clockwise (LH thread). Please don't go beating on it. Most likely won't work and parts are NLA. You can replace it with a regular clutch off and 031 or 042.

That'll do it, too. Did this a few times on my Remingtons with fairbanks morse clutches. I acquired the pin spanner quite recently.

While you are in there you might consider replacing the spur type clutch drum with an Oregon 18200X rim drive drum...check fitment but I did it on my 031 saws with the simple centrifugal clutches

Latest posts

Back