how to tell if carb is leaking over

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what leaking over means......

But here is what little I know.

If you pressureize the carb at the intake to about 15 psi you should not see any drop in pressure. If there is a drop in pressure put it in water to see where the leaks are. Usually it is from one of the gaskets.

But again I am not sure what leaking over means.

Thank you for your reply. I got the term carb leaking over from the post "Husky won't start" a poster named Erick was helping him to figure out the problem with his saw. I saw this going through posts trying to figure out what is going on with my saw

How do you usually apply the 15 psi to the intake do you need any special tool?

Erick,
How do you tell if a carb is leaking over?

You put light pressure (about 7-9lbs) on the fuel inlet (where the fuel line connects) if the pressure remains steady the inlet needle is seated and all is well if the pressure bleeds off then the needle is not sealing and "leaking over".

In some cases the leak could be due to things like loose screws on the pump side cover or a cracked plastic elbow on the fuel inlet, but the majority of the time the inlet needle is not seating for one reason or another.

I usually test through the fuel line in the tank... kill two birds with one stone. :cheers:

Pretty good bec98x and good tip on submerging the carb to find the leak, but fuel would be better than water for the carb although a quick dunk probably wouldn't do any harm. I've always used fuel since I already have it there in the inspection jar. ;) 10lbs max on the pressure... 15 is enough to "pop off" some carbs with light springs and you'd be chasing a problem that doesn't exist. :cheers:

Erick,
Do you use any special tool to apply the pressure or do you fab up something.
Or do you simply use a blow gun and apply a light pressure?
Thanks for your help.

Back