How to tell my grandpa he's getting old

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustyw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am a first time poster to the chainsaw forum. I need some advice. My grandpa has sharpened chains on a chain grinder for as long as I can remember. He always sharpened my for free. He has done a great job up until this year they just don't cut like they should. I had 1 tank of gas on the chain and finally gave up. I took it off and went to the stihl dealer and he said the angle is off. My first problem is that my grandpal is 81 years old and has emphazima. He won't let go of his log splitter or chainsaws, he even keeps buying new saws. He can't even pull start any of them without being out of breath. He is having a hard time facing reality about being 81. If I go tell him that he is doing it wrong, I am afraid it will really bother him about being old. When I take my next chains down to get sharpened, what should I be looking for on the grinder? I am running a stihl ms390 with a 18" bar and a 3/8" chain. He has an old tecomec grinder and a brand new one that I carried in the basement and sat on the floor for him 2 years ago and its still sitting in the same place. Any advice on how to tell my grandpal that he is not getting them sharp and things that I can look for on his grinder as far as setting would be greatly apprecciated!

In order for grandpa to be able to keep his dignity, you will need to tip toe around him. My dad has advanced dementia and can do very little, it's a real hard thing to watch.

Maybe you should tell him you want him to teach you how to do it?? That is sure to boost his spirit.... Then just fix the angle problem without him knowing???

Your Gramps is a gift, so what if his grinding is going down the tubes.

Learn to use a file, and spend as much time with him as you can,,,,,,,,,,,,,, He aint going to be there forever.

I bet there is a ton of stuff you can learn from him.

The Indians had the utmost respect for their elders, for good reason.

I just know if I tell him it will kill him. I am going to ask him I I can buy his new chain grinder and that will open the door for me to ask him to teach me. What am I looking for as far as the settings?

Ask Gramps to teach you everything about grinding chains, and pay attention. The angles are available on the Oregon, Carlton,Windsor, Stihl websites.

Odds are he ain't slipping gears one bit, but his eyeballs are failing him a smidge now and then. Work with him, and enjoy the time learning from him, while ya can.

stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
First of all sorry for your predicament.

Second of all, why don't you start by chewing him out for not teaching you how to sharpen chains yourself a couple years ago? I mean, how long has he been doing this for you? Your best bet is to take some donuts to your Stihl dealer and ask them to teach you the right way. Then you can check out his grinder and see the problem.

And I do not see any reason to tell him he is old. If he does not know by now its best to leave it be.

Why don't you buy him an easy start Stihl and let him go cut with you. He can do some limbing or small cutting.

I say dont tell him anything, let him keep on doing what he can so he will still feel needed and still be active. Even if you have to buy a separate set of chains to use, you can still take him some old chains that you could dull intentionally so he can have something to do. I wouldnt break his spirit if i didnt have too. Let the man get out and piddle if he wants to, he will probably live longer that way than just sitting on the couch watching tv cause he feels like he cant do anything anymore. Just an idea.

you can always keep an old unused chain handy to give him to "sharpen" ... make him still have that needed feeling.. best of luck..

Well he has been sharpening my chains for the last 4 years. He still burns wood, but me and my brothers cut and haul it in for him. He carries it from the back porch to the fireplace. He does go out to the woods with us once in a while, depending on the weather. He likes to run my cordless sawzall. He cuts all the small limbs off for us and keeps the brush fire going.

Maybe just mention something is different with the way your chains are cutting lately and have him cut a little with em and see if he notices anything. If not see if he will show you how to sharpen them so you can do it. and not " bother'' him. As far as the saws and splitter goes, I dont think thats hurting anything, the worst thing they ever told my grandad was you gotta slow down, quit raisin rabbits and chickens and havin a big garden. He went down hill very fast after that. So love him while you got him and learn all you can from him, you will not regret it, and you will miss him when he's gone.

I say dont tell him anything, let him keep on doing what he can so he will still feel needed and still be active. Even if you have to buy a separate set of chains to use, you can still take him some old chains that you could dull intentionally so he can have something to do. I wouldnt break his spirit if i didnt have too. Let the man get out and piddle if he wants to, he will probably live longer that way than just sitting on the couch watching tv cause he feels like he cant do anything anymore. Just an idea.

great advise let him sharpen all he wants if you have to go buy new chains it is a small price to pay. My grandfather is 72 and still can work me in the dirt. I feel blessed to let him do it

Take the stance that you might be doing something wrong, and show him how your saw is cutting. From there, ask him to teach you how to use the grinder. The head should be set on 60° and the chain holder at 30°. It's probably that his eyes aren't what they used to be. I keep my Dad's Tecomec here and sharpen both of our chains.

Bud, Id give anything for one more year with my Grandpa. He is dying from cancer and probably not going to make it to our birthday on April 26th. We share a birthday and a whole lot more. Learn as much from him as you can, I know my grandfather forgot more than Ill ever know. He would be 94 this year, a little older than yours but just a special. Good Luck with him and just love him. At first I didn't want to read this post because I knew It would hit home. I don't want to come off sounding like a wuss but im telling you to ENJOY him while you go him.

let him keep at it. theres plenty of spare used chains around ,pick up a dozen then take him 1 or 2 **** chat for a while then have your actual chains sharpened somewhere else. good grief enjoy the time you get to spend with him for you will never get it back. whats more inportant your freakin chains or you family.sheesh

I just know if I tell him it will kill him. I am going to ask him I I can buy his new chain grinder and that will open the door for me to ask him to teach me. What am I looking for as far as the settings?

I like this /\ idea best.

Obviously I don't know your GF, but don't be surprised if he isn't open to you changing any of his settings. As others have said, they might be fine, it could just be his eyesight. If nothing else, you can always bring him some 'spare' chains and let him keep on keeping on.

I would ask him to show you how to sharpen as mentioned before. You can't tell him he's old, let him keep his pride and let him think you still need him to do those things for you. My wife's grandpa is 81 and still doing his refrigeration business and raising beef, he's out feeding everyday and doing the small chores. Every year we have to do a little more for him, I cut and split his firewood now and keep his heating equipment working right and so on. He still has to think he's the boss and that's fine with me, hell I hope if I make it to 81 someone will let me think I'm still the boss. You wouldn't want your wife or girlfriend to tell you that it's not as big as you think it is would you? Let the guy have his glory.

Just get a hold on some old chains for him to sharpen so he feels needed, and spend time with him, as much time as you can. I miss my grandpa too. :cry: Unfortunately, he had a stroke shortly after I was born, so we couldn't go fishing or hunting or anything like that. :( Since you grandpa can still use a saw, go cut some wood with him too, and spend lots of time with him. You will miss him. :( I miss my grandpa a lot, he passed away in 2007. :cry: Wish I could have done skeet shooting and all of that fun stuff with him, but nope, didn't happen. :( You have a grandpa that can still do stuff, so, again, I stress you spend as much time with him as possible. Also be sure to ask what his first car was, and how the old days were. I never asked my grandpa about those, and wish I did. :(

Back