how to tell what stihl chainsaw i have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont know if this will help as it might not be the origional bar, but the under all the crud on the bar that came with it is a faint bright green gear painted near each end of the bar.

also i doesnt look like it had a second bar stud. The other stud has a slot cut in the middle. Not sure what its for because the chain tensioner is by the muffler

If that's a metal crankcase I'd guess it's an 026.

stihl026.jpg

An 026 Stihl

024 or an 026 with a broken bar stud.

Nope, they actually made some of them like that. The stud actually has a slot,
but I'm not sure you can see it in the picture. I also believe the stud is a dead
give away -- it is a tired 024 with a "single nut" bar stud. (I just fixed one before
early spring). They can also be converted to a "two nut" traditional style if you
remove the funky short nut. :cool2:

Yep, I've seen 024's with a single bar nut. the short stud is just a locating stub with a slot cut in it. Its easy enough to convert it to two regular bar studs though. These were on the early 024's along with the oiler that is driven directly by the crankshaft, which means that they oil whenever the engine is running. Good little saw.

I have an early regular 024 WB with that bigger style cap so it wasn't only for the supers.

Yes you will need to do a compression test, old 024 can leak a bit if they have had a hard life,
they are really not worth fixing if it fails vac and compression test.

Yes you will need to do a compression test, old 024 can leak a bit if they have had a hard life,

Are you using the term "compression test" as how much psi the piston makes or if the crankcase will hold psi?

Are you using the term "compression test" as how much psi the piston makes or if the crankcase will hold psi?

yes as in will crankcase will hold psi

Got it......didn't want anyone to get confused! Different lands different terms......for stuff!

Different lands different terms......for stuff!

To me a "Compression Test" would mean the amount of compression the piston and cylinder is capable of producing regardless or whether it is a 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine.

A "crankcase pressure test" would be my term for the crankcase check.

Regards

Phil

To me a "Compression Test" would mean the amount of compression the piston and cylinder is capable of producing regardless or whether it is a 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine.

A "crankcase pressure test" would be my term for the crankcase check.

l

Yes i agree Phil, i should have put it more in cs terms

Nope, they actually made some of them like that. The stud actually has a slot,
but I'm not sure you can see it in the picture. I also believe the stud is a dead
give away -- it is a tired 024 with a "single nut" bar stud. (I just fixed one before
early spring). They can also be converted to a "two nut" traditional style if you
remove the funky short nut. :cool2:

I was meaning that it is either an 024 or that it is an 026 that someone broke the stud off. I know that the 024s had one stud.

Its an 024...

Magnesium crank case...Single bar stud...Slanted top air filter cover...I have one on the shelf if you guys need pictures..

Now lets get on with wether or not its worth fixing...:clap:

Latest posts

Back