how to, that DANG stihl chainbrake spring!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarkjeep

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Man, I fussed with that thing for an hour solid last night, it shot across the garage 4 or 5 times.

I scratched the heck out of the cases, and I stabbed my self in the left hand about 3 times.

I finally gave up and drowned my sorrows in Sam Adams sodas.

is there a trick?

ive done a couple before, but its been a while, and I couldnt for the life of me stretch that stupid thing onto the stud last night.

the one circled in the pic.

arggg!

Have the chain brake on (forward) hook the front of the spring into the lever
now put the rear of the spring onto a flat screwdriver and use the pin that holds the rear of the spring to stretch the spring back and down.Hope that made sense.

I trade Sam Adams for repair work, but you are a little too far for that :givebeer:

In my former life, I worked on cars so I guess doing hundreds of sets of brake springs just gives me a knack for it. You can usually just do it with a screwdriver fed through the end of the spring and behind the pin that you want the spring on. Just slide the spring down the screwdriver as you tilt the top of the screwdriver toward the rear handle of the saw.

Also, make sure the brake is in a position to make the spring as short as it can be.

yeah, I think thats how I did it last time.

You know what I just realized, last time the engine case was NOT mounted to the tank and handle assembly yet.

I think that stuff is in my way.

Ill go at it again tonight, after I bandage my hand, and re-muster my courage for flying spring impacts.

thanks guys!

the screwdriver works, with a lot of cussing. There is a tool for it. It is hard to describe, but looks like a screwdriver handle and shaft, but instead of the blade, there is a semi-circle. If you had a small screwdriver handle with a small square drive end that take small sockets, you might be able to make one. You would need to grind half of the hex end off, giving you a semi-circle on the outside of the socket, with half a hex on the inside.

the trick is to use the tool like I imagine you are using the screwdriver, with the semi-circle half toward the pistol grip. You might have to carve out the inside of the hex with a dremel to make it round, so that you just fit around the post for the spring's end. When you have the spring levered into place, you rotate the tool a half turn, seating the spring, and freeing the too.

You'd have sacrifice a pretty small socket, and maybe grind the outside of the socket down, too, so that the whole thing is pretty small.

Or just keep swearing, or get the tool, or take it to the shop and borrow their too for 10 seconds.

Good luck.

Sorry not to be able to put up a drawing of what I described. Knowing that there is such a tool might mean being able to find our from the shop what its called, then find a picture on google images, or in an online catatog.

southtree,

that is a GREAT idea.
I might make a tool such as that tonight.

ive got some steel rod, Ill just bore out the end, and use some tennis racket tape for a handle on the other end.

great thought!
thank you!

A modified piece of 3/16" automotive steel brake line works very well. Just grind one side off at the end.

Go to autozone and buy a rear brake spring tool or use a big phillips screw driver.and beer helps everything:cheers:

1117 890 0900 Stihl spring installation tool. Works on all Stihl saws, and maybe others. Installs the spring with no blood involved. List is about $26.00. I used to struggle with that spring, no more. The tool is a bargain. and you dont do more damage than your repairing

I usually use a pair of Vise Grips. Needle nose ones work best. Make sure it's clamped on good. BTW, the 045/056 doesn't have a brake spring like this. If it has a brake at all, it will be in the bar cover.

vice grips

Set the saw on the dogs, handle pointing up. Using regular vice grips clamped to the spring perpendicular to the saw, then use both hands on the vice grips and push straight down to catch the spring on the pin.

I FINALLY got it on, and then realized it didnt work.

so I checked my old photos of teardown, and I had the link in backwards. the jointed portion that goes into the brake handle.

so I took it back apart and did it again.

I found a stanly nut driver in my tool box, and slide it thru the spring, and then over the stud, pryed up, and it slide right down.

DUH.

thanks guys!

I think I had too many beerz last night, today with a fresh head it was MUCH easier to do ( even twice)
haha

Have the chain brake on (forward) hook the front of the spring into the lever
now put the rear of the spring onto a flat screwdriver and use the pin that holds the rear of the spring to stretch the spring back and down.Hope that made sense.

thats how i've done it !! just lever it over the post and slip the blade out gently ..

Back