How to trim a Bloodred Japanese Maple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cujo8

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a nice and healthy a Blood-red Japanese Maple tree in my front yard and I would like some tips on how to trim this tree for best appearance. In the back ground of the attached picture is a purple plum tree and if you have any pruning ideas for that tree that would be great. Thanks.

Let me prune it.. it will be fancy....
No in reality remove the longest branches back to a lateral, or make some small thinning/shaping cuts...

Both trees are thick above and too thin below. But...Before you trim, try thinning by pulling down branches to a lower position. You can hang stuff like suet feeders toward the end of the branches to make your trees wider and the birds happier. :blob2:

The mulch circles are a tad small, and can you see the buttress roots flaring from the trunks?

If you can, please post a pic of this, the most important part of the tree.

If you can get a pic of it now, only a little closer, so we can see the branch patterns. We might even be able to tell you exactly which branches to prune. The first thing you are going to want to do is go study a site like treesaregood.com and learn the proper way to prune trees and shrubs. Then you are going to want to buy a good pair of pruning shears like a set of Felcos. Do not go hacking away at your nice Jap with a pair of $7 box store brand prunning shears.

I will take some new pictures of both trees as they are now (naked) and post them. I will check out the website you guys mentioned and check out the pruning shears as well. What are the concerns with pruning trees with cheap shears/loppers? BTW I just did a search on Felco Shears and they have many different models to choose from, which should I get to trim small tree branches?
I don't know if I will be able to get a picture of the buttress roots right now, since they are covered with snow right now, but the snow is melting fast right now here in western NY due to some unseasonably warm weather we've been having lately. It is supposed to hit the 60's today:).
Thanks for the replies.

Jim

Last edited:
Here are pictures of my Blood-red Japanese Maple and Purple Plum tree that were taken today. Any help you can give me on how to trim these two trees would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Latest posts

Back