How to trim back this Oak tree a little.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jughead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Want to keep it off the house. Should I try to trim symmetrically or just near the house & deck?

Outside20101.jpg

Beautiful tree. Definitely just trim it away from the house. Try to accomplish what you need by reducing the limbs in length as opposed to cutting them back to the trunk.

Dave

Jughead, I, also, am impressed!

How old is this tree?

Sylvia

Jughead, I, also, am impressed!

How old is this tree?

Sylvia

Well we've been in the house since 1988 and there were no trees around the house. I would say it's between 15-20 years old. Hardest part was keeping the rabbits & deer off them while they were < 6ft tall.

What a wonderful illustration of why you should go ahead and plant a tree.

We so often hear people say it isn't worth it because they won't "see" it in their lifetime. We tell them that, whereas, they may not see it into its full maturity, that doesn't mean they won't see a beautiful tree in their lifetime.

Your efforts illustrate what planting a tree is all about. :clap:

Sylvia

Beautiful tree. Definitely just trim it away from the house. Try to accomplish what you need by reducing the limbs in length as opposed to cutting them back to the trunk.

Dave
Agreed, though there may be a couple that have to go all the way back due to lack of interior laterals.

While hiring an arborist is a great idea, if you have 7 of these you may want to invest in a telescoping pole pruner and shape them on your own. But a good arborist climbing can get in there and make the right cuts to build good structure.

Symmetry is good and all, but no reason to make "compensating" cuts away from the house. Tree don't care that much about symmetry.

Beautiful tree!

As long as the leaves are formed it's fine to prune it. You don't want to prune when the leaves are forming or falling.

Hardest part was keeping the rabbits & deer off them while they were < 6ft tall.

No kidding. We transplanted 200 oak and 200 walnut ten years ago, about 18-24" each. The deer just went right down the rows and chewed them off every time they tried to leaf out. None of them are the size of a twelve year old tree, and I doubt if more than ten of the 400 are even alive now.

Jughead, Oak Wilt is in Pennsylvania so I would not recommend trimming an oak during the growing season. As this devastating disease can be transmitted by vectors from a diseased tree to a healthy tree with a fresh wound, I would wait until dormancy.

If you have to absolutely trim this now, this is one of the circumstances where you would want to paint each cut.

Sylvia

PA is a big state. Where are these disease centers? And how big does a wound have to be to attract the vector insects?

Just wondering.

The forest service site I googled showed Oak Wilt in the southwestern portion of the state, appearing to include the Pittsburgh area. Which, if I am correct, is in Jughead's neck of the woods.

http://na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_oakwilt/toc.htm#dist

Never trusting that information is "up-to-date", I do tend to go with the "better be safe than sorry" premise.

As fungal pathogens can enter through the smallest openings, including natural occurences on trees, I would advocate "don't contribute to the problem", when you have an option.

How large do the wounds have to be to attract the vectors? Good question. I'm not sure I have ever seen an actual size given; just the advice of do not wound unless necessary. I suppose you could say that the smaller the wound, the less likely to attract. But are we talking about 1/4" diameter cuts on small laterals? or are we talking about 2 to 3" wounds on main stems and trunk?

I would wait if possible and if not (damage is actually occurring to the house) then paint the wounds.

Sylvia

I must say that tree belongs in a specimen book , and if it were mine less is truely more , just cut out the house and leave it alone ....And if you grew that tree than give yourself a little pat on the back nice work..

I must say that tree belongs in a specimen book , and if it were mine less is truely more , just cut out the house and leave it alone ....And if you grew that tree than give yourself a little pat on the back nice work..

Yes that is a beautiful tree. Too bad it's too close to the house. One of them should go.

I agree - great looking tree!

Even better without the house.

attachment.php

well I like it better then without the tree but you would need a sharp pole saw to cut away that much house. Nice tree good luck with the trimming.

removed.jpg

Back