How to true up a bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Neb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an old 20" Homelite bar that really looks like it has a lot of life left.

It came on a parts saw I bought off of ebay but it has one major defect. It looks like the original owner either didn't bother to check the oiling or just used one section of the bar.

On one edge for about 6 inches just in front of the saw it has been burned and one of the rails is just about a millimeter or so lower than the other.

How would you dress this bar? Grind the one rail down to match? File? Belt-sander?

if you have a table saw with a dado insert, mount a 6'' fine grinding wheel on it, and gently hand grind it using the side of the wheel. a sanding disc attachment will work as well, but i prefer the wheel. its easy, fast and if your saw is in rig, will square the rails up perfectly. been doin it this way for over 30 years.

if you have a table saw with a dado insert, mount a 6'' fine grinding wheel on it, and gently hand grind it using the side of the wheel. a sanding disc attachment will work as well, but i prefer the wheel. its easy, fast and if your saw is in rig, will square the rails up perfectly. been doin it this way for over 30 years.

Good tip. Thanks. :clap:

the table saw idea is great, personally i use a grinder that is made for grinding bars, but in reality the table saw setup is basiclly the same idea, flat surface perpendicular to the grinding wheel

baileys sells a great tool

item number ukf about 15 to 17 bucks

i have 2 myself one in each truck there really work great to square up bars

Unless the bar has been hardened like a Cannon bar. My file skids.

I think I remember seeing in that well known book on chain saw milling using a circular saw mounted upside down with somesort of wheel on it for truing bars.

Don't laugh about using a circular saw upside down and mounted to something, it used to be common. I heard a story when Jet first got successful (woodworking machines among other things) they opened a big fancy office in Hong Kong or somewhere like that. The workmen that came to install (and fabricate) some of the fancy panelling etc have never used a tablesaw. They used a circular saw upside down bolted to a board, just like the old time router tables. A garbage can with a router upside down mounted to a board.

Last edited:
If your using a table saw or circular saw to turn a grinding wheel you better make sure your not over speeding the wheel. Most grinders run at or near 3400 rpm, some table saws can turn at 6000rpm and could cause the wheel to fly apart with deadly consequences. :eek: :(

Back