How Useful Is A Timberjack? The Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a woodchuck dual with the log jack option.

This is what I have, as well. Love that thing. Gets used on every job, and when cutting wood at the shop, too. I initially thought the aluminum handle would end up getting bent (my other ones are steel) but that big, fat hunk of aluminum tubing is actually stronger than my cheaper, steel ones.

Yeah, here's a third vote for the Woodchuck Dual. I don't use it all that often to jack a log off the ground, but it does that well. Mostly used to roll 'em over saving my aging back.

What are the primary differences between a peavy and a cant hook?

I can see the peavy has the pointed end, but not sure which one I should get.

Do you think one is better? If so, why?

ePhoenix

Another use for the spike on a peavy is for leverage, especially when you need to turn a log. Jab the spike in the ground on one end to hold that end in place. Then take your cant hook and roll the log from the other end. The end by the peavy will stay in place and the log will spin, the other end will roll and you can turn the log 45*, 90*, whatever. We would often do this when we wanted to drop one log across another to keep it off the ground, Joe.

I bought a Peavey mfg timber jack for when I was cutting up tops for fire wood of white oaks we had logged. It worked great since none of the limbs were straight. Now I just leave the stand off and pull the butts away from the stumps of the trash trees I'm cutting. I also use a long handled hookeroon for moving smaller stuff. I absolutely love that tool.

I own a woodchuck dual with the log jack option. It's a cant hook/peavey combo. It's a great tool

I have a woodchuck too, don't use the jack attachment too often, but you can turn a big log with it for sure definitely worth it. I ordered from the woodchuck website and got a pickaroon/hookaroon firewood tool included as well that I use everytime I load firewood to deliver.

A friend of mine gave me a generic timberjack with a massive wood handle. It worked great right up until the point where I lifted a rather large oak log and the "leg" ripped the steel gussets that keep it perpendicular to the handle turning my free timberjack into an overweight cant hook. I'll most likely end up investing in one of the options from Woodchuck but until then I make due with my Stihl peavey.

Latest posts

Back