how well does your splitter start in freezing weather?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is the hydraulic fluid.
if you disconnect the hydraulic pump your engine would fire right up. The sweet ticket would be a clutch between them. I am still thinkin about that idea.
YEARSA ago,,farmers had augers,,with gas engines on them. non pto....the engine plate,was on a slide affair. start it with no tension on the belts, when running,,youd pull the tightening lever,,and pull it over center to lock...worked great...now most of them,,are either electric driven, or pto away from the farm..

There is a good reason Tecumseh is out of business. A new ohv engine such as a briggs vanguard, suburu ex, or honda GX series will start easy *(second pull for mine) and will likely pay for itself soon in fuel savings and will be quieter to boot. Just run 0w-30 synthetic under 40 degrees.
hated Tecumseh that much,eh????

Hmmmm......
It does seem like Tecumseh has either lovers or haters... very few in-between.
Personally I'd take an older HH series Tecumseh over any "new" horizontal shaft, single cylinder offering out there... I'm not sure you could kill one if ya' tried. There's still a lot to be said about basic, simple design...

Mostly, the only way to kill one is run it out of oil - I had a hard starter years back, even in the summer. One of the times I was pulling the plug out of it, a head bolt moved - Turned out they were all lose, it was a two pull starter after that.

I like hondas and their clones. I never have started my splitter below freezing, so I have no idea how to answer the OP's question.

Is the OP out of wood? Is that why you are splitting now?

My splitter is a little cranky in the cold if he hasn't had his coffee.

I always liked Tecumseh engines. I had a HH120 on the WheelHorse I bought from the previous owner of our place. It was a nice engine but the rings were gone. I still prefer the Kohler K301/M12, but in fairness the Tecumseh was already shot when I got it. I have 10hp Tecumseh on my old generator - an HM100 that is real POS. It's used a lot of oil from new, it's loud as heck and the recoil fails regularly. The original Tecumseh carb had no adjusters and it didn't run for crap, so I put the adjustable carb from the HH120 on it after swapping the throttle shaft. Still impossible to start below 40deg without starting fluid (recoil start). Also, it swilled fuel like a drunken sailor and the exhaust fumes were awful.

Gotta say, the B&S OHV GenTekPro on the "new" generator is a great engine (it's from 2006 and was my dad's - he gave it to me after the voltage regulator failed). Doesn't use a drop of oil, and I've run it for days without stop, refilling it while it's running. Also it's much quieter, doesn’t stink and uses a lot less fuel.

I'd have to dig through the snow and crawl under my deck to pull off the tarp and haul my splitter out to know if it's hard to start in the cold. I suspect the 20 year old Kohler probably would be a bit obstinate about firing and then all the goo in the tank would fight like heck to keep it from getting enough momentum to stay running though.

Yeah, I'll just be sure to have enough wood to get me through to Spring and tough it out if I somehow run short. I burn just for ambiance and supplemental heat in the living room, so I'd just have to bump up the thermostat a few degrees anyway, so no biggie for me.

I've never been a great fan of doing anything outside once the temps drop below zero. Fortunately, I don't have to! Well, except clearing the drive when the drifts get too big for the UPS guy to get to the house, or for my wife's Prius to climb over them... :laugh:

I work outside when it's below zero... even split firewood if there some to be done. Extreme temperatures don't keep me indoors, but if ya' add wind it will. It's a rare day I don't get out at least for a few hours to do something (not always firewood related)... I just don't "feel" right if I don't get some fresh outdoor air every day. It was -6° yesterday when I went out... cleaned the ashes out the firebox in the shop, put some tools away, shoveled the snow out'a the pickup box (yeah, I do have one shovel that fits my hands), and just generally piddled about.

Anyway, at least once during mid-winter I start and run all the stored OPE and toys... I don't know why, it's just something I do, makes me feel better just knowing (or thinking) they will start in the spring. I figured yesterday was as good a day as any. I reckon it was a bit warmer in the machine shed, maybe zero or a touch under... the Harley golf cart (74 Kohler two-cycle), both lawn tractors (Kohler engines), the push mower and garden tiller (both Briggs), and Stihl weed whip all fired up and ran fine. The generator gets started one a month, the boy has been riding his little ATV, the chainsaw and splitter were both used less than a month ago, the Stihl leaf blower and MTD(?) snow thrower (Tecumseh two-cycle) are used regular for clearing snow, and the little tractor gets used 2-3 times a week. Everything I have will start without problem in sub-zero cold... always has. Well, except for the splitter hydraulic issues and I don't know about the pressure washer, it get's stored in the basement...

Heck, I don't even keep a can of ether... I've never needed it.

I do warm mine up first in the garage. But also have synthetic 10w30 in engine, and ATF for hydraulic fluid.
28 ton Speeco with a B&S engine, and yes I have been splitting wood in this below zero crap. So far no problems starting.

I'm not out of wood, I'm cutting and splitting wood for people buying green wood for next season. I've cut and hauled 6 cords so far, and split 5 chords of it by hand with a 6 pound maul.

I too had the same issue, when I went to the garage to add some oil, the 20w50 weight was frozen solid.( it was neg 29), I looked over at the lonely bottle of 'cold weather oil", that came with the snowblower I had just bought recently at it flowed freely in the bottle. i went back to the depot and bought a few quarts, replaced the oil in the splitter, (once the temp made it to 40 degrees), and now it starts clean and fast every time. I think that once the spring comes, I will replace again with 30 weight oil though.

Im still trying to figure out why anyone would want to be out in anything under 20 degrees. Any work i got can wait til warmer weather, screw that.
I had no choice... I was out of wood and the house needed heat. i was too generous this early winter.I gave away about 4 cord of my 11 cord pile to some new neighbors that moved in......Mistake!!!! that's what had me out in the cold cutting and splitting. Never again!

I'm not out of wood, I'm cutting and splitting wood for people buying green wood for next season. I've cut and hauled 6 cords so far, and split 5 chords of it by hand with a 6 pound maul.
Just thinking about swinging a maul makes my back ache! You must be a monster! LOL.

Im still trying to figure out why anyone would want to be out in anything under 20 degrees. Any work i got can wait til warmer weather, screw that.

And you live in Wisconsin?? Where?? And did you grow up there??
Man, if I waited for temperatures above 20°... well... that's like only 10 or 12 out'a the last 100... and then most of those were only for a couple hours in late afternoon.
Man, I'd be totally buried in work and chores needing doing... I wouldn't get caught-up for months (if I even did).
Really, I don't even notice the cold unless the wind is blowing... or I handle steel with bare fingers :confused:

I go outside in the cold when needed, but splitting can be done whens its at least 20 above, other wise it can wait.
After burning wood (only heat) for 34 years the last thing you ever want to do is get behind, its good for an anxiety attack.

Latest posts

Back