How / where do you store muriatic acid?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wax is a material that "breath". Not totally leak proof. I make cheese and wax them fir aging, as it age it release mousture trough the wax. Just my though.
I only taught chemistry at Universities and Colleges for 20 years so You might know better.

"Mousture" don't go "trough the wax" very easy. HCl gas even less so.

Pretty hard to stop water from going where it wants. Water goes through plastic coatings (like on furniture) with the seasons, and it migrates through plastics like polyester gelcoat (on boats) and even epoxy. Some plastics slow it down better than others (they measure and rate it with "Moisture Exclusion Effectiveness" -- MEE -- numbers) but none of them stop it.

Untitled-4.jpg

I worked as a pH D Chemist, organic chemistry, taught college chemistry > 20 years.

I put mosisture sensitive , newly /never before made, compounds under argon, in a vacuum dessicator ( ~ 0.1mm Hg). The containers/desicator were flushed with dry argon, capped and sealed with wax. The compounds sealed that way, lasted years.

Wax works good.

What have You worked with?

P.S. if you want moisture out, put P2O5 , inside your vacuum desicator, as a moisture scavenger. FYI , P205 = phosphorous pentoxide.

What have You worked with?
Mainly practical applications: Plastic coatings on furniture, FRP composites (polyester, vinylester, epoxy, etc), gelcoat blisters in polyester laminates in boats, etc., though I do have 2 semesters of college chem (analytic for techs, inorganic for engrs). Yeah, I've used desiccants like P2O5 when using analytical balances...at least I think that's what it was. And I've been around HCl a few times -- my dad worked in a plant that used a train-car load of HCl (it came as a compressed gas, I believe) every day.

Yes, wax is very good, but it isn't perfect. USFS found that although the MEE for paraffin was higher than anything they tested, it was still only 70% when in air @ 80°F and 90% RH.

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrp/fplrp462.pdf

Water generally goes where it wants to go. It's kinda like trying to stop the tides. Best thing to do is just get out of the way.

Mainly practical applications: Plastic coatings on furniture, FRP composites (polyester, vinylester, epoxy, etc), gelcoat blisters in polyester laminates in boats, etc., though I do have 2 semesters of college chem (analytic for techs, inorganic for engrs). Yeah, I've used desiccants like P2O5 when using analytical balances...at least I think that's what it was. And I've been around HCl a few times -- my dad worked in a plant that used a train-car load of HCl (it came as a compressed gas, I believe) every day.

Yes, wax is very good, but it isn't perfect. USFS found that although the MEE for paraffin was higher than anything they tested, it was still only 70% when in air @ 80°F and 90% RH.

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrp/fplrp462.pdf

Water generally goes where it wants to go. It's kinda like trying to stop the tides. Best thing to do is just get out of the way.
That's a wax film polished to a piece of wood.

No. It was either "molten paraffin brushed on" (for one test specimen) or a "molten paraffin wax dip" (for another). Reading the report might help.
I published many papers in the ,Journal of Organic Chemistry, Tetrahydron, Tetrahydron Letters , Journal of the Chemical Society, and the Journal of the American Chemical Society , as an author.

Want to read them?

Back