how would you feel about this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i recently ordered a piece of saftey equipment from a well known arborist supply. when i recieved it........it looks similar to the item i ordered, but was a completely different animal. if used for the intended purpose it would basicly get you seriously injured or killed. since this is basicly a new item on the market and most people have not seen it, if sent to the wrong hands it could put a person in a terrible situation. the only reason i knew it was not what i ordered, because i've seen them before in my rec climbing. but if someone saw it for the first time it would look like what was ordered.

sorry for being vauge, but i'm not ready to name names. so what do you think? should i use it anyway and get hurt so i can have a nice law suit? somene should be held accountable for this mistake.

I would be contacting the supplier first. I'd also not be posting vague but incriminating posts about said supplier unless the change was made due to poor management decisions. Post back after you've spoken with them and found out why they sent you that item instead of what you ordered.

Oh, and go ahead and file a lawsuit. That way you can provide incentive for yet another arborist supply store to quit carrying advanced climbing gear at all, because too many people are too quick to blame others for their own incompetence and/or carelessness. If you aren't willing to take full responsibility for your own actions, then don't use unfamiliar gear.

Or are you just trying to stir the pot here?

i called them today, but was told the person i needed to speak to was not in. so i'll call tomorrow.

skwerl said:
unless the change was made due to poor management decisions.

to the untrained eye it looks correct but in reality it operates completely different, and not as origionaly intended.

skwerl, this has nothing to do with taking responsibility for you own actions. this is almost the same as a rope being labeled to hold 5500lbs and snapping at 300lbs. taking responsibility is about knowing the safe working loads of your gear. if you recieved a new hank of your favorite climbing line and it snapped the first time you used it, how would you feel as you plummeted to the ground?

Good point Skwerl. A saw shop that sells climbing equipment in Surrey B.C. quit selling awesome steelcores cause of morons. They used to sell steelcores that had a rope snap on one end and a mechanical slack adjuster/cam device on the other end. You can tighten by pulling but it takes two hands for slack, cats meow. Thier insurance company made them quit selling them after a couple of "accidents", one was real fishy where a guy who did not work for a company, no insurance, or comp. "fell out of a tree" and was alledgedly hurt. There was no compensation board investigation, which always takes place if a piece of safety equipment fails. I don't know the final outcome. The other one was when some guys from orange were pulling a v8 out of a car with a one of these steelcores.....now they just sell the pieces and you have to take it to someone to have it made (crimping fittings after the wire is run around through the thimble and the crimp at the dead end). Takes a hydrualic press with special dies I guess. When you find, see or get something like that you have a moral obligation to help others from injury.

kf_tree said:
i called them today, but was told the person i needed to speak to was not in. so i'll call tomorrow.

to the untrained eye it looks correct but in reality it operates completely different, and not as origionaly intended.

skwerl, this has nothing to do with taking responsibility for you own actions. this is almost the same as a rope being labeled to hold 5500lbs and snapping at 300lbs. taking responsibility is about knowing the safe working loads of your gear. if you recieved a new hank of your favorite climbing line and it snapped the first time you used it, how would you feel as you plummeted to the ground?

I would feel like I was falling :D . Really though, I would get as much info from the supplier as possible as to why it's being advertised as it is.

RandyS said:
I'd call them right away. You were lucky and noticed the problem, others might not. You could be saving somebody Else's life.

I agree with Randy. You should also email them and let a manager know about this problem. If it works but not for the purpose that it is intended for there could be serious injuries.

i think the problem is , because it is a new item the vendor does not enev know what there looking at. i ordered 2 or them, i recieved one and one was back ordered. when i recieved the second it was completely different than the first. i took it apart and my suspicions were correct. after i speak with then tomorrow i'll post their response.

Two items that work completley different and have different purposes but look almost exactly the same. Someone (in the shipping dept-probly not an arborist) got the items confused and sent you the wrong one.

Sounds like an honest mistake. You're an arborist and it's professional gear. Sometimes I don't get what I order either, but every piece of gear comes with instructions that explain it's operation and purpose. Then there's a disclaimer that basically says "the manufacturer gaurantees against defects, but use at your own risk."

well. i spoke with the vendor, and they did not know of the mistake. they told me to keep the incorrect one, and they will get the correct one to me. the scarey thing is there is one more out there that they need to track down.

Everyone makes mistakes. What separates the men from the boys is how the mistake is handled after it's discovered.

kf_tree said:
well. i spoke with the vendor, and they did not know of the mistake. they told me to keep the incorrect one, and they will get the correct one to me. the scarey thing is there is one more out there that they need to track down.

Call off the dogs, I received the other wrong item. I knew it was the wrong one when it arrived as a back order, I'd been too busy to get back to them. They called today, everything's squared away. There was never any danger on my side. When I saw the wrong item I knew immediately that it was probably not what I'd ordered (there was a chance that it was correct and the design and color had changed). After I inspected it I knew for sure that it was not what I'd ordered. Brock2Saws covered it pretty well. Good news that no harm done and the supplier handled it well on my side.

Small world isn't it?
-moss

Last edited:
moss said:
No need to be scared, I received the other wrong item. I knew it was the wrong item when I received it as a back order. I'd been too busy to get back to them. Talked to them today, everything's squared away. There was never any danger on my side.
-moss

small world huh?

Yep, it's good that kf_tree contacted the supplier or I'd still be looking at the thing and saying to myself "get off your butt and call them!"
-moss

I ordered two Yates Tear Away Screamers that activate at 1kn. If it can't hold the load after activation it will completely release it. It's made with yellow webbing and is intended for holding equipment. I received one and then got the back order only it was a Yates 600 Screamer made with gray webbing and different construction which activates at 2kn and releases to a 24kn closed sling. It does not tear away. It came with info explaining what it was so I never had any question about what it was. That's basically it. I've never had any other problems with the supplier and will continue to use them in the future.
-moss

gear

kf_tree said:
i recently ordered a piece of saftey equipment from a well known arborist supply. when i recieved it........it looks similar to the item i ordered, but was a completely different animal. if used for the intended purpose it would basicly get you seriously injured or killed. since this is basicly a new item on the market and most people have not seen it, if sent to the wrong hands it could put a person in a terrible situation. the only reason i knew it was not what i ordered, because i've seen them before in my rec climbing. but if someone saw it for the first time it would look like what was ordered.

sorry for being vauge, but i'm not ready to name names. so what do you think? should i use it anyway and get hurt so i can have a nice law suit? somene should be held accountable for this mistake.
the vagueness is understood. we ordered prussik cord to step up our abilties, when it arrived it looked rather flimsy but we were dying to become new school climbers we had never seen the stuff but hey the catalog said it was rated, tied it in and said to my bud i guess this is gonna take some getting used too, took it off my line and packed it away. it just didnt seem like it would hold. we had a gear geek running out of our shop who checked it then scoured the catalog he proclaimed we had been sent the wrong thing. called the out fit they said it happens all the time. prusik cord i was told by the salesman, was labeled pc the other thing that shared the same pc label, pruner cord. thankfully no one ever used this aloft. needless to say we no longer use this vendor.

Back