How would you have dropped it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's very common for guys to mistake conjoined trees for a single tree with codominate leaders. The short answer woody is it sounds like you got lucky. From your description I probably would have treated it as two separate trees.

I think having the chain pulling against the other trunk increased my luck significantly. I had a wedge in and it never budged during the whole process, I was also about 30 rows of corn stubble away when it actually fell also!!!

Where's the common sense to keep your mouth shut? Have you seen some of the hair-brained stuff people put up on this site about how they tipped a tree over? Or watched any of the how-not-to-do-it youtube videos? And then they stand tall behind it like they know what the hell they're doing. They figured they got it on the ground, and they're still able to turn the camera off- so they musta "done good pilgrim".
No, most of the time they're complete idiots who shouldn't be allowed to cut their own carrots at dinner, let alone cut a tree down.
Woody asked for some advice from professional fallers (which I'm not, and so won't comment about it). What he didn't ask was how cool his "hold my beer and watch this" scenario played out. So please, keep the "it's all good, you're still alive. I can't judge you" comments to yourself. What a comment like that says is: I don't have, nor do I care about what it takes to do this kind of work in the safest and most effective manner possible.

You're not a faller. Keep YOUR mouth shut.

A few years ago I was working with a new hire for a couple days. Course you can't show him everything, but it seemed like he was paying attention and the job was smaller pulp type wood so he went to it on his own. Soft maple, beech etc.

Well, it wasn't more than an hour and I could see he was in the truck. Walked out and asked him what the deal was. He had faced a twin soft maple with the face in one stem only. It had a real tight seam so I guess he thought it was a crotched out single stem. The back cut went right through on stem and of course it sat on the bar. The cut was far enough in that the stem with the face cut fell as well. Smashed the saw a bit and by the size of the kids eyes I think he learned a lesson.

A few years ago I was working with a new hire for a couple days. Course you can't show him everything, but it seemed like he was paying attention and the job was smaller pulp type wood so he went to it on his own. Soft maple, beech etc.

Well, it wasn't more than an hour and I could see he was in the truck. Walked out and asked him what the deal was. He had faced a twin soft maple with the face in one stem only. It had a real tight seam so I guess he thought it was a crotched out single stem. The back cut went right through on stem and of course it sat on the bar. The cut was far enough in that the stem with the face cut fell as well. Smashed the saw a bit and by the size of the kids eyes I think he learned a lesson.

I think fence row hedge are the worst, 4 or 5 stems grow together and the limbs are so intertwined that when you cut one you have to throw a chain on it and drag it out to get to the next one. I did not see the seam in this cherry until I got within 6' or so

If chucker's post was all sarcasm, I didn't pick up on it. In that case, I'm the ignorant one and my post was out of line. If the post wasn't sarcasm, then the shoe's still on the other foot. For the most part, AS is full of good advice. Too often though I see the response of "its on the ground and you're not hurt" to scenarios where something is really out of order/incorrect/not safe. Those situations need to be called out. My post would have been better suited with some tact.

If chucker's post was all sarcasm, I didn't pick up on it. In that case, I'm the ignorant one and my post was out of line. If the post wasn't sarcasm, then the shoe's still on the other foot. For the most part, AS is full of good advice. Too often though I see the response of "its on the ground and you're not hurt" to scenarios where something is really out of order/incorrect/not safe. Those situations need to be called out. My post would have been better suited with some tact.
"WOODY912" there was no sarcasm meant or intended towards your post! any damage to property would not really matter as my comment was a fact that you are alive and well! your personal safety is all that matters first and last in life ! we all learn from our mistakes. which myself at 57 seem to do repeatedly way to often! lol but then I am still learning daily and hope to continue to do so daily for quite some time!!!! sorry for any misjudgment on my part!!!! so "all is good from this pilgrim".....!

"WOODY912" there was no sarcasm meant or intended towards your post! any damage to property would not really matter as my comment was a fact that you are alive and well! your personal safety is all that matters first and last in life ! we all learn from our mistakes. which myself at 57 seem to do repeatedly way to often! lol but then I am still learning daily and hope to continue to do so daily for quite some time!!!! sorry for any misjudgment on my part!!!! so "all is good from this pilgrim".....!

All good here. Interesting thing is I was bucking this tree today well below a fork and it broke and swatted my buddy in the head, had no inkling it would break there. ( no harm, no foul) all included bark. Hope to get a pic of this stump when the snow clears

What was your buddy doing that close? Just because a tree's on the ground doesn't mean it isn't dangerous. Trees, especially full canopy trees, still store a lot of potential energy until they're fully bucked up. I've seen more guys hurt that way than anything.

What was your buddy doing that close? Just because a tree's on the ground doesn't mean it isn't dangerous. Trees, especially full canopy trees, still store a lot of potential energy until they're fully bucked up. I've seen more guys hurt that way than anything.

Well said.

I cut and he piles brush. Because of the snow conditions we take the little stuff off and then leave the skeletons until the firewood guy can get there before cutting to length. I usually have to cut a limb or two to get some of the little stuff to cutting level. This particular one I was about 2' below a fork working up from the butt while he picked up the top stuff I had worked on, would have waved him out on the next cut! I usually circle the tree so we can work opposite ends and keep him away from the saw. Never dreamed this one would split. File this under good lesson.

+1 i have been hurt way worse topping than any thing. hard wood...oak more so and hickory can store an amazing amount of energy.

+1 i have been hurt way worse topping than any thing. hard wood...oak more so and hickory can store an amazing amount of energy.
Hedge and hackberry are my worst. Tough as nails and intertwined and hurt like blazes when you get whipped on a 0 degree morning. All wild cherry in this fencerow, I get a break this winter

Hedge (osage orange ) is without a doubt the hardest wood I've ever cut.
green hedge here is not bad as long as it is not frozen, however these trees are on the edge of a cornfield and the growth rings are about 3/4' apart; don't know if the rapid growth decreases hardness.

not reading what anyone would do. (at this point)

This is what im thinking, it sounds like two trees,most likely.
Another theory is posible but less likely, So it was a fuse.
Did I answer the question? I think I'm in the wrong forum:wtf:
In cases and with species like cedar they will hold and you have two options (on a hillside)To seperate and bore, one, one way and one the other or fall as one.
Not the case here, Obviously the heavier front won't pull the back snipe if judged wrong,causing a pinch or possibly loss of control as its two trees and the back one wouldn't have an undercut. If I was able to wedge the back one from the side I'd drop the front one, other posible options?
high cut, high wedge? but your stronger fibers are at the bottom? notch in for a bottle jack or stand in the fork maybe climb another 5 ft and tie. pull it over as you did at that point.

Back