how would you remove these

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryknight

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have two trees that have fallen over the bank and need to be removed. I have an idea on how to do this but i am looking to see if anyone has a better idea. I have access to a backhoe and a twin line tow truck.

oak tree (these pics were taken at low low tide)

008_zps4f9a6e4d.jpg

009_zpsd7a1b92b.jpg

my plan is to work at low tide if possible. I would like to have three guys one cutting, one pulling cut limbs to the shore/helping the guy on shore, and one on shore doing something with said limbs. my plan is to cut the limbs and pass them off once we get to bigger limbs (something that one can't drag easily to shore and throw onto the bank) fire up the backhoe and lift/drag the large limbs on shore once we get to he trunk I hope to pull it sideways to the bank and then cut it in 2-3 large sections and lift them up onto the bank (5ft up) once on shore it should be easy enough to deal with

cherry tree

010_zps46582452.jpg

same sort of idea except fro the topmost (in the photo) tie it off and pull it sideways then cut it and drag it on to shore. this one may end up being more difficult because there is no as much space to work in

if anyone has any other ideas let me know

I would cut it at the base then hook it to the backhoe boom and see if I could pull the whole tree, if not cut top off and pull it out in 2 pieces

I would cut it at the base then hook it to the backhoe boom and see if I could pull the whole tree, if not cut top off and pull it out in 2 pieces

there's no way the back hoe can pull it up in one piece maybe two but again i doubt it. the problem is getting it up high enough to clear the bank otherwise you are pulling everything into the bank.

easy
just go in the water and start cutting... doesn't really seem like to much of a hassle

one guy cuts one guy tosses on shore one guy handles it once its on land I don't really see the need for heavy equip but if you got it use it.

you might be able to do that, but there is no way i can pick up 28in diameter oak logs and toss them upto head level 5-6 ft onto the bank

Cant you just cut it in smaller pieces and pull it away with a truck ?

you may need long straps that's about it

The one that's still standing would never touch the water and just haul the other one in. one could do that with a 4cylinder Toyota.

there's no way the back hoe can pull it up in one piece maybe two but again i doubt it. the problem is getting it up high enough to clear the bank otherwise you are pulling everything into the bank.

I also don't see what the problem is unless there is more to that bank than you show. I can't imagine a backhoe and a rope not being able to pull those onto dry ground after you cut them off.:msp_confused:

Your making too much of a project out of this 1 hr job .If you have a backhoe , grab it midway and lift it out . If it's too soft of ground back away some hook a chain to it and lift away . Same thing with that piece of standing brush.

i hope you're not in the tree service industry if you're asking this question? Put a rope/chain @ the base and drag it out with a truck or skidsteer, etc.

I also don't see what the problem is unless there is more to that bank than you show. I can't imagine a backhoe and a rope not being able to pull those onto dry ground after you cut them off.:msp_confused:

i will tell a little about the bank. the pic don't show it very well. the bank is between 5-6 ft high and has been undercut by water. i wouldn't feel comfortable getting any closer than 7 ft to it with equipment. in the past people have thrown concrete, bricks, blocks, rocks over it trying to stabilize it. that plus roots and the hollow area make it so you can't just pull it back onto the bank. the butt of the trunk will need to be lifted onto the shore and then drug up at which point traction may or may not be an issue.

Must be an optical illusion, 28" diameter?

okay i exaggerated a little bit it is 24 in.

Your making too much of a project out of this 1 hr job .If you have a backhoe , grab it midway and lift it out . If it's too soft of ground back away some hook a chain to it and lift away . Same thing with that piece of standing brush.

i wish i could do it in one hour but i don't think that that will happen. i find it funny that a 16" diameter tree is a shrub

i hope you're not in the tree service industry if you're asking this question? Put a rope/chain @ the base and drag it out with a truck or skidsteer, etc.

nope just looking for some advice from them

i will get more pictures when get back to it. and just for kicks i will hook the backhoe to as some have suggested an see what happens. my guess the front wheels come off the ground and i go no where or the back wheels come off the ground and i go nowhere

Looks can be deceiving, I wouldn't have thought this Pine you showed was this big when you put it in the truck!
001_zpscf62e2c3.jpg

006_zps72794b13.jpg

Looks can be deceiving, I wouldn't have thought this Pine you showed was this big when you put it in the truck!

things look small with all the leaves around them, but this one is about 24" across at the base

Ya have to cut the trunk first.:hmm3grin2orange:

smarty pants:msp_wink:

hope to get to this project next weds

Pull the trunk as close as you can. Then grab it near the middle to top and get the whole tree on the bank. A tow truck could pull the whole thing to dry ground.

alright got to the oak today. didn't wait for low tide so i got a little wet. used the tow truck and skidded with teh backhoe. had my father helping me. it is his equipment and he said that he wouldn't try and move the whole tree at once and he was right it wasn't going to move. other than breaking the cable clamps on one cable (it was close to the end of the day) and running the truck out of fuel DOH it went fairly smoothly. had it up, cut into firewood, and the brush cleaned up into a pile in about 5 hours. here are some pictures

043.jpg

the backhoe as a skidder

045.jpg

048.jpg

052.jpg

some more

054.jpg

059.jpg

got about 1 1/4 cords out of it

060.jpg

i was right the first time about a 28 in diameter bar is 25 in

061.jpg