How young is too young to run a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waylan.
I started cutting wood with a Bow Saw, when I was 9 or 10. Heck my Uncle had a McCulloch Sticker, and wrapped it around the Tube of the Saw LOL. I thought I had the World by the Tail
I'd watch Dad Notch the trees that he fell with the Chain Saw, Watched him read a tree, and figure out where the tree was going to go.
Then I would go around the bush, and cut up dead fall, and cut down the odd dead sappling, like my Dad did with the bigger trees, with the Chain Saw. I figured if I could cut a Wheel Barrow load full of Fire Wood, That was a Good Day. Even built up my Arm Mussels too.
I did that for 5 years, until I was 15 and Graduated to the Mac 10-10 Automatic. I then hung the Bow Saw up on the wall, above a workbench in the Garage. Great memories working with that Bow Saw.
It's your Son, and you have to do what you feel right. No Body can tell you Different, BUT the right person seeing you let him operate that Chain Saw, even you holding that Chain Saw the way you said you did, could have you charged for Child Endangerment.
Look at it another way, you where talking about Kick Back Zone, remeber this OK, There are Unforeseen Objects that can be in that tree, a Peble grown in the tree some where, a Bullet or a Nail that could throw that Chain Saw Uncontrollably, and Endanger you both. Then What.
I agree with a few of the others here about getting him a Bow Saw, and let hi's tackle some of the limbs, dead fall, and teaching him how to place his notches, and reading how to fall a Dead Sappling.
Then when he turns 13 or so, let him run the Powered Saw. If it was my Son, this is what I'd do for sure. At least he will be cutting wood with his Dad, and learning to cut wood and being Safe, even with a Bow Saw. Take Care. Bruce.

I was 13 or 14, but mature for my age. I wouldn't let my 14 year old son run a saw, but my 10 year old probably could at that time. As has been said, just too many things to keep track of for someone that young. A bowsaw on the other hand would be a great thing. Set him loose on some branches.

Mark

I don't use my chainsaw often enough for my boys (8,6 and 2) to even ask about running it. But I'll tell you what, they didn't need to ask me to use the bow saw. I have a huge pile of sumak they cut down to make a house in the back of my property. I will add this: my 8 year old has just started cutting the grass for me. I got him a small riding mower (a 1971 Ariens) with the safety switches intact, gave him the stern talking to about not chasing people or animals, shut the machine off before you get off, shut the machine off if you see someone coming towards you, etc.... I watch him the whole time he is cutting and I can tell you, he has certainly matured since I gave him this honor. He looks like he is 10 feet tall when he is riding that mower! He enjoys it, I am thankful for the extra 2 or 3 hours I have each week to accomplish other tasks and I hate to subdue a willingness to help out around the house. A chainsaw is a little different, as you never know what you are getting into when cutting. I think you are the only one that can determine whether your son is old/mature enough to handle it. Definitely get some PPE for him though.

8 might be a little young

I first ran my dads saw when I was 12, it was a big old heavy homlite and that was way to big and heavy for me at the time. Later that year I ran a 024 and my brother 10 at the time ran a 011 cutting up 4 trees that were taken down for some roadway improvements. Both of us learned a lot about running saws and were under close supervision most of the time. But as soon as I learned to run the saw I found myself running different saws all the time to impress friends and just to cut wood because it is fun. Once your son starts running saws he will start to gain more and more confidence and begin doing things with the saw on his own which could be dangerous.

Prime example of this, is at 8 I was aloud to mow with the riding lawn mower (john deere 400 hydro). Once the initial fear was gone then came confidence and soon enough the mower ended up on its side because I was trying to see how fast I could get from the creek to the house. Young and dumb a lot of times is a tough way to learn (not that your so is dumb).

I'm the guy who posted this a while ago...
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=73437

I started him with a saw at 10 cutting cookies and "poles" as I call them into firewood length. He's now 12 and I allow him to work independently with 'his' 011. I do this with PPE and CLOSE SUPERVISION. Having said that we started working as a 'team' since he was about 5. I NEVER treated him like a kid but rather as a adult. By that I mean I didn't give him things to do he was incapable of or would be dangerous to him but what I did have him do I made sure he understood, interpreted instructions well and was praised for a job well done and held accountable for shoddy work. Also I'm blessed in that he loves to read so he often reads things about stuff we are working on and also things like this site. All learning experiences. My point is that while he was using hand tools at 6 or 7 and a saw a 10 the process started long before that. It also depends upon the kid too, of course. I have a friend who has three boys. The OLDEST two would scare the heck out of me with a chainsaw in the same room. The youngest boy is sharp as a tack and is of the type that I could teach the same as my son. I not saying I'm right I'm just saying this is what I did and make no judgments right or wrong as to what anyone else does. YMMV

As a dad, its your job to figure out if he is old enough. is he scared of the saw just enough to have great respect for it, or so scared that he can't think straight. I started when i was 8, but I was twice the size of most 8 year olds. I don't think my dad cut me loose on my own untill i was about 12, but i had 4 years exp. with supervision. my son is 10, and just started runing saw a month or so ago. My son has alot more exp. being around heavy equimpent, and other equipment that can kill you than most any other kid. I already have lots of confidence in my sons ability to run saw on his own (but I still won't let him). My son started running excavator when he was 5, started racing motocross at 6. at 9 he could clear 75% of the jumps at the local track. on his 7th B-day he got his first gun. He is 10 now, and would have no problem hopping in any vehicle here and going to town, Including my harley if he didn't have to stop.. My son takes direction Very well, and has the confidence to not be to scared of any thing, just scared enough to pay close attention. I guess my point is that age means nothing. not 1 bit, nota zip zero. some one tells you differently, they are small minded. I know lots of adults I don't trust with a saw, gun, heavy equipment, or even on the road. I know 2 10 year olds that I could trust to do all 4. (my sons best friend thats ben hanging around with us for almost 10 years, also a heavy equipment operator, and future motocross super star)

Wow, alot of good advice..........I will be safe with him. Lots of you act as though I started the saw and gave him a few pointers and went on about my business........I was standing less than a foot away ready to react.....helped him get the saw started in every cut. I know, I agree they are dangerous, and don't blame anyone for being against it.........I guess I just see it through a little different light.

He will be in his teens before I let him actively help me, both running a saw each........and still in my supervision........I just thought it would be ok letting him make a few cuts everytime we go out, kinda give him something more to look forward to other than hard work and sweat.......heck, we didn't even have koolaid, lol. A bow saw?........I think he would quit going with me.

Anyway, didn't mean to start an alarming thread.

Maybe I can get some small chaps and hem them to fit, and put a full face shield on him if I can find one to fit, just to be extra cautious. I will be super careful no matter, but I intend to continue this practice.

Thanks again for all the safety pointers.

Waylan
Let em cut! If hes into it and you are there supervising its the same as newbie adult on a saw. Shear strength doesn't have a lot to do with safety. We dont manhandle our saws and hes not able to. Saw should do the work.. i started young, im still not big but i cut large trees and am safe. Sooner the better i say. We need to remember that saws arnt toys but they are fun!

Way Too Young!

You're Asking For It. A Chainsaw Is Way Too Dangerous For An 8 Yr Old Or 9 Yr Old For That Matter, Regardless Of His Motor Skills. Too Much Could Go Wrong Too Fast & Too Easy. One False Move Is All It Takes & You'll Have A Lifetime Of Regret. And When You're In The Emergency Room Trying To Stop The Bleeding Keep In Mind He Won't Be Going Home With You. The Police Will Show Up, Dhr Will Show Up, They'll Take Him From You, Lock You Up & You'll Be On The 6 O'clock News....nationwide. It Ain't Worth All That. In Fact, It Wouldn't Surprise Me If Some Goody Goody Do Gooder Is Requesting Your Personal Info Now & Seeking To Turn You In To The Authorities. Again, It Ain't Worth All That.

Too young. (too easy to get saw into a foot or leg, even for a experienced guy or gal)

AND I always stay far away from anyone else that is running a chainsaw AND I always warn others to not EVER come up too me on my blindside when I'm running a saw. I get very mad and eat their ASS out royally when they do not listen to my safety advice when operating chainsaws. If they don't listen to my safety advice I either quit cutting and go to the house or I send their ass elsewhere.

I do not trust anyone around me that is running a chainsaw. I do not want my meat in my saw or in their saw and don't want their blood rusting up my saw's chain.

Saw chaps are a good thing for anyone running a saw.

Used to go help my dad cut firewood. Was probably between 8 and 10. He'd let me run the XL12 Homelite that he bought new and around that time an elderly neighbor gave him a Remington PL4 that I claimed as mine. I don't know how much I actually cut. Probably not a lot, but I used to run the saws on my own with close supervision. Or I would run around with a hatchet and delimb. But I was driving bulldozers and running backhoes by that age as well. My dad was just the kind of person who thought the best way to learn was do it. I spent many hours riding around with my dad on tractors and wanted to do everything he did. When he was home from work he was always doing something and I was usually right by his side as far back as I can remember. Thankfully I've never gotten hurt doing any of it, aside from scrapes and scratches. I've gotten far more injuries from riding dirt bikes.

Only time my kids want to do anything with me is if I turn on the Play Station. They have not been around it as much and I wouldn't think of handing an 8 year old a chainsaw now, although I'd let one cut while helping to hold the saw. My older boys are 13 and 16, and they could probably handle it. I'd have to force them to do it though. My youngest son just turned 1.

What about one of the battery powered saws for a younger person? I would never even dream of cutting a kid loose even with my MS170, but a battery saw might be just about right.

as long as dads there and he dose only what he tells him to do and he is strong enuf then go for it set in them all the safty rules from a young age and the will never forget same go's for firearms.

What about one of the battery powered saws for a younger person?
Battery and corded electric saws are not toys, but they are quieter, and there is less fussing with starting, etc. Easy 'on', easy 'off'.

Could help someone focus on cutting hazards. But still susceptible to kick-back, and can still cause a nasty cut.

Would still need supervision, training, PPE, etc.

Philbert

The way you described the event, I see nothing wrong with letting him get the feel of it.
You know you boy better than anyone here. Some people wouldn't be safe with a saw at 28.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. My son is 17 now.........never got injured, but then again we didn't cut alot either. He's taller than me now, lol. But I still worry because the danger is there - just have to be careful.

Waylan

Philbert, I agree with you completely...I plan to buy a battery Stihl for my kids to learn on.
I think that'd be a good route to take, but with it being quiet and all, they may be less afraid, or less intimidated , and could get "too comfortable" I guess you could say.

Back