How'd I do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalspec

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just bought this Homelite C-72 from a guy here for $50. With a little tinkering, it runs idles and cuts! Not real familiar with these old Homelites, but I think I got a pretty good deal. ...Or did I pay too much? He was asking $70.

Trying to read up on these saws... is it original or should it have some green paint on it?

Looks nice! I've been wanting to get one of those, but have yet to find the right deal on one. $50 for a runner is a fair price - I'd definitely give you your money back + shipping if you wanted to get rid of it!!

50 bucks is a good deal in my opinion. You took a chance buying it in non-running condition but you won by getting her back to life. That little bar on it will make that saw scream in the wood. Just let the cutting begin and be happy.:greenchainsaw:

If you wanted it +1

It is not how you did. If you wanted it, you got a good deal. Life is short (God is Good) so enjoy it. I do my old vibrating Remingtons, and found a bunch of nice people to hang out with some.

Wasn't through.

Put you a 20 inch bar on it. do a little clean and paint. You got a heck of a saw (conversation piece to) Old saw looks good.

computeruser... I'll keep you in mind if I go to get rid of it! Which might actually not be too far off... with the baby on the way and all...

the bar is a little wore and the chain is a little dull... but, it still cut pretty good in a piece of 12" oak. Cant wait to see how she'll do with a sharp chain and a tightened up bar...

Should it have green paint or does it look original? Looks like the air cleaner cover is a shade different from the rest of the saw.

bobbyb13... That's pretty much how it went... I saw it and wanted it. I had to have it and went back for it! It looked pretty clean, I thought... so I took a chance. I keep going out and starting it and letting it idle... it makes me smile! :clap:

I love the design of the C series Homelites. I only wish they had auto oilers. Later versions could have an outboard auto oiler added, but I've yet to see one of these. Probably as rare as the gear-drive kit for the Cs. The 1050s and 2000 series are also beautiful saws, but I've yet to come across a decent deal.

Dan

I love the design of the C series Homelites. I only wish they had auto oilers. Later versions could have an outboard auto oiler added, but I've yet to see one of these. Probably as rare as the gear-drive kit for the Cs. The 1050s and 2000 series are also beautiful saws, but I've yet to come across a decent deal.

Dan

I'll definitely have to get used to pumping the manual oiler... I want to cut some wood with this saw!

Cool, I think you did okay for a runner, and yup, the origional color scheme was red & green (the air filter cover was green). Quite the beast actually at a tad over 80cc, not a screamer but made to work hard. They came with .404 b&c so you might want to swap that out to 3/8ths sprocket bar chain, just a thought.
Mike's site info here> http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...22942624cb63933888256c2600183ef9?OpenDocument

:cheers: to da 'new' baby!

Serge

Cool, I think you did okay for a runner, and yup, the origional color scheme was red & green (the air filter cover was green). Quite the beast actually at a tad over 80cc, not a screamer but made to work hard. They came with .404 b&c so you might want to swap that out to 3/8ths sprocket bar chain, just a thought.
Mike's site info here> http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...22942624cb63933888256c2600183ef9?OpenDocument

:cheers: to da 'new' baby!

Serge

Thanks!
It appears to have 3/8 b&c on it now... I thought the air filter cover looked a little lighter shade of red, as if it were off of another saw. I'll have to make it green again if I ever restore it.

The air filter cover on the C72 was red. The entire saw was red...

Here is a pic of my NOS C72...

As for the Auto Oiler, Here is a link to Darrin's Chainsaws. There should be a C9 that he has restored and converted over to use the auto oiler down toward the bottom of his saws selection...

www.bigdmc.com/Chainsaw.html

My avatar has the gear drive add-on on it... Here's another pic of it...

Never realized it before, but you actually have an air filter cover off of the original C-Series saws. They were enclosed except for the rear portion just over the handle bars. They changed the design because this hole would get plugged when the saw was used a lot in heavy snow. Here is a pic of my C7 with the same cover...

They had a more modern air filter cover available to fix this concern. An example of that cover can be seen over on www.acresinternet.com under Magnus's pic of his C7 listed in the Homelite C7 profile...

Never realized it before, but you actually have an air filter cover off of the original C-Series saws. They were enclosed except for the rear portion just over the handle bars. They changed the design because this hole would get plugged when the saw was used a lot in heavy snow. Here is a pic of my C7 with the same cover...

They had a more modern air filter cover available to fix this concern. An example of that cover can be seen over on www.acresinternet.com under Magnus's pic of his C7 listed in the Homelite C7 profile...

GPH85.. What about the plate partially covering the entrance of the carb? i've never seen this before. Do they all have that? Seems kind of restrictive. ...Nice saws by the way!

Ahhh. You must be talking about the carburetor deflector. Yeh, I usually just take them off and set them aside to if I ever decide to put them back on. Honestly they don't kill power on these saws too much, but they do kill it down some. Just remember if you take it off to retune your saws high jet.

The only notes I've ever seen on this is that it was optional and you are to remove it if using a heat exchanger type of muffler... Not sure what real true purpose they served. Anyone know on this one???

You know, I don't believe I've ever commented on your saw. Your C72 is actually in pretty good shape from what I have seen. The handle bar is a little bent, but not enough to hurt function and your air filter cover "original" is gone. Not a big surprise on that one. They were a pretty common broke item on these saws due to the weak side construction on them. I actually bought a "internally" burnt up C72 just for it's air filter cover and a few other items to go on my auger C72. It had a great big chunk missing out of it. AND $50, you got one heck of a deal if it's internals are OK. I payed about 15 times that much for my NOS C72 and about 6 times that much for my auger C72.

Ahhh. You must be talking about the carburetor deflector. Yeh, I usually just take them off and set them aside to if I ever decide to put them back on. Honestly they don't kill power on these saws too much, but they do kill it down some. Just remember if you take it off to retune your saws high jet.

...that's what I figured. I'm gonna take it off. ...And, yes, the internals seem just fine! It seems to have very good compression. Although, I haven't put a gage on it yet.

Is there any way to find out what year this saw was made? Is there anywhere to look up the serial number? ...or even somewhere to find an IPL?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back