Huberd's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMBetz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried Huberd's Shoe Grease for their boots? Does it work better than Sno-Seal or other wax treatments for waterproofing leather?

CB

Christian...I have a few guys that use it...some like it..some dont...sells for about 6 bucks here...

Huberds Shoe Grease

" The beeswax treatment is known for its superior ability to waterproof and preserve leather. It is specially formulated to condituion and restore oil-tanned work boots and sports gear. This product contains no animal fats or solvents. Huberd's time-tested compound remains apart in its unique effectiveness to renew leather and extend the comfort and life of boots."

From their propaganda.....

It is not as good as Sno Seal, which is pretty good...but...

I use Obernauf's Leather Preservative, it is great stuff. It includes beeswax, and propolis.

Oops, Dennis, I'm wrong, if it also has beeswax. Actually, I dont think I ever used Huberd's.

Is the beeswax the key? I've never had any luck with my Redwing hunting boots and Sno-Seal. I'm guessing because the oil-tanned leather and the wax repel one another. It doesn't make sense, because the chemistry of natural waxes is similar to those of the vegetable oils used in tanning. They should work well together. But, they don't in my experience.

Does Huberd's make a decent waterproof finish only, or can I use it as a conditioner, too, after cleaning my boots?

CB

Last edited:
Montana Pine pitch

Here's a product I found that is great and it has all natural sent for hunting to boot

http://www.mtpitchblend.com/

To apply I put an even coat on my boots and then warm them with a hairdryer and it just melts right in.

Where do you find Huberds nowadays? I used to use that stuff on my baseball gloves and work boots 30 years ago, and my kid is still using one of my ball gloves. If I remember correctly, it wasn't the best waterproofing, but it was great at extending the life of the leather and at preventing it from cracking. Anybody know where I can get the stuff mail-order?

John C.

Back