HUGE PINE TREE - Need it gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to sound nasty, but someone is full of crap! I just Googled two portable mill companies, Woodmizer and Hudson. The Woodmizer will take up to 45" and the Hudson will take up to 52", and these are portable mills that tow behind a pick up truck. Real mills take big wood, they like big wood. If you look at the scrap they leave after logging a big wood lot the stuff they leave is 20". As has been aluded to, they know someone is looking to get a couple thousand dollars worth of tree work done for free. On the East Coast where hard woods are plentifull you probably couldn't pay someone to haul away a big pine. That is unless that's what they do for a living, and they are going to charge about $85 per man hour. We had a 5 acre lot in the country where we dumped our chips and wood. We probably had a good acre of Pine, Willow, and any other non saleable wood that just rotted for years. That was almost 30 years ago and all that wood and chips is pretty much gone. The thick black soil that is left is great for planting, but it took 30 years to make, Joe.

Here is one of ten that ended up 800 for the whole ten trees all large timber 100 plus feet tall!

001-4.jpg

R&S, that tree is probably 30" up there where you are, and you're probaly 70' up just guessing by the pic, Joe.

Hate to sound nasty, but someone is full of crap! I just Googled two portable mill companies, Woodmizer and Hudson. The Woodmizer will take up to 45" and the Hudson will take up to 52", and these are portable mills that tow behind a pick up truck. Real mills take big wood, they like big wood. If you look at the scrap they leave after logging a big wood lot the stuff they leave is 20". As has been aluded to, they know someone is looking to get a couple thousand dollars worth of tree work done for free. On the East Coast where hard woods are plentifull you probably couldn't pay someone to haul away a big pine. That is unless that's what they do for a living, and they are going to charge about $85 per man hour. We had a 5 acre lot in the country where we dumped our chips and wood. We probably had a good acre of Pine, Willow, and any other non saleable wood that just rotted for years. That was almost 30 years ago and all that wood and chips is pretty much gone. The thick black soil that is left is great for planting, but it took 30 years to make, Joe.

Yes, somebody is definatly full of of something.:cheers:

As I said, the value of the wood is around $800.

The local mills won't take it because it's larger than their equipment will handle.
The wood yard foreman is 100% trusted longtime friend, so the "runaround" is not viable either.

It has #### to do with being a "yard tree".
It's neighbors were sold and processed last year with no problems or concerns.

I have no problem cutting it.
Won't be the first or the last. I just don't have any way of loading or hauling it.
I just hate to see it wasted when it's such good clear lumber.

My concern is that it would just be a rotting log for the next few years if nobody comes for it and we don't use it for firewood.
But that's not a problem either, since having it laying there wouldn't bother anyone in the least.
(way out in the country with nearest neighbor 1/4 mile away)

No way I'm paying some guy $500 to cut and leave laying what I can cut myself.
(and they would NOT get to haul it off if I have to pay them)

I'll just section and split it for wood heater before I waste that kind of money.

Thanks anyway.
I was referred here by some folks that live in NorthWest part of country where this is a tiny tree and a simple job.

The local mills won't take it because it's larger than their equipment will handle.
The wood yard foreman is 100% trusted longtime friend, so the "runaround" is not viable either.

Won't be the first or the last.
I just don't have any way of loading or hauling it.

My concern is that it would just be a rotting log for the next few years if nobody comes for it and we don't use it for firewood.
But that's not a problem either, since having it laying there wouldn't bother anyone in the least.

I'll just section and split it for wood heater before I waste that kind of money.

Thanks anyway.
I was referred here by some folks that live in NorthWest part of country where this is a tiny tree and a simple job.
If you are experienced in felling trees in tight spaces, Go for it..........But if you're not,Be sure to post the pics.

Last edited:

Won't be the first or the last. I just don't have any way of loading or hauling it.

Thanks anyway.

Tell you what,here is the truth go ahead and cut your tree if you think you can. I would say mere felling a tree should be less than 500 if it can be felled safely and many people believe too many can. I have been to several proposals that the home owner thought could be felled only to have to explain why they could not be felled. Some home owners love to down play the job because they are not the responsible party. I usually have my minimum to meet and setting a rope with the big shot and felling a tree that is ok to fell is 100 to 150 but I will not do something physco to save you money. I have told many homeowners why a tree could not be safely felled and gave my price to piece down and then fell spar only to have them roll their eyes and act like nerds. I have also went back to see them on roofs in pools etc with that same home owner running his mouth about the poor sucka that listened to home owner logic.

When you get someone to pay you $800 for it, let us know.

Until then, the value is zero.

The OP mentioned in his initial post that the tree could be taken away at no charge, free. It sounds like he would even cut it down, just as long as someone would like to take it away to do whatever they wished, as long as it wouldn't sit and rot.

Or did I miss something?

:confused:

The OP mentioned in his initial post that the tree could be taken away at no charge, free. It sounds like he would even cut it down, just as long as someone would like to take it away to do whatever they wished, as long as it wouldn't sit and rot.

Or did I miss something?

Yup you missed that he believes it to be worth 800 which is no where near the truth it would take more than ten the size mentioned for that. Also he is talking about cutting in proximity of house and powerlines while relying on stiff breze as a plan to fell:dizzy: Hope his ho ins is up to date:laugh:

medicineman,

Why do you want these trees gone? If they are in such good shape why not let em grow?

You other guys be nice now okay?

i had a guy call me one time and asked for a tree ESTIMATE!! walked me around his property for like 30 minutes showing me like 15-20 trees he wants removed im thinking JACKPOT!!! he asked me if i was insured and as soon as i said yes he said well you got the job. then i said ill get you an estimate he says i thought you would want the wood isnt it worth alot of money$$:cry: i drove an hour and 10 min to look at this. then he couldnt understand why i wouldnt cut them down and sell them for firewood or something. gotta be freaking kidding me.:monkey:

Or did I miss something?

Yes, you are CORRECT.

The THREE I am going to get rid of are all FREE to anyone who wants them.
I don't NEED the wood, but will use it if I have no other choice.

There's $800 in FIREWOOD there, not to mention the board feet.

Yep, I'm one of the A-Holes who won't pay a man to cut the tree, and then let them take it to the mill and profit from it.

The other (I was corrected by wife) 30 trees cut out of the same exact "yard" brought in almost $7000 to the guy who came and got them.
She has the copies of the checks from the yard since they were made out to HER rather than the cutter.

His truck and loader device wouldn't load this one log so he didn't cut it.
"Too Big" is relative it seems.

The biggest BS I have heard is that the tree is too big for the mills.
Why would they make a change that eliminated the larger "old growth" and limited them to the small stuff??
Somebody had an idea they should've let pass right on by.

I've cut many trees, but mostly hauled the logs for years.
My buds are quite capable.
Just place that soda can where you want them to squash it into the dirt and watch the show.

Not "arborists", but they do still cut about 50 to 100 trees a day professionally.

If I don't feel comfortable, I'll call them, the EXPERTS, to lay it where I want it.

I feel this discussion has given me all I will glean from it.
Thank you for your replies, and have a good week.

Delusions are really thick here, and dreams die hard.

medicineman,

Why do you want these trees gone? If they are in such good shape why not let em grow?

This thread is like time traveling back to the days of Paul Bunyan.

Last edited:
Yes, you are CORRECT.

Yep, I'm one of the A-Holes who won't pay a man to cut the tree, and then let them take it to the mill and profit from it.

The other (I was corrected by wife) 30 trees cut out of the same exact "yard" brought in almost $7000 to the guy who came and got them.
She has the copies of the checks from the yard since they were made out to HER rather than the cutter.

Why would they make a change that eliminated the larger "old growth" and limited them to the small stuff??

Just place that soda can where you want them to squash it into the dirt and watch the show.

Not "arborists", but they do still cut about 50 to 100 trees a day professionally.

If I don't feel comfortable, I'll call them, the EXPERTS, to lay it where I want it.

Its all lies... except for one part you got right.

Yes, you are CORRECT.

Ok if pine were considered to be firewood a 30" excurrant species would be about a cord and a half or 225.00 cut split and delivered. Pine is not good firewood however so your figures on the tree and its value are grossly over rated. This is a common misconception many home owners have; that tree is barely worth a 100.00 and until you learn that reality, you can not form an educated decision.
PS: there is something besides soda in them cans imho.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back