Humboldt vs. Conventional

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've worked in the Idaho woods for the last 30 years, only on ground based skidding crews. Low stumps are necessary. My personal preference is conventional uphill, and humbolt downhill. I also run half wrap handlebars, and ain't scared to use the top of my bar.

The mills near my residence, dont want anything over 28" diameter in pine, fir, larch, etc. One cedar mill is 28", the other is 33" max. If willing to haul logs 120+ miles, there is one outfit that takes up to 54".
High stumps do have a place,.. like in the above video, where it holds something (decks, trees, equipment, or brush) from rolling down the hill,. The inside corner of a skid trail is also a good place for a high stump. Other than those exceptions they usually cause problems with breaking wood, and equipment.
I wonder if the tree in the above video even had boards in it? Looked like a good wildlife tree to me.

The mills near my residence, dont want anything over 28" diameter in pine, fir, larch, etc. One cedar mill is 28", the other is 33" max. If willing to haul logs 120+ miles, there is one outfit that takes up to 54".
High stumps do have a place,.. like in the above video, where it holds something (decks, trees, equipment, or brush) from rolling down the hill,. The inside corner of a skid trail is also a good place for a high stump. Other than those exceptions they usually cause problems with breaking wood, and equipment.
I wonder if the tree in the above video even had boards in it? Looked like a good wildlife tree to me.
Pretty much the same here with the mills, and I can see that sometimes stumps on a hill side can be used to keep stuff from rolling down into the pits :) The one mill I sell to most won't take over 32" as well. I really love the Bjarne Butler video's , a view into a world I will never have the opportunity to experience. Not much translates to my woods & work but that's not what I'm looking for when watching his or Buckin's or any of those. They are entertainment. The one channel that DOES creep into my world is the "Good Fellers" Veneer focused logging. He does spur cuts and I have as well, he's just a lot more efficient :) I'm old. THE one thing that dawned on me today while working was he will cut some of the root flares while felling but mostly after the tree is down. That is time as well. I cut MOST of the root flares in the felling operation. So he cleans them after, I usually don't have much left to clean up. Maybe the TOTAL" time isn't as much different but it LOOKS that way on the video's. I'll drop a pic of what I was in cutting today :) ( Husqvarna 572 with 28 inch B&C )MapleWithFlates.jpg

I also find it entertaining to watch the multitude of techniques loggers implement in different regions. Heck, even in my area, most crews have their own way of doing things a little different than others in the same region.

I'm getting old also, and out of practice behind a hand operated chainsaw. I started felling trees as a career 30+ years ago in Idaho, but about 14 years back I took a job running a dangle head. The only hand falling I've been doing is left after a buncher gets done. Creeks, wedging, and cliffs, ain't no fun, and is nothing like falling a whole strip.

My employer retired this spring. With more free time on my hands I've been restoring my old collection of 046's, and 066's, also been doing a little sanitary logging on my place, and also my folks place. If you have any interest in mechanical logging? I've got some vids up on the tube, under Smooth Operator.

My employer retired this spring. With more free time on my hands I've been restoring my old collection of 046's, and 066's, also been doing a little sanitary logging on my place, and also my folks place. If you have any interest in mechanical logging? I've got some vids up on the tube, under Smooth Operator.
Think I found the channel....boats too :)

Bjarne Butler knows what's up. I know of an 80" multi-top burnt-ass snag close to 200' tall in a common gathering place which is far too rotten to cut (or I would have long ago) that the landowner won't commit to falling via explosives. I did get them to move a row of a dozen or so porta-potties from under it awhile back. This is where I used to work, IYKYK.

Seems like a waste of a tree. Would've been better left standing.
It's a danger/hazard tree. Leave it up and folks can't work around it for some distance. In Warshington, trees with dead tops are frequently put on the ground in logging units. Snags, spike tops, leaners--they are not considered to be safe to work around. And this beast was near a busy road. It kind of exploded without using any explosives.
bigsnagstump10001.JPG

It's a danger/hazard tree. Leave it up and folks can't work around it for some distance. In Warshington, trees with dead tops are frequently put on the ground in logging units. Snags, spike tops, leaners--they are not considered to be safe to work around. And this beast was near a busy road. It kind of exploded without using any explosives.
View attachment 1146808

Not being able to see its top or branches, nor a great shot in relation to the trees/work-zone below it, I find it hard to assume it's a hazard tree. Maybe it is, sure. Outfits also like to call old/ancient growth trees hazard trees to try to get the wood out of them because an RPF wouldn't allow it to be cut.

With it being dropped with explosives, not going to get much out of it other than toothpicks or matchsticks.

Is there still a Diamond Match company?

"It kind of exploded without using any explosives."

No explosives. Crumbler. Seen a few trees twist and collapse in on themselves. Cool if you're not standing underneath it. Seen a few rotten snags do the same.

"It kind of exploded without using any explosives."

No explosives. Crumbler. Seen a few trees twist and collapse in on themselves. Cool if you're not standing underneath it. Seen a few rotten snags do the same.
I think we must have watched different videos.

Added Edit: Ahhh, I see the issue. I was commenting based on the video you were quoting before my post, not based on the stump photo.

Latest posts

Back