(humor)you know you've hired the wrong tree service when??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrong "tree service"

You know it is definately the wrong company when on their truck the logo reads as follows:
Big Bobs Tree Service % Roofing
also speciallizing in fence repair, brick and concrete work, and pool repair!

I actually saw a sign similar to that in NC on a hurricane project, we got the biggest laugh out of it.

You know you've hired the wrong company when the lights go out in the neighborhood, and you see the crew packing up faster than they have worked all day to get out before the cops show.

You know you've hired the wrong tree service when they come to the door with a chain over their shoulder to request that you help them move their bucket truck to the next tree with your tractor.

It was a gleeful giggle when I heard the story.....I'd looked at the job, then declined to bid for a cheap local guy cause I knew he'd never agree to my price.

easy now....

you know you have hired the wrong tree service when they ask to borrow you "wild thing" to finish the job......

You know it is definately the wrong company when on their truck the logo reads as follows:
Big Bobs Tree Service % Roofing
also speciallizing in fence repair, brick and concrete work, and pool repair!

I actually saw a sign similar to that in NC on a hurricane project, we got the biggest laugh out of it.
wasn't in Greensboro was it, sounds like a guy here, jack of all trades, master of none....lol....

Maybe I'm just weird, but I think I this thread has some great material for an advertising brochure.

:hmm3grin2orange:

That one in Canada a few months ago;

When they are hired to cut down two windthrows; then end up cutting down a half acre of mature trees.

One happend with a big cottonwood one of my clients bid on - The guy showed up with a pickup and JD lawn tractor; tried to have his GF pull him up to the first crotch, where he got stuck for an hour.

The buddy who got him down left his 40ft ladder and skedaddled. Homer then decides to notch out one of the tops of this 90+ft tree are around 35ft...while standing on a board he screwed into the trunk...allegedly w.o tie-in....

With this cut and another one he busted up some five other trees, including toasting a nice 40ft columnar juniper, backed up a creek running under the tree, which cause the condo's paring lot to flood......

Oh and when he got fired...he wanted full payment :laugh:

Last edited:
You know you've hired the wrong tree service when they drop the first spar of the day then the whole crew plops down on it and gathers around the climber who just fired up a doobie right in front of your rear bay window (true story told to me my a customer).

On the bucket truck theme,

Had a good, long term client who I had to take two trees off of her house after an ice storm. Had a 64 ton crane on the job and was working the neighborhood with it. The neighboring house had a large tree on the roof in the back yard. Would have been no problem to swing the boom over and remove it from right where we had set up. House was unoccupied and the owner was an investor who lived in CA.

Tried to talk to the older couple that lived next door and were the care takers but they would not open the door and talk to me while I had the crane on site even though I had my client, their neighbor with me. I tried to explain that I could save them several hundred dollars if I could get the go ahead to do the tree on the house while I had the crane on site. They didn't want to open the door and talk about it. They were elderly and pretty freaked out by the destruction so I couldn't blame them.

A week later I get a call back to come give an estimate on the tree. I am swamped with work, booked for the foreseeable future and my price has now gone up considerably from what it would have been while I was on site with the crane. The old guy didn't like my price and says he's got a cheaper bid. I tell him no problem, I am busier than I want to be and my prices are not negotiable. I wish him luck and move on.

Turns out an out of state bucket jockey told him he can do the job for half the price I gave him. Only problem is he has to access through my clients yard, which she refuses. She was not about to let the guy drive his bucket truck into her yard and set up. Especially after we had been so careful to set pads under the outriggers and not do any damage to the yard.

When I go back to chip brush a month later because the city is dragging their feet and my client wants the brush in front of her house gone the tree is still on the house. It has been nipped at where the guy could reach from the street but most of the tree is still on the house. Turns out the out of state bucket jockey took the money and ran. The old guy wants me to give him a revised price to remove the rest of the tree (which would have been my same original price) but by this time I am perturbed by how the whole situation worked out and decline.

Something must have spooked them, maybe all these stories we are telling. Sad though when you are on the up and up telling it like it is and they won't give you the time of day.
I guess that is the way it is. I'll bet right now , somewhere, there is a car mechanic forum with this same thread going on. I blame the consumer, I mean who would pay first? Well? Yeah, there is your answer.

you know you hired the wrong tree company when the contractor leaves a $75 rope hanging in the tree (top is out), and still hasn't come back three weeks after you paid him for the whole job...

then his brother, who also runs a tree service and is the guy you thought you had hired, knocks on your door and asks about the rope hanging in the tree..

True story told to me by the brother...

back when I used to use "black hands billy" (same guy) for some bucket work, we were eating lunch and he jumped in his chair like he had seen a ghost, and stood up abruptly without saying a word, and leaves the resturaunt..

then a minute later a woman comes over and says, I know that was Billy ###### and he was supposed to come back and install that $300 cable we paid him for, before he disappeared..

She hired the wrong tree service too...

Funny thing is Billy had been doing meditiation, TM for like 25 years back then..

one time I asked him had he ever considerred applying the same universal principles that are taught in TM to business.. and he asked with a straight face "why would I want to do that?"

I don't do much biz with him these days... did drop a dead pine in an etrememly tight LZ for him last year... tree was 100'+.. got paid $40.. now he hired the right tree service..

You know you hired the wrong tree service...

1. When they they turn up the night before to dance naked around a campfire and sacrifice chickens too the tree gods!

2. The foreman waits on the corner to meet a seedy looking guy to buy 'breakfast' for the boys.

3. They show you the certificate of currency for their 'Insurence'.

4. They play scissors-paper-rock to see who will climb the tree.

5. They propose to grind the stump before felling the tree to save time!

So this Blueridgemark dude decides he should send me a neg-rep for supossedly hi-jacking this thread with my comment about Dhhlakebounds web site.
He says to me something about how it was wrong for the purpose of personal communications.
I guess he has his problem, I know I have mine but still.

First of all I have to ask this: Who the #### is he to reprimand me? That , of course, is rheatorical. He's nobody to do so and that is what is bothering me the most.
Second: Does anybody else really care I did so?
Third: You know I just noticed Dhhlakebounds website at that moment and was so impressed by it I felt I had to let him and everybody else know about right then and there. So you see the " personal communication" things has no bearing anyway.
Fourth: Where does BRM think a thread like this is headed anyway? Yeah ya jackass, think about it, think about it all.

It might seem I am hi-jacking this thread right now but I assure everyone I am more bent up over this than anyone else. Mainly, like I said, its the fact that this guy thinks he is one to reprimand me like some school marm and fling some neg- rep at me in a form of punishment. Like this guy is going to tell me about the rules?
If it was his intention to direct me in the proper method of posting on this site he has misarable failed but if it was his intention to irritate me then he has suceded.
What? Does this guy walk a perfect line anyway? Not that it would matter to me if he did but to even suggest that he feels he should open up his yap and dole out to me a spanking is just to ludicrous.
All I have to say to BRM is ," Don't bother me again"

Thank you all for your patience and you now can return to your normally posted thread.

Last edited:
when a tree falls on the truck because the guy wanted to listen to the radio. i heard that the insurance company wouldn't't pay for the damage.

If all of the company's are quoting $14500-$21000 to do a huge job and another company comes in at $4000 you don't want to hire the $4000 company. (boss told me that one) He had a funny name for the company but i don't want to offend anybody.

when the climber uses spikes for a (pruning) job.

When you call the "tree guy" on Monday at noon and he sounds likes hes drunk.

1. When they they turn up the night before to dance naked around a campfire and sacrifice chickens too the tree gods!

2. The foreman waits on the corner to meet a seedy looking guy to buy 'breakfast' for the boys.

3. They show you the certificate of currency for their 'Insurence'.

4. They play scissors-paper-rock to see who will climb the tree.

5. They propose to grind the stump before felling the tree to save time!

Too funny!

So this Blueridgemark dude decides he should send me a neg-rep for supossedly hi-jacking this thread with my comment about Dhhlakebounds web site.
He says to me something about how it was wrong for the purpose of personal communications.
I guess he has his problem, I know I have mine but still.

First of all I have to ask this: Who the #### is he to reprimand me? That , of course, is rheatorical. He's nobody to do so and that is what is bothering me the most.
Second: Does anybody else really care I did so?
Third: You know I just noticed Dhhlakebounds website at that moment and was so impressed by it I felt I had to let him and everybody else know about right then and there. So you see the " personal communication" things has no bearing anyway.
Fourth: Where does BRM think a thread like this is headed anyway? Yeah ya jackass, think about it, think about it all.

It might seem I am hi-jacking this thread right now but I assure everyone I am more bent up over this than anyone else. Mainly, like I said, its the fact that this guy thinks he is one to reprimand me like some school marm and fling some neg- rep at me in a form of punishment. Like this guy is going to tell me about the rules?
If it was his intention to direct me in the proper method of posting on this site he has misarable failed but if it was his intention to irritate me then he has suceded.
What? Does this guy walk a perfect line anyway? Not that it would matter to me if he did but to even suggest that he feels he should open up his yap and dole out to me a spanking is just to ludicrous.
All I have to say to BRM is ," Don't bother me again"

Thank you all for your patience and you now can return to your normally posted thread.

Sorry you got negged on my account....I tried to + ya, but apparently I don't give out enough rep...

Just for the record, I appreciated your comment, and thought it's placement was fine....

I did find it ironic that a telecommunications guy is telling a commercial tree guy in the commercial tree forum what the topic should be....especially when the commercial tree guy is commenting about another commercial tree guy's website in a joke thread about tree services.

Did you notice somebody commented on BRM's profile page bout "bein sorry for goin off topic"? He seems to think he's the forum police.

You know you hired the wrong telecom engineer when they want to tell you how to talk instead of just fixing the damn phone.

wee oo, wee oo, wee oo

Careful DDH, you could be next.

I was talking to a guy who got neg repped and reported for posting a comic strip - get this - in the joke and funny picture forum.

Telecommunications eh? Explains a lot! Wonder if he has anything to do with 'wecuttrees'?

Last edited:
Back