Huskee 22 ton splitter ($999) VS Powerhorse 20 ton splitter ($949)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I don't own either of these splitters. I know a lot of users swear by the Huskee 22 ton splitter ($999), and I'm sure it's a darn fine machine. However, I've been looking at the Powerhorse 20 ton two way splitter ($949). Seeing that they're both around the same price and force, doesn't it make sense to use a machine that splits in both directions, or am I missing something? What are your thoughts?

Huskee® 22-Ton Log Splitter - 1032822 | Tractor Supply Company

Be sure to watch the video at:
Powerhorse Horizontal Dual Split Log Splitter — 20-Ton, 208cc | Log Splitters | Northern Tool + Equipment

Here's the Powerhorse with a 4 way wedge. The guy seems to be splitting at a pretty decent pace! I think I would prefer this over a kinetic splitter. But that's just me. Powerhorse log splitter with custom made dual 4-way wedge - YouTube

DR makes a dual action 15 ton gas splitter for $1064. You can even get an electric motor to go with it for $300. Now that's kinda slick. I could split in my garage with the electric motor, no noise or fumes, or I could put on the gas motor and take it where ever I needed it. I don't know if 15 tons could handle a 4 way wedge. Watch the videos. http://www.drpower.com/standardcontent.aspx?page=dual_action_splitter_home

Gas to electric conversion kit: http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepModelDetail.aspx?Name=dual_action_conversion_kit&p1Name=dual_action_splitter_home&Page=dual_action_splitter_accessories

Don <><

Last edited:
I cant comment on how any of these splitters work, but have you ever saw the Powerhorse in person? The reason I ask is because I have and it seems like a very small splitter in comparison to the Speeco. It must weigh half what a Speeco does. There is no traditional I-beam as used on most units. Perhaps it splits fine, the wedge isnt overly large, giving the appearance that it may not be suitable for larger diameter wood.

I cant comment on how any of these splitters work, but have you ever saw the Powerhorse in person? The reason I ask is because I have and it seems like a very small splitter in comparison to the Speeco. It must weigh half what a Speeco does. There is no traditional I-beam as used on most units. Perhaps it splits fine, the wedge isnt overly large, giving the appearance that it may not be suitable for larger diameter wood.

You bring up some good points Reaperman. That's why it's good to get lots of opinions. I haven't actually seen either splitter in person, but I know lots of guys in this forum run the Huskee, and they're plenty satisified with it. Powerhorse literature says it can split wood up to 16 inches in diameter. That may be a problem for some. I get my wood from the Nicolet National Forest. By law, I can't take anything larger than 18 inches in diameter. So for me, I think the Powerhorse would work. Husky says it can split "any" diameter wood. The Powerhorse weighs 360 lbs. The Huskee weighs 525 lbs. So there's lots more meat in the Huskee. That could be significant. Powerhorse has a 7 second cycle time, 13 for the Huskee. I haven't ruled out the Huskee, but if I ever get close to a Northern Tool store and get to see one of those Powerhorse puppies, and it looks decent, I might just have to spring for it. But I'll wait to see if I get more opinions on this post. I'd like to hear from a few people who have the Powerhorse 20 ton.

Thanks Reaperman,

Don <><

Last edited:
I have not used one of the 2 way splitters. My question would be, can the operator keep up with the machine in order to take advantage of the maximum cycle time reduction? I know when I split I use the retract time to toss splits to the trailer or hook another round off the pile or out of the bucket. I only use the splitter on the stuff I can't quickly split by hand which means twisty gnarly stuff that needs alot of attention on the splitter, before, during and after being split.
I could see the 2 way for nice straight grained wood that you can roll around the splitter with one hand while tossing splits or rolling a round to the wedge.

Ok, done rambling now...:taped:

I rented one that split both ways about a week ago. it was nice, but to split both ways you would have to really get after it to keep up.

The huskee/speco is a lot faster than my 51 year old azz is. 30 years ago I could keep up but WHY? Imoved furniture for almost 16 years so I had stamina and strength now I have motrin and beer. But I get tired before the splitter does and I can still do a couple of cords a day and not hurt too bad.

genesis 5521

Go with the speeco the build quality is better.

How can you only cut 18" wood?

Huskee is good

I studied this same topic for a while and finally bought the huskee Fri. It cycles fast enough and it will go vertical for the large rounds. The build quality is good. The channel cradles the log well as opposed to a splitter with a flat I-beam. This same feature should help with upkeep in that the wedge travels in the channel without need of several bolts and nuts down each side of the sliding wedge. Good luck.

How can you only cut 18" wood?

Hi Ratso:
I buy the $20 permit to take 4 cords of standing dead and downed trees from the Nicolet National Forest. It says right on the permit that I can not take anything over 18 inches. Even if a really big tree is blown down, I can only take the parts that are 18 inches or less. Most of the stuff I take is 14 inches or less. A few times when I was out cutting, a U.S. Forester found me in the woods and asked to see my permit. That's kinda strange, because the law says it's suppose to be on the dash while harvesting trees, and mine always is. They check to make sure your following "all" the regulations. They check the rounds in my truck. But I don't mind this. I'm glad to see them doing their job. I always get along well with these guys. Got to know one pretty well. I go out in the middle of summer and look for any trees without leaves. I'm no tree expert so that's the only way I can be sure they're dead. In the fall when all the leaves are off all the trees, I look for the blow downs. Some years I'll get a second permit for 4 more cords. I live on a dirt road less than 5 miles from the forest, so I don't have to travel very far to find trees. Ya can't sell any wood ya take from the national forest. It's strictly for personal use. I've enjoyed many a fine day in the national forest harvesting trees. I use a little Stihl MS170 with a 14 inch bar. It's just perfect for this. So light and maneuverable.

Don <><

I just got a ms 170 yesterday and am anxious to use it tomorrow or monday!

Hi Ed:
If your 170 is half as good as mine, you're gonna luv it. Bought my little 170 brand new 7 years ago for $150. It's the only saw I own. I run a 14" bar and have run the snot out of it. It's been reliable as dirt. I cut 10 full cords a year to heat my house. Cut a good 50 cords with it so far. The 170 is just so light and maneuverable. It's a pure pleasure to use. It ain't a big saw so don't expect it to bury ya in sawdust. Just take your time with it and keep your chains sharp. I touch them up with a file every few tanks of gas. I have 5 chains, all the same. When 3 are dulled up pretty good, I sharpen them real good, and still have 2 left to cut with. Mine's done everything I've ever ask of it. Cut a few 24" plus trees with it, but 70% of the stuff I cut is under 14 inches. One summer I used it to buck a full 12 cords of logs I had delivered. Just last week the chain oiler pooped out. No big deal. I'll get it fixed. But I'm looking to get a new MS250, and use the 170 as a backup. Umm ~ on second thought, maybe the 250 will be the backup !

Enjoy your new toy ~ er tool.

Don <><

Last edited:
I Like to buy american when ever possible.

That's Why I just picked up a 22 ton huskee yesterday.

Plus You need to add about $ 200 to the power house for shipping.

I Like to buy american when ever possible.

That's Why I just picked up a 22 ton huskee yesterday.

Plus You need to add about $ 200 to the power house for shipping.

Hi Genius:
Congrats on your new splitter. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it. I haven't ruled one out for myself. Hope you'll give us an indepth review on it. Both the Huskee and the Powerhorse are made in America. If I got the Powerhorse, I would pick it up at their store so there would be no shipping cost. Speaking of made in America, I just bought a Dodge Ram 1500 truck. Sticker on it say "Assembled in Mexico". It's a crying shame.

Don <><

Last edited:
Hi Genius:
Congrats on your new splitter. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it. I haven't ruled one out for myself. Both the Huskee and the Powerhorse are made in America. If I got the Powerhorse, I would pick it up at their store so there would be no shipping cost. Speaking of made in America, I just bought a Dodge Ram 1500 truck. Sticker on it say "Assembled in Mexico". It's a crying shame.

Don <><

I dont want to get into a "made in America" battle, but I think you will find the Powerhorse may be assembled in America with Chinese parts. The engine is definitely from China, and I'd bet the cylinder is also chinese. I have a Northen tool splitter, the red 22 ton model, which the salesman told me was too made in America. I had to point out the made in China sticker on the cylinder. And blew him away when I brought my splitter back for a replacement after I had just finished assembling mine. I was just about to add the hydro fluid to the tank when I noticed some paper in the hydro tank itself. I fished the paper out with my little grabber tool and it looked like a piece of chinese newspaper. I showed him the paper and he didnt believe that it came from the tank. Luckiky I brought my grabber tool to the store when I was returning the splitter. I put it back into the tank and fished out another piece right before his eyes. He said he was always told the splitters are american made. Assembled in America, yes, American parts, some may be and some aren't.

Whatever splitter you decide on, it is a good idea to go and see the splitters in person before buying. A few bucks in gas is better than having a unit your not happy with for many years.

I dont want to get into a "made in America" battle, but I think you will find the Powerhorse may be assembled in America with Chinese parts. The engine is definitely from China, and I'd bet the cylinder is also chinese. I have a Northen tool splitter, the red 22 ton model, which the salesman told me was too made in America. I had to point out the made in China sticker on the cylinder. And blew him away when I brought my splitter back for a replacement after I had just finished assembling mine. I was just about to add the hydro fluid to the tank when I noticed some paper in the hydro tank itself. I fished the paper out with my little grabber tool and it looked like a piece of chinese newspaper. I showed him the paper and he didnt believe that it came from the tank. Luckiky I brought my grabber tool to the store when I was returning the splitter. I put it back into the tank and fished out another piece right before his eyes. He said he was always told the splitters are american made. Assembled in America, yes, American parts, some may be and some aren't.

Whatever splitter you decide on, it is a good idea to go and see the splitters in person before buying. A few bucks in gas is better than having a unit your not happy with for many years.

Again, you bring up some good points Reaperman. Northerntool isn't exactly known for offering quality products. Some are good, and some are junk. I went by the website tag on the Powerhorse that said "Made in America".

I'm looking right now at the Northerntool website on your 22 ton splitter. It says it has a Honda GC motor. Is this another Chinese knock-off?
NorthStar Horizontal/Vertical Log Splitter — 22-Ton, 160cc | Log Splitters | Northern Tool + Equipment

Did you end up keeping it, or did you get a refund? If you kept it, how about reviewing it for us.

Don <><

speeco woodsplitter

Don you will be happy with one. I have one that is 17 years old.I needed a check valve and the nearest dealer. was 2 hours away speeco sent me a valve no charge 7 years ago.They did not need to but did great customer service on a product that had no warranty.

Hi Ratso:
I buy the $20 permit to take 4 cords of standing dead and downed trees from the Nicolet National Forest. It says right on the permit that I can not take anything over 18 inches. Even if a really big tree is blown down, I can only take the parts that are 18 inches or less. Most of the stuff I take is 14 inches or less. A few times when I was out cutting, a U.S. Forester found me in the woods and asked to see my permit. That's kinda strange, because the law says it's suppose to be on the dash while harvesting trees, and mine always is. They check to make sure your following "all" the regulations. They check the rounds in my truck. But I don't mind this. I'm glad to see them doing their job. I always get along well with these guys. Got to know one pretty well. I go out in the middle of summer and look for any trees without leaves. I'm no tree expert so that's the only way I can be sure they're dead. In the fall when all the leaves are off all the trees, I look for the blow downs. Some years I'll get a second permit for 4 more cords. I live on a dirt road less than 5 miles from the forest, so I don't have to travel very far to find trees. Ya can't sell any wood ya take from the national forest. It's strictly for personal use. I've enjoyed many a fine day in the national forest harvesting trees. I use a little Stihl MS170 with a 14 inch bar. It's just perfect for this. So light and maneuverable.

Don <><

Sounds like there is a little too much fat in our government if a guy is wandering around the woods driving a brand new 4x4 checking on your permits and the size of the wood you cut. Abolishing the EPA is a good idea.

Back