Huskee 22 ton woodspliter questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orion2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have some questions about this machine. I have been using the heck out it since I got it. The first thing I noticed it did not lock in the vertical position, a rachet strap took care of that problem. I just hooked to the side of the beam near the bottom and crossed under the frame and hook on the pin that locks the beam down. It may be too much pressure so I plan to hook on the the safety chains next time. I was disappointed that it did not lock in the vertical position but that can be fixed. Has anyone else done anything to make this splitter lock up right.

Next the foot on the splitter is small I did use two by fours under the front of the big rounds to get them far enough back in to get a good bite. Has anyone ever welded a larger foot on to this splitter and would it be good to have abit of slope to help the splitter get a good bite on the logs? It does have a two inch clearance before the wedge gets to the foot.(stop plate) This seems like alot of safety and I have been splitting lots of stringy cotton wood so it requires a maul assist most of the time.

Has anyone noticed the the pump whines at a high pitch all the time? I am running ATF transmission fluid. I was wondering if the filter is not letting enough fluid get to the pump? Has anyone ever moved the filter to the other side of the pump?I Does this splitter really even need a filter?I have been running it in the cold but letting it warm up. I also had to tighten all the fittings and I am not getting bubbles in the fluid anymore. This splitter does not have a way to drain the fluid without undoing one of the pipe fittings. Has anyone added a drain value or plug, if so how?

Easy question should I grease or lube the beam track or just leave the way it is?

Lastly, I was reading that this splitter uses a splash system for the oil and the splitter needs to be run at full speeds at all times to get the proper lubercation is this true?
Thanks for any help or suggestions

Last edited:
Iv'e got the Speeco, I think they're the same. mine has whined since I got it, and thats with hyd. fluid. I don't think it's anything bad, just a noisy pump.

I wish I had the ears to hear the hydraulic pump running, over the engine.Lol

My wife thought I was being smart azz saying I wish' I could hear the pump over the engine, But I though if I heard the pump over the engine something must be wrong. I told her I was getting old and just can't hear. But She's watching me.

My splitter doesn't lock in the vertical position either. That might be engineered that way because--at lest where I always seem to be--the ground is never level. Here's a pic of mine. Don't worry: just run that puppy and when it breaks, fix it or buy another one. Think about all the money that thing has and will save you for free firewood.

Pump noise

Hi folks,

I have an electric motor with my splitter, (electric powered Ramsplitter) and so I hear is the pump very clearly. Mine does make have a surprising amount of noise, sort of a throbbing whine. I think there was a post where another similar splitter user used ear protection, even with the electric motor, because of this.

An old mechanics trick is to use a dowel, or similar piece of wood, placing one end on the motor case, and the other in one's hear to hear listen to bearing sounds, (sort of a "whish"), piston knocks, etc. It works surprisingly well. On my pump, when I was trying to sort out the noises, I could clearly hear smooth bearings, and the whine came from the impulse of the gear pushing the oil.

I am not sure, but I would think that this would also work on a gas engine.

For what it is worth.....

Dave Howell

I have a spee co 25 ton about the same as yours. I agree the foot plate is too small. I too have either out bark, 2x4's other pieces of wood whatever I can find under very large rounds to get them to sit level. Its a pain the behind. I find myself ripping most anything I cant lift, cause trying to lift them put bark etc under them is such a pain. You spend more time messing around with the big pieces, you could do 20 smaller logs in the same time. I asked about welding some extensions onto the splitter and was told that woudl void the warrenty and also, I think then it would be too heavy at the toe. Leave the beam dry

I haven't ever heard the pump whine but my hearing isn't the best either.

I haven't lubed anything on mine since I got it several years ago. I just change oil in the engine.

I run mine wide open all of the time.

View attachment 92439

View attachment 92440

View attachment 92441

View attachment 92442

I have a 27t huskee, the pic shows 20t but thats because I bent the first one & a 20 was all TSC had on hand to replace it.
The beam dosnt seem to need a lock in the vertical position.

I added 2" to the foot & made a new taller wedge so when I split those rounds about 16" I can keep both halves together & roll them 1/4 turn, then split both halves on the next stroke. Couldnt do that with the shorter foot. But it puts more stress on the beam.
Dont move the filter. Its wont take the pressure on the other side of the pump,it has a bypass in the mount anyway and I would guess only about 10% of the oil gets filtered.
I dump gear oil on the beam once in a while.

And yes I added a drain. When I changed oil I took it down to just the tank,
turned it upside down and drilled a hole in the bottom,filled it with water & welded on a pipe coupling with a pipe plug. Unhook the hose to the pump so you dont get water in it .Then I added a shut off valve between the tank & filter,so if I snag the hose on something in the woods I can keep from losing all the oil. While I was at it & the tank full of water I took off the little wheels that dont roll very easy & welded on spindles for larger wheels.If you do this you need to make sure you keep the splitter height the same so the beam will sit right in the vertical position. And make sure you dry the tank out & flush out the metal from drilling befor you refill with oil. I have also upgraded the hitch, mine came with a flimsy 3" channel & cheap foot on the end. I made it like the new ones with the 3" tube, & I put handles on to make it easier to lift & move around.
Hope this helps some.

Thanks for the replies, I really like the work David did on his splitter, the larger foot plate would make it work so much better. I also, think the front tongue stand just plain sucks what a wimpy thing, I would have been ashamed to mfg something that cheap looking, I knew when I bought it that it would need to be replaced someday.

Then comes the drain plug but if I only change hydro fluid once a year I can live without it for a while, I do not have the knowledge or skills to make the changes mainly have never welded anything. So I will need to take to a metal shop someday, I plan to save the pictures to have an idea when the time comes. Cash is tight right now, I have twin four year old sons and we decided it was more important for mom to be home than have two incomes so in two or three years hopefully I have more extra cash.

Jdman, I used 2 x 4 and then pounded a wedge under the two by four to get the large logs up to where the wedge could get a solid bite on the log. I have been thinking about getting some short pieces of metal pipes that would raise the log but then you could move the log around easier. I do not care about voiding the warranty, It is just me but I never had any luck with warranty work. I just want to make it work better. I will probably take A. Stranton's advice just run the heck out the thing, my first year with a 4400 woodmaster OWB and used about 10 full cords of wood, that means I need twenty cords to get ahead of the game so I will be working hard this summer until bowhunting starts.

20 ton Huskee logsplitter with a larger foot.

Here is a picture of an older 20 ton Huskee logsplitter with a larger foot that works great.

It has a 1.25" thick solid plate, 17 3/8" tall, and 12" wide. It is bolted and weld to the I Beam.

My pump whines as well. I almost never use mine in the vertical position. If I can't pick it up I noodle it down to size so I can. I leave the splitter hooked to my truck and throw the wood in as i split it. I like the idea of making the wedge and foot taller to quarter stuff after it is split in half.

I have one day experience with the 22 so I am an expert…

My pump does not make any different noise that any other splitter I have used?

The toe plate is proportional to the size of the beam. If you make it larger you stand a very good chance of bending the beam.

The two inch safety gap on the ram is a little generous. The elm I did I just pulled a little on the side and they broke free

I thought the vertical was a little odd to. I just put a c-clamp on it. I do not plan on using the vertical position much. My back does not like bending over much any more.

If you are doing mostly large rounds you may want to sell your 22 and get something bigger or cut the rounds down. I know a 20” by 23” elm round will start to lift the front of the splitter.

A friend of mine always greases the beam. I feel more “stuff” sticks to the grease. I wipe it down while I am working and hose off at the end of the day.

I always run at full throttle while splitting.

Good luck.

Hi folks,

An old mechanics trick is to use a dowel, or similar piece of wood, placing one end on the motor case, and the other in one's hear to hear listen to bearing sounds, (sort of a "whish"), piston knocks, etc. It works surprisingly well.
Dave Howell
:agree2:Thanks for bringing that up....I have used that on my cars and other equipment...
a regular screwdriver (ear to the handle :) ), 8-12" long works great to, it's amazing so well you can hear every little sound in the whole power line....

Need help Huskee 22 ton logsplitter

I bought mine last fall, I used it for about 6 to 8 hours with no problems.
I pulled it out of the barn last week, went to split some elm and the thing would die out as if it was out of gas, I would give it a couple of pulls and it would start right up.
Have any of you guys experienced the same problems?

Has anyone ever moved the filter to the other side of the pump?I Does this splitter really even need a filter?

move it to the RETURN LINE just before it goes into the tank.

they built many splitter with the filter on the suction line....still don't know why they did this, but the new ones were moved to the return line....where it should be.

you'll be glad you did in the long run.

I bought mine last fall, I used it for about 6 to 8 hours with no problems.
I pulled it out of the barn last week, went to split some elm and the thing would die out as if it was out of gas, I would give it a couple of pulls and it would start right up.
Have any of you guys experienced the same problems?

choke and govenor working right?

According to the briggs & strattion operators manual there is no choke.
It has the primer system.
As for the govenor I’m not sure how to check it.

There is a choke on the Huskee 22 ton 6.5 B&S

According to the briggs & strattion operators manual there is no choke.
It has the primer system.
As for the govenor I’m not sure how to check it.

The choke is activated by moving the red throttle lever from the stop icon to the left past the rabbit icon! Just past the rabbit icon, you will feel a indent (that indent is the choke).

I told speeco technical support that the operators manual needs to be changed to reflect this "UNCLEAR, AMBIGUOUS CHOKE POSITION"!!

Latest posts

Back