Huskee 22 ton woodspliter questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Engine dying out!

I bought mine last fall, I used it for about 6 to 8 hours with no problems.
I pulled it out of the barn last week, went to split some elm and the thing would die out as if it was out of gas, I would give it a couple of pulls and it would start right up.
Have any of you guys experienced the same problems?

Does your auto. return valve end cap have the name "speeco" or "energy" on it??

The choke is activated by moving the red throttle lever from the stop icon to the left past the rabbit icon! Just past the rabbit icon, you will feel a indent (that indent is the choke).

I told speeco technical support that the operators manual needs to be changed to reflect this "UNCLEAR, AMBIGUOUS CHOKE POSITION"!!
I didn't know that. this may be the reason mine uses so much gas at times. anyway thanks and rep

move it to the RETURN LINE just before it goes into the tank.

they built many splitter with the filter on the suction line....still don't know why they did this, but the new ones were moved to the return line....where it should be.

you'll be glad you did in the long run.

I will look at this and see if I can figure it out. I never got much in the way of mechanical skills as a youngster, even got kicked out shop class in school.

Hydraulic filter location

but the new ones were moved to the return line....where it should be.

All 22 ton Huskee log splitters made after August 2008 have the hyd. filter moved to the right side of the splitter (as viewed from the trailer hitch looking at the machine).
This was done to increase pump life per Speeco technical support.

move it to the RETURN LINE just before it goes into the tank.

they built many splitter with the filter on the suction line....still don't know why they did this, but the new ones were moved to the return line....where it should be.

you'll be glad you did in the long run.

How about a pic? If not mistaken the return line is soft ruber because there is not a lot of preasure right?

Thanks k8crd

Does your auto. return valve end cap have the name "speeco" or "energy" on it??

Yes it has energy on it.
I tried it with the throttle lever pulled back a litter, it seems to be ok, I will have to wait until I can get more wood to split. Thanks for your help, I will let you know how it works out.

Last edited:
The choke is activated by moving the red throttle lever from the stop icon to the left past the rabbit icon! Just past the rabbit icon, you will feel a indent (that indent is the choke).

I told speeco technical support that the operators manual needs to be changed to reflect this "UNCLEAR, AMBIGUOUS CHOKE POSITION"!!

My unit does not have a choke just a primer. all of the 22T B&S Speeco splitters that I've seen are like mine. Running the engine on choke would cause the engine to loose rpm's and smoke heavily.

Andyshine77

Mine would die out as if it was out of gas, I would give it a couple of pulls and it would start right up.
Have you experienced the same problem?

Purpose of a choke -

My unit does not have a choke just a primer. all of the 22T B&S Speeco splitters that I've seen are like mine. Running the engine on choke would cause the engine to loose rpm's and smoke heavily.

Engine 101:
The purpose of a choke is to start a cold engine!!!
While would you want to run an engine with the choke on when the engine is started and warmed up????

The indent I mentioned is to turn on the choke to start an engine only, I never said to run an engine continuously with it on. Duh!

Docdryden

The reason I asked if your machine had a speeco valve vs an energy valve was that my friends 22 ton speeco I was borrowing was very hard to start and keep running till I figured out what was wrong.

The auto. return was not functioning and returning back to neutral which was putting a heavy load on the engine and the pump while I was trying to start it.

From talking to Speeco tech. support because of the demand for log splitters speeco outsourced the valve to two new suppliers in addition to Energy. The new suppliers are leaving chips and not making the balls and housing to specification on some units and they are failing.

My friends unit is one month old and is in the repair facility for tsc to get the valve replaced.

I do not think you will have a problem with the Energy valve since it is an American made unit, but it is something you can check in your problem solving mode.

Engine 101:
The purpose of a choke is to start a cold engine!!!
While would you want to run an engine with the choke on when the engine is started and warmed up????

The indent I mentioned is to turn on the choke to start an engine only, I never said to run an engine continuously with it on. Duh!

Yes I know that! I was trying to say that my splitter does not have a choke, and I doubt DocDryden splitter has one, most of the 22T B&S splitters don't.

DocDryden Remove the carb bowl and clean the float, needle and the bowl itself. Make sure the float doesn't have any fuel in it, if it does the float will sink and the needle will not allow enough fuel to enter the carb.

Last edited:
andyshine77

I was trying to say that my splitter does not have a choke, and I doubt DocDryden splitter has one, most of the 22T B&S splitters don't.

The 22 ton Huskee logsplitter with the 6.5 B & S that my friend bought last November 2008 and the one he bought in March 2009 does have a choke that works like I described.
There is a good chance that the one DocDryden bought 6-8 months ago has the same type I described.

The B & S manual does not describe the choke operation at all. I verified the operation of the choke on the 20 ton Huskee 6.5 B & S thru Speeco Technical Support.

I do not know how old your 6.5 B & S 22 ton Huskee is.
Or when the this choke design was put into production, but Doc Dryden only has to call Speeco Technical Support
1-800-525-8322 and talk to Kevin or Carolyn to find out.

Latest posts

Back