Huskee 35 Ton Log Splitter lube on beam?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ward_clerk

Reaction score
Just bought a Huskee 35 ton, based on the great feedback on this site. Much appreciate the dialogue on this forum.

If the plate on the wedge and the ibeam are both metal, then why does SpeeCo not recommend some type of lube between the two?
I would think that as soon as the wedge starts biting into the log, then some friction would naturally happen with the wedge plate and the beam or guide channel.
I'm thinking any type of lubricant could only help reduce wear - Am I off on this?
If anyone else is lubing the beam, what are you using?

If you really want to lube it only use dry lubes. The kind that do not attract or retain contaminants. But hey there are just as many on the other side of the fence sloshing what ever is handy on them. I figure I have enough mess with out adding to it.

I use a new non-caloric silicon based kitchen lubricant that creates a surface 500 times more slippery than any cooking oil.

So, you use PAM? :cheers:

As to the OP'er I use nothing.You will be surprised how much debris get shoved to the back of your wedge when splitting. If you use a lubricant that isn't dry, all that stuff will stick to the working surfaces and eventually cause more binding and wear.

My splitter actually comes stock with grease zerks on the bottom the traveling wedge. I know better than to use grease, but I usually dump some used motor oil on the top of the i-beam and run the ram back and forth a few times before I split. It seems to keep things slippery enough for a splitting session.

I paint mine with a friction reducing paint called E-Z SLIDE. It stays on the beam better than anything else I have tried , and doesn't collect dirt like grease or oil. I got it at TSC for about 8 bucks a can if I remember right.

I paint mine with a friction reducing paint called E-Z SLIDE. It stays on the beam better than anything else I have tried , and doesn't collect dirt like grease or oil. I got it at TSC for about 8 bucks a can if I remember right.

is that the spray on graphite lube? we used to use something similar on the rails of carhaulers...that was good stuff

I think there isn't enough friction to worry about. Only way there'd be a lot of friction is if something isn't lined up straight. If the ram is pushing down into the beam that much there would be wear on the cylinder itself. I'd say that's why the Huskee is designed with enough play in the cylinder/ram to avoid to much friction

if it bothers you ... dump some oil down the tracks
either way makes little difference, your wood's got oil from chainsaws anyways.

sure you will reduce friction by putting oil down tracks... but have never seen my 35ton ram not be able to split anything. makes little to no difference to the ram...

My splitter actually comes stock with grease zerks on the bottom the traveling wedge. I know better than to use grease, but I usually dump some used motor oil on the top of the i-beam and run the ram back and forth a few times before I split. It seems to keep things slippery enough for a splitting session.

This is exactly what we do, but we also grease. Any collected woody-debris isn't gonna wear the steel, and if there's sand, mud, or rocks- you've got bigger problems. If you think there's not enough friction between the ram and beam, then you've not split enough firewood.

Latest posts

Back