Huskee leak out of top of reserve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skmag357

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I scored big time on some craigslist red oak that are like 42" rounds:jawdrop: Anyway, I have been splitting it up after work so that I can transport it home. It has been hot and humid here in Philly and while I was splitting, hydraulic fluid started to spray out of the reserve where the cap is on my huskee. It looked like it was coming out relief or air hole in the cap and it was coming out like a stream. My question is: was this caused by overheating the fluid or is something else wrong? I was only splitting for about an hour when this happened. I haven't been back over to check it out yet and I am going to check the hydraulic levels now that it has cooled but should I be wary of anything else? Let me know. Thanks

Steve

my iron and oak did this also turned out it wasnt level, stuck some boards under one tire and no more leaks just a thought

Yeah I also had that happen with my 22 ton huskee on unlevel surface. My question is if I filled up hydraulic fluid in winter to pretty much full, will it expand a bit in the summer heat in my shed and leak a bit out of the relief valve? I am assuming that is sort of what it is for I guess. Anyone else had this happen?

Yep, happend to me when I filled up my new homemade splitter...put hydro fluid in, then ran it for a few minutes, then it overflowed out breath/filler cap...lost a quart....splitter was telling me I put to much in. Its fine now after it purged what it didnt need.

Yea it happened again last night about three times....now that I think about it, I am splitting on a slight slope and the reserve was filled up to the top. It probably sit out a quart as well so hopefully now it won't happen much anymore....thanks guys!

Same here with a 22 ton huskee...it doesnt take much lean to make it spit up.

It seems like a better breather would be a nice add on. Something with a filter. The hole drilled in the plug has a lot to be desired. Probably cut down on the spillage as well. KD

Kevin at SpeeCo weighs in

You are all correct about why this particular symptom can happen. Keep in mind that the two lines on the dipstick on your speeco unit are simply showing you the range of where the hydraulic fluid should be. It is not necessary to fill the unit completely to the top line. The fluid needs room to breath/expand when needed. Top reasons for fluid escaping the breather hole are:
1. fluid level is too high
2. operating on a non level surface
3. breather hole could have been plugged with debris causing a build up of pressure which suddenly releases when the debris is cleared of the hole (perssure buildup)

Hope this helps

Kevin at SpeeCo.

Hi Kevin, any way you can tell me what size and thread pattern the fill plug is? I would like to find a filtered breather for it. Thanks, KD

Back