Huskee/Speeco Log Splitter Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SpeeCo Splitters

I bought a SpeeCo 5 Ton splitter from TSC and I LOVE IT! I am considering a SpeeCo/Huskee 22 Ton or 35 Ton. From the threads, it sounds like the best splitter on the market by far. Is the 35 Ton worth the extra cash?

Well I went ahead and ordered a Speeco Splitmaster 25 Ton vert/horiz splitter shown here:
db2359e168aff3a1d60f2607fefe9fdd.jpg
90beba98e9339bd3a20ced745f1d2faa.JPG
dbf23ae09c9b6318fe405b017d9ea2fa.JPG

I was able to get this splitter delivered to me for less than $200 over what the 22T Huskee would have cost me at TSC and only $60 over the cost of the 27 Ton Troy Built from Lowe's (including the 10% coupon). Compared to the Huskee, this machine has a bigger cylinder - 4.5" vs. 4"; a bigger pump - 16gpm vs. 11gpm; bigger engine - 305cc OHV 9.5hp horizontal shaft vs. 190cc L-Head 4.5hp vertical shaft engine, and a faster cycle time - 12 sec vs 14 sec. Compared to the TB it has bigger engine, bigger pump, faster cycle time, larger hyd. fluid capacity, longer warranty and a full length beam with end-support for the cylinder instead of the trunion-pin mount of the TB which I feel is a weak link without a reinforcement sleeve around the cylinder for extra strength.

The only "drawback" is that the Speeco does not ship with all fluids like the Huskee does, so add $40 - $50 for oils, but on the plus side I get to put it together myself so I won't have to go through and double check and/or correct TSC assembly techniques which I have heard can be questionable anyway. I have read the 22 Ton Huskee is very easy to move around by yourself, and it is - I stopped by a TSC and moved one. The 25 Ton is only about 50lbs heavier.

It is being drop shipped direct from the factory in Boulder, CO and should be here this week! I am really looking forward to testing it out as soon as I can get it up and running. I have talked with Kevin and I think Mike from Speeco already and they are extremely helpful & knowledgable. I doubt you would ever be able to get that type of communication or service from any of the foreign suppliers.

While I'm sure most of the components on the Speeco are imported it is nice to know that at least they are designed, engineered and assembled in these great United States so it is helping someone in Colorado keep their job and it's not costing me a large premium.

I will get pics up as soon as I can. :cheers::cheers:

I have the TSC 22 ton splitter ( Speeco ) with the 6.5 hp briggs , was wondering if anyone else has noticed how cold blooded they are , if I can't get my finger back on the primer bulb real fast it will stall , then it needs primed 3 or4 times to keep it running , not really a big deal , it might be because there isn't an actual choke position and there relying on the primer instead . Great splitter !!

I have the TSC 22 ton splitter ( Speeco ) with the 6.5 hp briggs , was wondering if anyone else has noticed how cold blooded they are , if I can't get my finger back on the primer bulb real fast it will stall , then it needs primed 3 or4 times to keep it running , not really a big deal , it might be because there isn't an actual choke position and there relying on the primer instead . Great splitter !!

I also have the 22 ton from tsc and have the same cold start issue but when it was 15 deg here it started with one pull and pushing the primmer 4 time after it was running.

You can thank the EPA for the non adjustable carb, they make all of them run very lean.

Latest posts

Back