Husky 142 E series engin rebuild...worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
SO I have a little Husky 142 E series Saw I got new a few years ago... it was running ok but would not idle so I took it into the shop to get it cleaned up and tuned but when they took it apart they discovered the cylinder and Piston were all scored up and told me its gone as in, throw it away and buy a new one...lol I was gonna get a new piston and rings and hone out the scored areas on the cylinder as best I could but saw that I could get the cylinder with piston, rings and, wrist pin and some other parts... for almost the price of just a honer tool. My question is... would it be worth it for me to buy this and do the work or just save some money and buy a new saw. this is just the back up saw... I still have my Stihl saw I use all the time so its not like I need to get a new one right now.

Lots of shops will steer you away from fixing something if they think they can sell something new. I would go for the repair if it was me.

Toss it and get yourself a new or slightly used stihl...like the one I'm currently selling. :innocent:

There is lots to be said about learning how to do the work. Especially when you can get a cylinder and piston kit for that saw for $20 on fleabay. That amount won't really make much of a dent in the price of another saw, even a Wild Thing.

donyboy73 has several good you tube vids on how to replace cylinder and piston kits on various size saws, both stihl and huskys.

well I got it all apart and im stuck on one thing. gaskets? It doesn't seem like there is supposed to be a gasket between the cylinder and the bottom pan. there looks to be a bead of something around the bottom though and around the bolts too maybe some thing like permatex gasket maker? But I have looked high and low and cant find anything about gaskets there's just the two oil seals that are on the crank shaft bearings. Does anyone know if there is a gasket for this thing or not? Im inclined to just thinking ill use a tiny permatex and that should be good to go.

well I got it all apart and im stuck on one thing. gaskets? It doesn't seem like there is supposed to be a gasket between the cylinder and the bottom pan. there looks to be a bead of something around the bottom though and around the bolts too maybe some thing like permatex gasket maker? But I have looked high and low and cant find anything about gaskets there's just the two oil seals that are on the crank shaft bearings. Does anyone know if there is a gasket for this thing or not? Im inclined to just thinking ill use a tiny permatex and that should be good to go.

Sealant can work, but it has to be the right type. If the manufacturer originally included a gasket there, I'd use that instead. Sealant must be both heat and gasoline resistant. You'll get much better results starting this topic over again on the chainsaw forum.

Thanks!
No, there was no gasket, it looks like there was just a bead of some type of rubber sealant. I guess that's what ill use. Thanks!

(I thought this was the chainsaw page.... lol)

Dirko red is what I use. Many others use hondabond or yamaha's version. Like chuckwood said, gotta be the right type, regular RTV won't cut it.

Latest posts

Back