Husky 142 - trouble shoot and rant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoJ

Reaction score
HI - Just introducing myself. I have a few acres to maintain and am hoping to actually get some cutting work done today instead of wasting away the hours trying to get my saw to start. It's 3 months old and has about 3 previously trouble-free hours on it. I've previously owned a Poulan and thought I was getting something decent when I bought a Husky. Apparently I did not spend enough money. My 7 year old $50 weadeater starts every time, even after letting it sit for over a year with fuel in it. I just wish they'd label the saws, "Pain in the butt" or "Not a pain in the butt" so I'd know which one to buy.

Here's what I've done so far:

- Made sure the fuel mixture is correct and not let fuel sit in it for longer than a few days.
- Followed the starting guidelines precisely.
- Washed the air filter per instructions.
- Verified that I have good spark.
- Made sure the chain brake was properly working.
- Verified I have what I believe to be good compression.
- Verified the fuel filter is not clogged.
- Verified fuel is flowing through the line to the carb.
- Let it sit for 24 hours without the plug or air filter on it
- Sprayed ether - didn't work, not even for a second
- Plug looks normal

Short of waiting 2 weeks for a service center job is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for your help!

(As a side note - I really should have taken advice and used a local mom and pop rather than buying it from Lowe's. Even though I had a gift card for Lowe's it has not been worth the hassle of dealing with their 30-day return policy. Despite showing them receipts detailing my purchases of $3k there in the last week they would not let me return or exchange the saw and treated me like crud through the whole process. From now on I'll only purchase outdoor power tools from places who have the ability to make exceptions to the policies that their store manager has tatooed on his forehead.)

Last edited:
If you spray ether and you dont get nothing,well it looks like ignition problem or bad compression.Even if you have spark on the plug ,it doesnt mean the ignition is good.
Try this again.Few drops of gas(not too much to flood it ) by the plug hole or the carb.Screw the plug,make sure the switch is on and pull the cord few time,if she doent start,you are left to check if the piston is not scored by removing the muffler and looking in the ex ports.If not scored,then i would say your ignition is gone.

HI - Just introducing myself. I have a few acres to maintain and am hoping to actually get some cutting work done today instead of wasting away the hours trying to get my saw to start. It's 3 months old and has about 3 previously trouble-free hours on it. I've previously owned a Poulan and thought I was getting something decent when I bought a Husky. Apparently I did not spend enough money. My 7 year old $50 weadeater starts every time, even after letting it sit for over a year with fuel in it. I just wish they'd label the saws, "Pain in the butt" or "Not a pain in the butt" so I'd know which one to buy.

Here's what I've done so far:

- Made sure the fuel mixture is correct and not let fuel sit in it for longer than a few days.
- Followed the starting guidelines precisely.
- Washed the air filter per instructions.
- Verified that I have good spark.
- Made sure the chain brake was properly working.
- Verified I have what I believe to be good compression.
- Verified the fuel filter is not clogged.
- Verified fuel is flowing through the line to the carb.
- Let it sit for 24 hours without the plug or air filter on it
- Sprayed ether - didn't work, not even for a second
- Plug looks normal

Short of waiting 2 weeks for a service center job is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for your help!

(As a side note - I really should have taken advice and used a local mom and pop rather than buying it from Lowe's. Even though I had a gift card for Lowe's it has not been worth the hassle of dealing with their 30-day return policy. Despite showing them receipts detailing my purchases of $3k there in the last week they would not let me return or exchange the saw and treated me like crud through the whole process. From now on I'll only purchase outdoor power tools from places who have the ability to make exceptions to the policies that their store manager has tatooed on his forehead.)

Ok the stihl guys are gonna have a ball with this and they are right
on those model's they are not good but you get what you pay for
I would get my money back and buy the 346xp.

Looks like you have the basics covered. Three things I can tell you: # 1 either is a no-no, never use it. #2 with a new saw never pull the rewind over three times with choke on unless you have run it out of fuel. You are suppose to pull until you hear it pop then push choke in half way. Some times it will not pop or it is so light you miss it. # 3 remove plug and burn off with lighter and blow out cylinder with air pressure if available. Then pull motor over several times and repeat procedure (to clean out any excess gas in bottom of engine). Once you have completed this put a little gas mix in the cylinder, replace plug and try to start saw (no choke). Tom

take it back and wait for the sevice center to repair it. may all ready be scored and if you tamper with it, they may deny a claim. sent out in a box it was never set up correctly. the service center should correct that.

Is it an E-series?

If so, they are real easy to flood......:angry2:

By no means pull more than 3 pulls on choke, and open it (push the lever in) earlier at the slightest hint that the saw wants to start.

Last edited:
Hm, my guess is classic 'overchoking' and flood. Warm day there? Do not use the choke, set the throttle and pull the darned thing! Dunno why but people figure ya have ta choke everything to start it, fine if it is winter (its not btw), gah, try it without first, and fer Dogs sake make sure the switch is 'on'.

A worthless and redundant post I am sure :D

:cheers: And welcome!

Serge

Edit> Niko, you're onta it already I see, sry, ;)

Last edited:
First get a new plug. I know for a fact on my old atv if it floods forget every drying the plug to use it. It will not work for some reason. Then with the switch off( double check just to be sure). crank the saw over a few times to clear out the crank case. Then install new plug. Move switch to ON and set the throttle . Do not set the choke at first. Try starting it. If it does not run, set teh choke on and give it 1 or 2 pulls then off choke and it should fire.
Bob

First get a new plug. I know for a fact on my old atv if it floods forget every drying the plug to use it. It will not work for some reason.

You must own a Honda? Very sensitive to choke.

I agree with the choke issue. I don't even use the choke for the few pulls. A lot of times it will turn over without it. If it doesn't, one pull with choke, it is off and running. My cousins little Poulan (pronounced Pull-On for that reason) always had trouble starting. He always said that he could never get it to start. I asked him what he was doing in the start up sequence, and he recited the Poulan "oath". Press the primer bulb three times and set the choke... I was like what?!?!? That thing would flood so bad, that it wouldn't start for a week. Told him never to use that dang primer bulb ever again, and always try to start it without the choke, just in case... and it has fired right up everytime. I can no longer exagerate his Poulan as PULL ON.

I think a lot of starting issues with saws, mowers, etc. is the lack of proper instruction on how to start it. I really believe that.

+1 on choking and plug.

The only hard starting problems I ever had, were linked to the spark plug. Amazing how $2 can solve such a headache. But it could be as bad as a bad ignition coil too.

You must own a Honda? Very sensitive to choke.

Nope, I got a wore out 1992 Polaris 250. That poor thing is a great runner. It been around the block many times. Its 4wd and I love it on the farm great machine to work cattle very nimble and fast.
Bob

i own a 142 and its allway been a pita too start but it will after about 7 or 8 full choke pulls,it and my 141 are allway harder to start than my bigger saws:chainsawguy:

I have a 141 that has been a good saw. Just have to know limitations when using it. As for starting, 3 pulls with choke gets it to pop. Turn off choke fires right off.

I've previously owned a Poulan and thought I was getting something decent when I bought a Husky.

Sorry to say so, but you pretty much just bought another Poulan.

The 137/142 are both on the way out. They will be replaced by the 235/240. The 240 will be out this fall; the 235 early 2008.

sounds flooded.dry off your plug. warm it up before putting it back.
the way to start a flooded saw is switch on ignition, dont use the decompvalve.
NO CHOKE,
FULL THROTTLE.
and pull like hell. she should go and keep her goin till all the excess fuel is burned.
maybe upgrade yor saw..
good luck

only 3 months old that stinks, I would try a new plug also,you can't tell by looking at them.
maybe you could take it to a local husky dealer and buy a new plug off of them and ask for forgiveness for buying it at lowe's.
not trying to be a wise guy,good luck with the little fella.

Last edited:
Update

Well first I'd like to thank everyone very much for all the suggestions. I frequent an auto enthusiast forum and can really appreciate the invaluable info. Unfortunetly none of the ideas worked so I took the saw in to the local Husky service center.

While I was there he ran most of the basic tests on it. Everything checked out, including verifying the correct fuel mixture. Then he checked the compression and said it registered at 1/3 the minimum factory spec. He's going to call me back after talking to Husky. He also gave me crap about buying from Lowe's. I could do nothing but agree with him 100%.

Someone above said something to the effect of "you get what you pay for" in regard to the $199 e-142. I have to disagree with that statement. If it were true I would have got $199 worth of use out of it. Instead I got much less out of it than what I paid, even at a 199 price point. I'm sure it will be fixed under wty but I've had my fill of wasting time.

Today I visited a Stihl premier dealer. I told them my story and they pointed out the Stihl poster on the wall stating "thats why we don't let Lowe's sell our Stihl products." The Stihl guy was very helpful and walked me through the plethora of saws they had, explaining everything well and answering all my questions. He showed me the basic mntc items, operation, etc. I purchased a Stihl MS290-18, a case, a second chain, and some synthetic for $430. I'm optimistic about the saw.

Coming soon to an ebay auction near you...a Husky 142.

Thanks again,
Jason

not surprised that its low on compresson ,( scored) saws not set up in a shop may very well be lean from the factory. i see that often as my shop is a repair center for poulan and basically thats what a small husky is. its not a bad saw when tuned correctly. should have been adjusted a little rich to start with. when you get it back it should start and run good.:pumpkin2: keep it for a back up.

Well first I'd like to thank everyone very much for all the suggestions. I frequent an auto enthusiast forum and can really appreciate the invaluable info. Unfortunetly none of the ideas worked so I took the saw in to the local Husky service center.

While I was there he ran most of the basic tests on it. Everything checked out, including verifying the correct fuel mixture. Then he checked the compression and said it registered at 1/3 the minimum factory spec. He's going to call me back after talking to Husky. He also gave me crap about buying from Lowe's. I could do nothing but agree with him 100%.

Someone above said something to the effect of "you get what you pay for" in regard to the $199 e-142. I have to disagree with that statement. If it were true I would have got $199 worth of use out of it. Instead I got much less out of it than what I paid, even at a 199 price point. I'm sure it will be fixed under wty but I've had my fill of wasting time.

Today I visited a Stihl premier dealer. I told them my story and they pointed out the Stihl poster on the wall stating "thats why we don't let Lowe's sell our Stihl products." The Stihl guy was very helpful and walked me through the plethora of saws they had, explaining everything well and answering all my questions. He showed me the basic mntc items, operation, etc. I purchased a Stihl MS290-18, a case, a second chain, and some synthetic for $430. I'm optimistic about the saw.

Congrats to the 290, hope your new saw will serve you much better! :clap:

But I'm a bit curious on why you did not have a look at a better, "real", Husqvarna while at the service center? Simply scared off by the experiences with your 142, or was the service guy giving you to much of a hard time to be considered someone you wanted to do business with?

I'm not picking at you, but either way, I would really like to hear your reason since Husqvarna not only got in trouble having to fix your old saw, but they also lost a customer and a new deal. Could this be because it might be a bad idea for them to put their name on a product assembled by a not too highly regarded manufacturer and keep rambling "it's of the same high Swedish quality, only adjusted to Poulan's way of doing things..." whenever the quality on those saws is questioned..?

Last edited:
Back